Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (
-   Africa & the Middle East (
-   -   Honey's Cubs (

safarimama Sep 11th, 2008 09:41 PM

Honey's Cubs
I’m just back from Kenya and the Masai Mara.

I have to report that Honey’s three cubs are doing well. We ran into Jonathan Scott at a river crossing in the Rhino Ridge area one afternoon, not having seen a crossing. He wanted to know if we had spotted the three cheetahs. I immediately recognized him from the Big Cat Diary and inquired if they were Honey’s cubs. Indeed they were and he said they were in the area. We exchanged sorrow over little Toto. Jonathan admitted it was one of his weakest moments ever when little Toto went missing. He so wanted to help little Toto fight the baboons etc.

Jonathan had an idea where to find Honey’s cubs, so we followed him to a lone acacia tree and there ... resting in the shade, were the three cubs. Jonathan was alone in his Big Cat Diary vehicle, but I saw no cameras in his specially designed side “pocket” area. The cubs were resting peacefully and seemed very healthy. I could see a little baby fuzz still on their necks. I assume that they are about two years old now if they were about 5 months old when Honey died on February 17, 2007. They are tall, strong and gorgeous. My guide Melvin said that he’s seen them take down topies; sorry Nyamera, but this is so. Anup Shah was in camp with us and he’s seen them take down wildebeest also. Anup Shaw is a prize winning photographer and contributor to National Geographic Magazine; his images can be seen here:

Two days later, on the way to look for a crossing (which we never did see), we found the cubs again, but this time they were 40 km away in the Burrungat Plains. Again, they were resting under a lone acacia tree, but fidgety. They seemed to be hungry and were on the lookout. There was no signs of Jonathan Scott, the BBC film crew or Anup Shah, who we ran into sitting by a burrow since 5am, where a mama serval cat was hiding with two small cubs; he was waiting for them to emerge, but he didn’t see them again and left by 8pm. That’s how you get good pictures … sometimes. He was there for 2 and a half months in camp.

Honey’s cubs were very interested in some gazelles over the ridge, but they were far away and kept walking away. Then they spotted a few wildies coming over a ridge on the other side followed by about 10 zebras. The wildies kept on dancing like they do and soon disappeared, but the dazzle of zebras kept coming closer. The cubs were intently staring their way. I asked Melvin if they would go for a zebra and he thought not. But they were so interested. Would they? Soon Melvin was on the roof of the car and asked Tom (my husband) jokingly to take the wheel. Are they going for the zebras???? They were certainly intently staring in that direction. Soon, they were stalking them. NO WAY!!!! That’s a big animal and these are cubs still, after all. My goodness! Incredible decision!

It didn’t take long. The grass was fairly tall as it has been raining in the Mara on and off this winter, so they were camouflaged enough, but we could still see them. It was noon when we found them and there were only about 5 vehicles around. The Mara was very empty. We never saw more than a few vehicles all day. We were there for 5 days.

The zebras were unaware and kept coming. The dominant brother gave chase. It happened very fast. There was no time for pictures, but I followed the entire chase and the kill in my binoculars. Tom got some video. They let all the zebras pass; then they choose the third one from the end, a young female, but she was just about fully grown. It happened very fast. They are “killing machines” already, these cubs. AMAZING!!!! From all accounts, this was their first zebra. Melvin never imagined he’s see this and Anup didn’t believe it. A few more vehicles arrived after the kill, but not many. There were less than 10 at all times.

The cubs have established who the leader is; he did the strangling and called for the chase. When he ate, he would growl at his brothers to keep their distance, so they rested in the shade under the vehicles or played sentry. They took turns eating and guarding the carcass. No lions or hyenas appeared. About one o’clock a few vultures arrived, but they sat in the two trees available. Soon the trees were full of vultures, but they waited patiently as they had the time … pole, pole! The cubs ate slowly, panting hard. After the kill it took almost an hour before the cubs really starting eating; not until the vultures started arriving did they get serious about eating. They were exhausted after the chase and it was hot in the sun. By three o’clock, the vultures flew down one by one and landed in back of the kill. The dominant brother chased them back a few times until he was done eating and left. The other brothers were still eating, but the vultures very slowly moved closer. Soon the second brother also left the kill and the vultures got bolder and chased off the last cub. Within 20 minutes the bones were bare. It was now 4 o’clock and there was nothing left of this drama, but the bones. Even the vultures left. The afternoon vehicles started arriving as we were leaving around 4:30 pm. You snooze … you loose!!

I just can’t believe that I saw this. Unbelievable!!!

roadwarriorafrica Sep 11th, 2008 11:23 PM

safarimama - fantatsic. From your writing, I can just imagine it. Where were you staying? I haven't seen Anup for a few years. I am so glad you had a great safari experience.

Mohammed Sep 11th, 2008 11:49 PM

That's an amazing account, thanks for sharing.

HariS Sep 12th, 2008 05:51 AM

You certainly had a great sighting!!! glad they are doing well.

nefsb Sep 12th, 2008 06:20 AM

Thanks for the update! We saw them in August, resting under an acacia tree near Rhino Ridge as well. Congrats on witnessing the exciting kill!

PredatorBiologist Sep 12th, 2008 08:55 AM

Wow! Incredible sighting Safarimama, I hope you are going to post the video. How unlikely to go for a zebra anywhere near adult size.

I believe the 'cubs' are a bit older than you are thinking, reportedly they were about a year old when honey died so they should be about 2 1/2 now and definitely young adults that would be long separated if Honey were still around.

rickmck Sep 12th, 2008 09:03 AM

Wow, what a sighting and what a well told story...

atravelynn Sep 12th, 2008 03:30 PM

It's great you saw it and shared it. A zebra kill by a cheetah and a full grown one at that. How unusual.

LyndaS Sep 12th, 2008 06:37 PM

Welcome back Kristina! What a great sighting, FABULOUS! Can't wait to hear about the rest of the safari too!

Dana_M Sep 12th, 2008 09:06 PM

The cubs are obviously doing very well and hunting quite successfully. What am amazing sight that must have been.

Nyamera Sep 13th, 2008 12:43 PM

Welcome back, safarimama! Thanks for the amazing cub update. They should stick to zebras and leave the topis in peace.

safarimama Sep 14th, 2008 06:10 PM

Thank you for all your kind replies. I've been really busy this weekend with a show.

Tom has posted the cubs taking down the zebra video and I hope you can see it here:

Warning: It's about 20 minutes long.

emowens Sep 14th, 2008 06:16 PM

So glad to hear from Honey's cubs. Saw them with Honey in June of 2006 when they were quite young and so cute. Went back to the Mara this June and hoped to see them but unfortunately we did not. Someday I hope to see them again.

safarimama Sep 14th, 2008 06:28 PM

OK, to see Honey's cubs, click on cheetah kill

safarimama Sep 15th, 2008 05:19 AM

Are you able to see the video? Is it posted in a format that you can use? You need Windows Media Player to see it; the direct link is:

ele13 Sep 15th, 2008 06:17 AM

thank you for this! I too was there and had the privilege of seeing those boys roam and settle. When I get my photos downloaded (I JUST got home!!) I will post some for everyone to see their stature and good health. They truly are magnificant and in such GREAT shape...a testimony to Honey for sure. Her legacy lives on....NOw I will check out your exciting video!

safarimama Sep 15th, 2008 06:35 AM

How exciting! I wish I had known. Which vehicle were you in? There were not many there! I was positioned smack in the middle with 2 minivans on one side and the vehicle on the other side. One brother went under that car after the one he was resting behind left for lunch. Then there were two vehicles beyond the minivans, both with serious camera equipment and "bazoka" lenses. They were 10 feet from the kill!
Maybe I have you in a picture, maybe you have me?? I was wearing two hats for protection from the sun.

stakerk Sep 15th, 2008 08:43 AM

Wow! Thanks for posting. I had been wondering how the cubs were doing. They were the highlight of our trip in August 2006.

Kevin from California

Kavey Sep 17th, 2008 01:38 AM

I can't access the video at all :(

Is it still available?

Thanks Safarimama!

safarimama Sep 17th, 2008 10:07 AM

Sorry Kavey,
We had a internet outage from 8pm last night until right now Sept 17 at 11am in Seattle. The comcast guy just left and it's working again, so go for it.

All times are GMT -8. The time now is 06:44 AM.