Hluhluwe / Safari Information Needed

Apr 10th, 2004, 05:11 PM
Original Poster

Hluhluwe / Safari Information Needed

Trying to plan our SA honeymoon - want to include a safari and were considering Hluhluwe-Umfolozi.

We need some questions answered, though, and hoping you kind folks can help:

1. Is Hluhluwe-Umfolozi better than going to Kruger or one of the reserves around Kruger in terms of seeing animals?

2. We're toying with the idea of doing the 2 or 4 day Wilderness walk through KZN - Has anyone done this? What was your experience? Did you see wildlife? Any idea what the difference between the Traditional and Primitive walks are?

3. In terms of staying at Hilltop - what exactly does non-self catering mean? Does it just include meals at the restauant? Is the restaurant so expensive as to justify the twice as much price as the self-catering? How big a deal is it to get your own food in the area?

4. Any other advice would be great! Thanks so much! --C.
Apr 11th, 2004, 01:11 AM

I will try to answer your questions as I have been to all the places you are interested in. You will see more game in Krueger or the Sabi Sands. Have not done the walk but you will probably see even less animals. The walks are more for the pure enjoyment of being in the bush. Self Catering means you bring your own food and cook for hourself. There is a buffet restaurant at Hilltop. Have heard the food is adequate. Most South Africans bring their own food and BBQ. There is a village not far from the park but you need a car. I think there is a shop within the park also.
Apr 11th, 2004, 12:31 PM

It's been a couple of years since I was at Hluhluwe-Umfolozi, but here goes...

You will see more rhinos there than in Kruger, or than anyplace in the world, but probably not as many elephants and lions. You'll see lots of giraffes. There won't be as many large herds of buck as in Kruger.

Non-self-catering means that your accommodations won't have any cooking facilities, although they may have a coffee/tea maker. The price doesn't inlcude meals in the restaurant; that is extra. The nearest town for buying food supplies is Mtubatuba. If you self-cater, get enough supplies there to last your whole stay in the park; you wont want to spend time driving all the way back there to re-provision when you could be looking at animals. It's not a big deal to get stuff there and take it with you. (We are planning to do just that 6 weeks from now -- can't wait!! We're staying at Mpila,though, not Hilltop.)

The restaurant isn't expensive by US standards. The view at the restaurant is spectacular!

When are you planning to go? We'll be in both Kruger and Umfolozi-Hluhluwe this May/June, and I'll report what kind of game viewing we have.

Happy honeymoon!
Celia

Search this Thread