Honeymoon ideas for May 2011???

Feb 20th, 2011, 09:44 PM
Original Poster

Honeymoon ideas for May 2011???

We were going to Egypt for two weeks but still very much undecided because of the recent turmoil. I also considered Dubai, but many persons here in the forum did not recommend Dubai as an ideal honeymoon destination.

We also considered Italy (Venice, Florence, & Rome) but the poor exchange rate on the USD makes that trip seem a bit pricey. I would love to do Europe but not sure that 2 weeks will be within budget. Paris would be a consideration but I have been there with an ex, so she does not want to go there for our honeymoon.

We are 32 & 37 and want to relax on our honeymoon but also sightsee and explore the local culture. She likes the beach (and can be there for hours), but I like to get out, see the city and explore. She has mostly done Jamaica, Cancun, etc. I have mostly traveled in Europe, Asia and Africa so our travel experiences are very different. Also her longest trip has been 4-5 days while I have vacationed for 4-5 weeks at a time.

We are not really looking to do anything within the Caribbean.

As you can tell, we are stumped because Egypt was our ideal destination. We were practically packed and ready to go. Now we have to start from the beginning to decide. Our travel budget is $ $10,000 USD maybe a bit more if needed.

Here is a list of places that we have considered but please make suggestions:

Maldives
Kenya with a Safari
Egypt (including 9 day Nile River cruise)
Italy (Venice, Florence & Rome)
Dubai (Marriott Dubai & Atlantis Palm)

I am sure that I have left out some details of what we like and are looking for. But any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Feb 21st, 2011, 03:01 AM

I hope you will stay with Egypt, but dump that 9 day Nile cruise. She might think it is OK, but you will be bored to tears. Can you say REPETITIVE? There is only a small area of the Nile that you can cruise on - it takes maybe 3 days maximum to make that distance so what do you think you'll be doing for the other 6 days? From what you've said, I think you'd be happier on the Sinai (although May will be VERY hot) so she has the beach and you have other activities, like snorkeling, hiking, and more to keep you occupied.

If Egypt does not work out for you this May, why are you not considering Bangkok and the rest of Thailand or somewhere else in SE Asia? SE Asia is affordable (like Egypt) and offers beaches and sites to see for both of you.
Feb 21st, 2011, 04:53 AM

www.zicasso.com

Can get you several nice itineraries for Safari

perhaps Chobe Lodge Victoria Falls within your budget.

For romance Italy or Greece would still be my favs.

Am personally doing Italy in April self booking self guiding

under $2K all in with nice 4-5 sars everywhere such as

www.betterbidding.com

Intercontinental Rome 5* from $180/nt

Hilton Molino Stukey 5* from $120

www.hotelsantacaterina.it for a splurge

fast nice trains from 10 euro per hour

Would make a romantic wonderful HM well withing your budget.

Congrats!
Feb 21st, 2011, 05:51 AM

I hope that you will decide on Egypt, and I agree with Casual_Cairo about the 9 day cruise.

But I will once again throw out Turkey as an alternative - lovely beach areas, great culture, and incredible archeological sites.

Cyprus is another thought, but I don't know if I would do it for 2 weeks.
Feb 21st, 2011, 01:33 PM

Ahhh- yes Turkey is a good idea and May should be nice. You can spend some time in Istanbul, then head to the Med Sea in a little sea side city like Side - I stayed there once. It was very nice and quite a bit to do around there that is touristy. Or pick another city - there are lot's of nice places along the coast.
Greece would be wonderful too, but more expensive.
Feb 21st, 2011, 02:44 PM

Another vote here, if Egypt you don't need 9/days cruising the Nile. You can spend a few days Cairo, Luxor, 3/nts cruise... then off to Kenya. Many combine both countries as you've noticed.

Turkey is absolutely fascinating, with a bit of everything and is priced well.

Also, Southeast Asia - Thailand, Cambodia... also priced well and you have lots of beach choices after all the temples.

If not sure about Egypt at this point, then only Kenya in May (into mid-June), though the end of the "rains" which even if it does, are brief, won't inhibit safari... prices are at "low" season and a perfect time to visit and then spend a few days on the coast... Lamu Island is lovely and remote. Can very well work with your budget during that time.

Let us know of your progress/decision.
Feb 21st, 2011, 03:58 PM
Original Poster

Thank you everyone for your comments and suggestions. I am considering Egypt (maybe), Turkey (although Ineed to do some research on where to stay, things to do, etc.), and maybe Kenya (although I have heard that it may be expensive there).

BTW, the cruise in Egypt was 7 days (visiting Aswan, Abu Simbel, Edfu, Luxor, Esna, zmc Philae).

I truly appreciate all of the suggestions. Almost pulling my hair out trying to make the "perfect" honeymoon, especially after the occurences in Egypt.

Thanks again
Feb 22nd, 2011, 04:09 AM

Egypt could still be the PERFECT honeymoon, and something much more exciting to talk about on your 50th anniversary!