Honeymoon trip to Africa

Apr 2nd, 2001, 01:56 PM
Jet

Honeymoon trip to Africa

Any information on those unforgettable places, hotels that "made"you honeymoon is more than welcome.

South Africa, Namibia, Zimbawe - primarily

Thanks !

Apr 2nd, 2001, 09:55 PM
local

Hi Jet

Due to the vast distances, not only between these countries but also inside the countries, time could be an issue.

However, all of these countries provide incredible sights and I will name a few: (Is this your first visit to the area?)

In Zimbabwe - the Victoria Falls
In Namibia - the Namib desert
In South Africa, where I stay and therefor know a little more - the Garden Route in the south of the country around George; Cape Town; the Drakensberg on the Durban side of it; Kruger Park (although Pilanesberg close to Sun City is a very good second best); Sani Pass to the south west of Durban - going into Lesotho with the highest pub in Africa; the Ithala Game Reserve just south of Swaziland and the area around Pilgrims Rest close to the Kruger Park. Etc etc etc

See www.southafrica.net for more info.

Hotels? On our honeymoon we stayed at the Lord Milner hotel at Matjiesfontein south of Beaufort West and at the Drosdy hotel in Graaff Reinet (east of Port Elizabeth) but both of these are out of the way of the sights that I have suggested. Maybe somebody else can help with this.

Enjoy your visit!!

Apr 4th, 2001, 05:26 AM
Lisa

Victoria Falls Hotel is a lovely experience. It is an older hotel, by which I do not mean shabby, but has a lot of colonial, out-of -Africa, Livingstone and Stanley charm. There are newer hotels there , but I have not stayed at them, so cannot give you personal recommendations. Apparently Sun International is opening a new magnificent hotel on the Zambian side of the Falls. Should be very interesting. There are also good game reserves nearby Vic Falls, - Chobe and Hwange.

Not sure what your budget is, but if you want to splurge, the "safari" resorts in the Sabie Sand reserve offer an incredible experience. Sabi Sabi, Londolozi, Singita, etc.

Cape Town, again depending on budget, (these are all high end hotels at the Waterfront); the V&A, Table Bay Sun, Cape Grace.

In terms of experiences, Vic Falls and Cape Town are definite must sees as well as a game park or safari experience.

BTW, "local" gives excellent advice.

Apr 4th, 2001, 10:45 PM
Anna

We spent our honeympon in Zambia (not one of your list I realise) - and I would thoroughly recommend it. The advantage of Zambia is how few tourists go there. Nsefu Lodge in the South Luangwa National Park is probably the most romantic place I have ever been. Robin Pope (Tena Tena) is one of the best guides in Africa. We also stayed on the Zambian side of Vic. Falls (Tongabezi & River Club)and swam (with a guide) right up to the edge of the Falls (only possible at certain times of year). I would wholheartedly recommend it (in fact we went back last year).

WE combined the safari with some time in Mauritius. In hindsight, we should have gone to the beach first to recover from the wedsding and then hit the bush. Once you have been spoilt by intimate camps slepping 8 people - a luxury hotel sleeping 100+ comes as a bit of a shock.

I would consider somewhere like Lake Malawi instead of Mauritius next time.

Search this Thread