Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Africa & the Middle East (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/)
-   -   Honeymoon Plans - comments welcome (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/honeymoon-plans-comments-welcome-750437/)

Debbie_K Nov 26th, 2007 12:30 AM

Honeymoon Plans - comments welcome

Hi, we are planning a trip to Zambia and Mozambique for our honeymoon next June and would welcome thoughts on the accommodation below. We want to stay in the nicest on offer and it's just hard to know whether there are nicer places out there.

Option 1:
3 nights Vic Falls - Sussi & Chuma Lodge
3 nights South Luangwa - Puku Ridge Camp or Chichele Presidential Lodge
1 night Jo'burg
5 nights Mozambique - Benguerra Lodge

Option 2:
3 nights Vic Falls - Tongabezi
3 nights South Luangwa - Tena Tena
1 night Jo'burg
5 nights Mozambique - Benguerra Lodge

Doogle Nov 26th, 2007 04:34 AM

Dear Debbie

Congratulations on your upcoming wedding. I have stayed at all the accommodation you are asking about so let me quickly run through it for you:

Sussi& Chuma VS Tongabezi - Both spectacular, however with Sussi and Chuma now being taken over by Sanctuary, I believe they have refurbed it and it is looking gorgeous, so I would opt for this one as it will be beautiful.

Puku Ridge or Chichele - Stay at both, treat yourself to two nights at each it is unbelievable! I prefer them to Tena, but then that is personal as tena is also lovely.

Beguerra Lodge - For my honeymoon I would prefer Marlin Lodge, to me it is more for honeymooners, I found Benguerra tohave an lder clientele and the baths and special treats Marlin Lodge gives Honeymooners as this is their target market, makes it a honeymoon not to be forgotten!!!

I hope this helps, come back with great memories!!

Debbie_K Nov 26th, 2007 05:27 AM

Thank you so much for your reply. It's so difficult making the decision. The difference between the two itineries were that the first was through Scott Dunn and the second through Abercrombie and Kent. Do you have any experience of either of these companies?

Doogle Nov 26th, 2007 05:34 AM

Well let me guess the first one was through A&K as that is all their properties. A&K is world renowned they are known throughout the world and they offer great service and the price should be competative, I am surprised that they both gave you beguerra though as it really and truely is for the older market, I far prefer Marlin it is soooooooooooo romantic...but again that is your choice!
Acott Dunn is also good, they are both good operators, genrally i find if I book with an operator in South Africa direct you are going to get better rates so do a comparison and see what you get.

Debbie_K Nov 26th, 2007 08:19 AM

Thanks - actually on one earlier quote, scott dunn had put down Marlin Lodge. I'm not sure why they changed it. I think I said I wanted luxury all the way and perhaps they thought it was. Is Marlin cheaper? I'll look into it as your recommend sounds good.
Could you suggest a S. Africa operator? My quotes are quite comparable but always up for saving some money. I'm terrible at making decisions but you sounds like you'd definitely go for the first option.

Doogle Nov 27th, 2007 01:26 AM

Hi Debbie

There are a number of really excellent ground handlers in South Africa.

To name a few:
Akorn Destinations
CC Africa
Journeys Beyond
Rhino Africa

I can get you their contact details, but I would say send them an e-mail and see who comes back to you witht eh best proposal and amount on information, a good way to tell the difference is not to give them the properties, but the areas and see what they suggest. I know that Akorn Destinations is a division of Sanctuary lodges so my guess would be you would get a good deal as they are their lodges, but I could be wrong!

sandi Nov 27th, 2007 03:37 AM

Akorn and Sanctuary are div of A&K.

Doogle Nov 27th, 2007 04:20 AM

Thanks for clarifying that.

I am sure that they work independently though as Akorn def does not have the same charges as A&K