Honeymoon

Mar 21st, 2006, 05:46 AM
Original Poster

Honeymoon

My fiance and I are interested in a safari honeymoon. We aren't sure if we would prefer Tanzania or SA. Does anyone know which would be better for about 5 days of safari? We would like to be on safari for about 5 days and then do some r&r for another 3. Also, if you have some suggestions for places to stay at(preferably tented camps) that are less than 300pp per night, that would be great. I should also mention that we would like to go between late May and early July.

Thanks!
Mar 21st, 2006, 06:04 AM

drmonab,

I think a beautiful place for both a honeymoon and a late May visit would be Luangwa River Lodge in South Luangwa National Park in Zambia. This puts you right in the middle of SA and Tanzania and the weather will be beautiful at this time of year.

www.luangwariverlodge.com

If you were to complete your safari portion by May 31st, the rates would be $340 per person per night sharing, however, with a paid five night visit, you would get your sixth night free, making your stay only $1,700 per person and this is all-inclusive once you fly to South Luangwa from Lusaka.

The flight to Lusaka is a painless one...a 2 hour flight from Johannesburg or a direct flight from London, although that direct flight does tend to be expensive. Then from Lusaka, it is a one hour flight to South Luangwa.

Luangwa River Lodge, in my opinion, offers one of the best values of any safari lodge, and it would be hard to find a more luxurious lodge that is not double its pricetag.

For your R&R, you may choose to spend those three nights in Europe (if you are an American, especially, and choosing to fly through Europe to get to Southern Africa, which has always been my preferred route), or you could spend those three nights in Cape Town which will be just starting its rainy season.

However, if you did want to stick with South Africa, one option that would not be too expensive would be a stay at a place like Elephant Plains in the Sabi Sand. Here you will not likely see the overall diversity and numbers of animals and birds as in South Luangwa, but you will more than likely see the Big Five and possibly also see cheetah. Best of all, however, will be the up close leopard viewing.

A luxury suite at Elephant Plains for the time of year you are proposing is R1760 per person, or about $278 per person per night (the Rand is currently at 6.32 to 1.0 USD). I do think a four night visit here would suffice, and the extra day would be well advised to spend in Cape Town or possibly spend two nights in Cape Town and two nights in the Cape Winelands, although the Winelands will be chilly at night.

Hope this helps. Congratulations on your upcoming wedding and honeymoon.

However, if you were to stay in South Africa, there are options such as
Mar 21st, 2006, 06:08 AM

I forgot to provide you with the website for Elephant Plains:

www.elephantplains.com

Also, FYI, there is a direct flight between Joburg to Elephant Plains for about R3150 per person or you may choose the flight between KMIA and Elephant Plains if you are connecting to/from Cape Town, for a price of about R1400 for a return (round trip) flight between KMIA and Elephant Plains.

Cheers.
Mar 21st, 2006, 08:49 AM

Hi drmonab,

I’ve been to Kenya 3 times in June and I’ve never been close to paying as much as $ 300 pn for a single tent. Even if prices have gone up, you shouldn’t have a problem – especially not in May that’s low season with beautiful high grass and no crowds in the Mara. Many places have low season rates for June as well.

Some tented camps in or close to the Mara that would suit your budget are Basecamp, Ilkeliani, Kicheche, Kichwa Tembo.

http://www.basecampexplorer.com/masaimara/en
http://www.ilkeliani.com/
http://www.kicheche.com/
http://www.ccafrica.com/destinations...ccom-tents.asp

Then you could go to the island of Lamu, as long as “R & R” doesn’t mean rock ‘n’ roll – and I’ve seen enough of this abbreviation to be confident it doesn’t.
I haven’t been to Tanzania, but it appears to be more expensive than Kenya.

Congratulations!

Search this Thread