Search

Egypt-trip report

Search this Thread

Old Mar 6th, 2006, 11:02 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Egypt-trip report

I can see that people misunderstand my first message, that was not my attention. We spend 2 weeks in Cairo in sep. 2005 and had a great time.
We arrived at Cairo airport at the 11.th of sep. early in the evening (what a nightmare, because the only thing we had planned before we left Denmark was flight and hotel). With a father who is almost blind, a mother who was nervous and a husbond who was tired, is was almost like travelling with 3 children in the age of 2 that cant do anything on their own (for an outsider this must have looked very funny. I got the troops together and got all our luggage. We must have looked like an easy target cause a little egyptian lady contacted us and suddenly we had agreed to a 3 day sightseeing. The company got us a car to take us to our hotel and thats where we met the traffic in Cairo. The driver must have thought we were crazy because we just laughed all the way (we had been talking of renting a car and go by our selfs to all the sights).
Day 1 in Egypt:We were picked up at our hotel and went to see the pyramids in Gisa (they were BIG, eventhough we had seen pictures of them, it was impressive standing by their side, then of to the Sphinx, a place were you get the big view and ofcourse camelride ( a camel is a very big animal when you get up on it). Then of to papyrusmuseum (spent a lot of money there),then a nice lunch and off to perfumeplace (spending more money), then off to se some other pyramids, carpetschool, home to the hotel bathing, having an icecream and relax for 1 hour and the last thing of the day: Dinner at a boat on the Nile with egyptian entertainment. At 01pm it was time to go to bed.
Day 2 in Egypt:Got picked up again by Ahmed and our drivers and went to the egyptian museum, the old part of Cairo, Mohammed Ali mosque, golden eagle bazar (buying gold), lunch and finally a shop where we bought loads of clothes. Home to the hotel having dinner and relaxing. Ending the day at the sound and lightshow at the pyramids in Giza.
Day 3 in Egypt: Early up again (who said vacation??) off to Alexandria to see all the sights there.
Day 4 and 5 in Egypt: sitting by the pool ( do I have to say anything else? ;o) ).
Day 6 in Egypt: My husbond and I ment it was time for us to see Cairo on our own. We wanted to go to the zoo and we took the shuttlebus in to the center of Cairo. We had read something about a riverbus going to a place near the zoo and we wanted to try this. Standing there, trying to figure out and explain to some egyptian men what is was we wanted, we got contacted by Ahmed who was very surprised that we went around by our selfs and was afraid for our safety ( that ment that in a few minuts we were 3 going on this tour to the zoo). The egyptian men were trying to sell me a hole f... boat to take me and my husbond down the nileand that was not what I asked for. Ahmed took us to the right riverbus and payed for our trip (dont think tourists normally take this kind of transport, cause everybody was looking at us like we just had landed from out of space or something like that). It was friday and the egyptians had the day off and a lot of familys apparently spend that day at the zoo (we were the only tourists there).
The rest of the time Ahmed took us to a lot of places where tourists normally dont come and that was great.
I could go on and on telling about this trip and I can only say: GO TO EGYPT it is worth it and is an fantastic place.
Old Mar 6th, 2006, 03:03 PM

Hello!

I lived in Cairo, Egypt for five years and loved every minute of it. My last trip was in 2001. I lived in Heliopolis, but stayed many weekends at Mena House across from the pyramids. At night I used to ride camels, from a private stable and ride with my husband and a guide into the desert, under the moon with a light breeze and meanwhile the sound and light show was broadcast at the pyramids. It was magical and no tourists or heat!

I learned arabic and lived among Egyptians, who were my neighbors in a lovely apartment. It was indeed a good place to be, and they could not do enough for me In fact they sought me out to do things.

It is always nice to hear from those who visit and have a great time. Egyptians are their best when they have guests and are so welcoming and hospitable. It is my second home...and I will always love it.

Ma'Salaama
Old Mar 7th, 2006, 03:12 AM

Better job promoting yourself - nice idea to try to create some posts under your name to create a history here.

But sorry, still not convinved you are for real!
Old Mar 7th, 2006, 04:23 AM

Cairo is a wonderful city, but 2 weeks is a VERY long time to spend there. You got us through Day 6 - what did you do after that? Why didn't you do a Nile Cruise or at least go to Luxor?
Old Mar 7th, 2006, 07:32 AM
Original Poster

To Gail

Since you are so sure that I dont exsist, please look at this page www.fotopages.com/cgi-bin/account.pl?page=2. I realize by now that I did it wrong in first attempt, but no one is perfect. I get sad when people is so suspecius on other people, Im trying to gain some trust here but you are so convinced that all people are lyers and cheaters. Sorry, but I just had to get this of my cheast. If You have further quastions you are welcome to contact me on mail: [email protected]
Old Mar 7th, 2006, 01:25 PM

Actually I'm convinced by Alfie (which I wasn't by her first post - I too assumed it was from Ahmed) - the details are bizarre but they do have a ring of truth about them (would Ahmed be so blunt about his customers?!).

Thanks for posting, Alfie, and I'm glad to have heard more about your trip. What else did you see in Cairo?
Old Mar 10th, 2006, 08:27 AM
Original Poster

Ups. Ruth has told me that the link to fotopage dosnt work. Try this one instead:http://alfies.fotopages.com