Hoedspruit & Livingstone Airport Transfers

Oct 1st, 2005, 03:54 AM
Original Poster

Hoedspruit & Livingstone Airport Transfers

Does anyone know about transfers from either Hoedspruit or Livingstone airports? The lodge we're staying at near Kruger will do it, but it will cost us USD$320 roundtrip (USD$40 per person per trip and there are four of us)! And it's only about 20 miles one way. I've tried in vain to locate rental car companies, but they seem to conveniently close 15 minutes after the plane lands, that's if we land on time. Our flight into HDS is on a Saturday, landing at 13.45. Are there taxis at this airport? There is a rental car agency in the town of Hoedspruit, but I still need a transfer into the twon.

For Livingstone, we get in on a Thursday at 12.35, but there doesn't seem to be any car rental places at the airport or at least I haven't been able to locate them. I emailed our hotel, the Zambezi Sun, and they said they don't provide transfers, but "there are all kinds of taxi services at the airport." I emailed back asking about these services but they have not responded. They have a terrible website..

For peace of mind, I'd like to have the transfers set up ahead of time. Any suggestions??
Oct 1st, 2005, 10:22 AM

1) Livingstone: Yes taxis are common and safe. Can't recall what the fare is, but inexpensive.
2) Hoedspruit: If you need a ride into town, then you should be able to get a better price than $40.
If you have the inclination ( I don't want tp punt any one operator) then contact Indaba Safaris, they operate in the area and generally are not expensive.
Regret that taxis are not common place at HDS.
Oct 1st, 2005, 11:56 AM

The road transfer prices at South African luxury game lodgges are a bit unnerving considering that the transfers are usually no longer than the FREE transfers that are provided in Zambia.

Also, although I loved Simbambili and would not hesitate to return, I was a bit surprised that laundry was not included. Furthermore, there was a mini-fridge in the room with drinks, beverages and snacks available at an extra cost, just like at a nice hotel.

I am reminded of last year in Zambia when I forgot my battery charger at Kaingo in South Luangwa. I had transfered nearly two hours south to Chichele Presidential Lodge, yet the very next day, free of charge, a Kaingo vehicle arrived to deliver my battery charger, without me even asking. Just a whole different atmosphere in Zambia.

Regarding the Livingstone Airport...I do recall researching how much it would cost to book a transfer from Livingstone to Matetsi (about a one hour drive), and it was only about $35 USD for the vehicle, regardless of how many passengers were in the vehicle.

Just out of curiousity, which lodge near Kruger are you staying at?
Oct 2nd, 2005, 04:02 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for taxi talk. I'm comforted knowing there are taxis at Livingstone, but am still worried about Hoedspruit. I'm all for helping those in need, but being so taking advantage of on the transfer really puts me off.

We're staying at Akeru Lodge (www.akeru.co.za) in the Timbavati Game Reserve. It shares the unfenced border of Kruger Park. Hopefully it will be okay, there was no talk about it Fodor's
Oct 2nd, 2005, 05:06 AM

Hello,

I believe you can hire cars at the Hoedspruit airport - I was able to drop my hired car (Avis) at a rental depot there, so there is car hire available. Try the Avis website.

Depending on the amount of time you are at Akeru, it may be more cost effective to pay for the transfers than to pay for a car you won't be using. I've found that to be the case on the few occasions where I drove rather than flew into the Sabi Sands, but the costs may work out differently for a party of four (I was on my own).

Cheers,
Julian
Oct 2nd, 2005, 06:55 AM
Original Poster

Part of the problem is our flight is scheduled to get in only 15 min. before it closes. By the time we get off the plane it will be closed.
Oct 2nd, 2005, 07:02 AM

Send an email to them and ask if they can hold it open for you. When I dropped my car off it was technically out of hours, but they kept the office open for me.

Alternatively, can you switch the time of your flight? Even if you have to pay, it may be less than $320.

Cheers,
Julian
Oct 2nd, 2005, 07:03 AM
Original Poster

Julian, Thanks! That's a great idea. I will try that.
Oct 2nd, 2005, 07:08 AM

The Livingstone transfer should be about $30, I believe.

Cheers,
Julian
Oct 2nd, 2005, 07:24 AM
Original Poster

Julian, Thanks again. You're info. has been very helpful. Just what I've been looking for!

Search this Thread