Honeymoon help, South africa, london, paris

Old Oct 26th, 2010, 05:25 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Honeymoon help, South africa, london, paris

Hello, i am getting married in June 2011, and have been working hard trying to plan my honeymoon. First of all, a little about me... im from Dominican Republic, so i am not interested in going to a beach destination. i want to go somewhere far and that will be difficult for me to return. For this reason i thought of of South Africa. For logistics reasons (trying to minimize the amount of flights i take) i thought of the following itinerary.

SDQ-MAD-LHR -> i was thinking of staying 3 nights in London
LHR-CPT --> Direct flight to Cape town, where i am planning to stay 4 nights.
CPT-Singita -> I want to spend 3 nights in Singita Boulders camp.
JNB-Paris --> from JNB, i would fly to Paris via London to stay for 3 nights in the city of lights.
From Paris, i would return again to SDQ via MAD.
In total, i can do this itinerary in 13 hotel nights, for a total of 15 days, while getting on 10 airplanes in total.

I would appreciate your thoughts on this itinerary. Is it more of a tour than a honeymoon? Should i remove Paris and/or London and add 2 nights at Victoria falls? Thank you very much for your time!
Old Oct 26th, 2010, 06:27 AM

In my opinion, I think you'd be better off deciding if you'd like to do a European or African honeymoon. Otherwise one of the highlights (lowlights?) of your honeymoon might be how many different airports you visited.

Because I'm biased in favor of Africa, I'd recommend it. It certainly meets your distance criterion and it would likely be much different than other places you've visited. After arriving in CT you could begin to relax and savor what is truly a world-class city. Following several days in CT, you could move up to the Kruger region and enjoy several nights at Singita. If you have the time you could certainly head to Vic Falls---a sunset cruise on the Zambezi River would fit in nicely with a honeymoon. From VF you could start your trip home.

Good luck with your plans and the wedding. Steve
Old Oct 26th, 2010, 07:21 AM

15 days incl. travel time for TWO continents is a bit too much of a rush for my taste.

For sure the itinerary you have in mind is memorable in many ways: airports, destinations, time on aircrafts, jet leg.

I support Steve here and would limit any trip, but certainly a honeymoon, to either Europe or Africa.

Cape Town, Sabi Sands, Okavango Delta, Vic Falls and back home.....would be my recommendation.

Happy travels and enjoy the anticipation for both: Wedding and honeymoon!

Old Oct 26th, 2010, 07:38 AM
Original Poster

sdb2 and spasvogel, i really appreciate your input and wishes. Thank you very much. Deep down i agree with what you are saying, that i should focus on either Europe, or Africa. I have a question, my alternatives to getting to South Africa are the following: SDQ-Atlanta-JNB, sdq-JFK-JNB, or via europe, either through madrid, london or paris. This is the reason why i chose to stay a couple of days in europe before heading to Africa. What are your thoughts on this? Once again, i am very grateful for your support.
Old Oct 26th, 2010, 07:51 AM

Either of SDQ-Atlanta-JNB or SDQ-JFK-JNB would work. I prefer the South African Airways JFK-JNB flight (#204) that leaves in the a.m. primarily because it arrives early the next day (about 8:40 am). Delta and SAA from Atlanta get you into JNB between 5-6 p.m., I believe. But you need to look at your connections from SDQ to pick the right US to SA flight.

My preference, too, is to avoid stops in Europe. You never know what delays you might encounter along the way. So, I like getting on the plane in the US, settling in and knowing the next stop is SA.
Old Oct 26th, 2010, 04:54 PM

I would spend all the time in S Africa, too. BUT - if you decide to do anything in Europe, do it at the beginning of your trip, not the end. We have done this, and it works well. Paris is my favorite city and southern Africa holds my heart. I'd do Paris next time since you are doing Capetown or skip Capetown. More time on safari, and there are lots of options besides Singita so your $$ can go further (so you can add more nights on safari!)
Old Oct 27th, 2010, 03:53 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all for your help, you have helped me narrow down my focus to South Africa. how does this itinerary sound for SA: 4 nights Cape Town, 2 nights le quartier francais, 3nights safari. or should i take out le quartier francais and add 2 night at Victoria Falls, or take out a night from cape town and add it to the Safari? Many thanks, once again!
Old Oct 27th, 2010, 05:37 AM

I think on this one the two of you may need to put your heads together and decide what you'd like to do. Below is some info to help.

If you really love wine, the Winelands, I would think, will not disappoint you and you should have a relaxing time (there are scads of wineries, many with restaurants, which offer the chance to dally while tasting wines and having a cozy meal). However, in June, you could experience rain and cooler temperatures (that's not to say you'll experience that--the weather could stay fine and dry, who knows?). In any event you should have less tourists sharing the place with you and if the weather is a bit off you can hunker down and enjoy the amenities of the place you stay at (e.g., wine, good food and perhaps a blazing fireplace for you and your wife to enjoy).

You should experience better weather up in the Kruger region in June (cool nights, warm days) and good to excellent game-viewing. At any rate, I'd say add a day or two on safari. The lodges treat visitors royally and it's a great way to spend a honeymoon. There's an excellent chance the safari will be the highlight of the trip.

If you decide against the Winelands, then two nights tops in Vic Falls is a good alternative. As an aside, many people say going to Africa is a once in a lifetime trip. However, many who say that find themselves returning again (and again and again). So, don't try to do everything---you may well be back.
Old Oct 27th, 2010, 07:59 AM

Definitely decide between an African or European honeymoon, both are equally rewarding, but Africa has a special place in many hearts, when they finally come here. Some very beautiful destinations to consider as a honeymoon destination in SA, which is many worlds in one. Another option to look at is the Kzn Safari's, different vegetation to Kruger and you can drive thro Swaziland stopover at Phophoyane Falls and then continue back in to SA and do Phinda or Thanda or one of the many other reserves in this area. Phinda alone has seven different eco systems http://kimssouthafrica.blogspot.com/...wazulu.htmland there is also the beautiful Isimangaliso lakes to explore as well http://www.isibindi.co.za/kfl/index....om/cheetah.htm., http://www.makakatana.co.za/. The Kruger area also has much more to offer than just the park, the Panorama Route is beautiful as well http://www.sa-venues.com/attractions...a_panorama.htm.
The fairest city of all is undoubtedly Cape Town. So much to see and do in SA alone and so little time.

www.kimssouthafrica.blogspot.com
Old Oct 27th, 2010, 09:54 AM

Okay - one more input:

AVOID flying via Paris and/or Heathrow. Both are nighmares!!

And: Think of delay due to probable strike and/or terrorism threads which might lead to delays which then destroy your SA portion/safari.

- Cape Town: 3 nights (Robben Island, Kirstenbosch Gardens, Table Mountain, markets, etc etc)
- Franschhoek: 2 nights (enjoy "Tasting Room at LQF for 2 dinners, visit the winlands surrounding Franschhoek)
- up to Sabi Sands (morning flight!): 3 nights
- Proceed further to Botswana - one more night in JNB: 1 night
- Okavango Delta: 3 nights
- Proceed to Kasane and cross border midday for Livingstone and the Falls
- Tongabezi or Sindabezi/Livingstone: 1 night
Back home

13 nights before heading back to DOM REP.

What about that?

Old Oct 29th, 2010, 08:52 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all for you help! I am heading to South Africa for sure. I dont know about venturing to Botswana as well, but lets see... right now im leaning towards the following:
3nights Cape town
2nights le quartier francais
4nights safar (Sabi Sands) im not sure between singita (too expensive), rattray, lion sands, londozi or sabi sabi.
2nights Victoria Falls (either at the livingstone hotel or queen victoria)

Thanks once again, i really appreciate your time!
Old Oct 29th, 2010, 10:10 AM

pfm81, sounds like a good itinerary! You'll love it. Have fun!!
Old Oct 29th, 2010, 10:11 AM

BOUGHT!

Now comes the next difficult part: CHOOSING VENUES!

That's becoming hard, believe me! ;-)

But you are doing fine so far

Old Oct 29th, 2010, 11:19 AM
Original Poster

I am having the most trouble deciding my Safari Lodge. Every time i find one that i like, i find another that seems better. Ive looked into the following:

Sabi Sabi - from selati to the lourenco marques honeymoon suite to the earth lodge. They range in price from ZAR5550-8500. On Conde Nast this camp receives a 93.

Mala Mala - I would be interested in Rattray, which cost US$875. On Conde Nast they get a rating of 90.9, however, ive read mixed reviews on this camp.

Lions Sand - Ivory lodge - ZAR9500. This look very luxurious and romantic, however, when i look at a map of Kruger, their area is quite small compared to mala mala and the others, and i dont know if it will affect game viewing.

Singita - Boulders, this is my top choice, and they get a 97 in Conde nast. however, it is too expensive at almost ZAR12000.

Leopards Hill - ZAR7900. this is my most recent find. It looks great, however it seems to be in between singita, and londolozzi, but is not next to any river. the reviews seem great, but not sure about this.

Ulusaba - on their website the facilities look great, however i dont seem to get any current reviews.

Any thoughts on any of these places?
Many thanks once again with your help!!!
Old Oct 29th, 2010, 11:38 AM

You mentioned Londolozi earlier. It's one of my favorite safari places. It has several camps to choose from. Some friends just came back from a stay at Rattray's and Londolozi. They loved the two places but felt a bit more at home in Londolozi.

Generally speaking, you're right about considering traversing area as a criterion in your decision-making. Perhaps others will give their thoughts about the lodges you cited. But I think you need to consider your decision as totally win-win.
Old Oct 29th, 2010, 01:41 PM

sdb2 - mine also!

LONDO's GRANITE SUITE ! I would go married for a stay - if I already weren't ;-)

Old Oct 29th, 2010, 02:03 PM

SV, what a great statement---very funny!
Old Oct 29th, 2010, 11:01 PM

First, don't spend the time and effort to go to the JNB/Joburg area and then stay only 3 nights in a safari camp there. Do 5 nights.

I used Conde Nast to pick a safari camp (Khwai River Lodge, Botswana) in 2005. Was the last time I gave any credibility to Conde Nast.

I was at Leopard Hills for 5 nights in May of 2007. Loved it, but I think MalaMala main camp (been there 3 times) while not as plush as Leopards Hills (plunge pool every room) is a better camp for seeing big 5. Londolozi in Sabi Sand continually gets gets rave reviews (but a bit $$$). I think you will be very happy with any camp in Sabi Sand. But again, don't go over to JNB for only 3 nights/days on safari.

regards - tom
Old Oct 29th, 2010, 11:28 PM

Tom,

Glad to hear you saying Conde Nast is useless. Lesson learnt I suppose.

Three nights on safari (in f.e. Sabi Sands) is enough on a two weeks honeymoon unless you are both passionate about wildlife. The great thing about SA is the variety of things on offer !!!
Old Oct 30th, 2010, 08:33 PM

pfm81,
Congrats on the wedding and on the excellent decision of Africa for the honeymoon!

We did 2 weeks in Africa for our honeymoon in early June 2008. Here is our itinerary (we flew through Amsterdam b/c we had ff miles on KLM)

Days 1-2: JoBerg. We have some good family friends who let us crash with them (and crash we did after 24 hours in the air!) Toured Pretoria, JoBerg, etc. (Didn't make it to Soweto on this trip, but I had gone on a previous trip w/o HB. HIGHLY recommmend it.)

Days 3-5: Sabi Sabi Selati camp. LOVELY. They upgraded us to the wedding suite at no extra cost. VERY romatic location. I don't remember seeing the fence, but there were enough other sights keeping my eyes and mind active!

Day 6: Back to JoBurg, stayed night out by airport for early morning flight to Namibia. (A breather day, if you will)

Day 7-11: Namibia. One night in Windhoek followed by 3 nights at the Sossusvlei Mountain Lodge (now Sossusvlei Desert Lodge) followed by another night in Windhoek. If you have ANY interest in the desert, I highly recommend this sidetrip. It was amazing. Driving through the Namibian countryside was otherworldly. Talk about no fences! No anything but dirt road for seven hours!

Day 12: Cape Town
Day 13: Stellenbosch
Day 14: Franschhoek (we liked Stellenbosch much better)
Day 15: Cape Town
Day 16: The long flight home

I agree, that three nights on safari is plenty as there is sooo much to see in Africa.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -