hiring a driver

May 22nd, 2004, 12:26 PM
Original Poster

hiring a driver

We will be in Kenya next week. Our biggest need is to hire a driver to take us from Nairobi to Arusha. We are a family of five. Does anyone know of a safe and reliable company or person to do this? Our hotel there quoted us a price of about $500 one-way for this trip. What is a reasonable fare? We also wanted to have a car pick us up at the airport in nairobi and take us to our hotel. Any suggestions here?
May 22nd, 2004, 01:24 PM
sandi

I'm assuming that your are not working with a tour operator either US, UK or NBO based. If you were, they would have arranged all of this for you.

But if you want an adventure you can take the bus for about $40/person one-way. We did it one way and it was interesting - crowded, no air conditioning, with luggage on top of the bus. But for the return we arranged a private car transfer (it was an air conditioned Mercedes) and that ran about $300, back in '98, and it wouldn't have mattered whether it was just the two of us or if we were four or five. Though prices may have gone up since then, I recently saw a price of $425 in a 7-passenger vehicle.

Why not contact one of the tour operators located in Nairobi. Try the following sites:

www.essafari.co.ke
www.southerncrossafaris.com
www.wildtreksafaris.com

Check their sites and on the "Contact Us" page, send an email and inquire about a price and see if that is in line with what your hotel is quoting.

As to pick-up from the airport, contact your hotel and have them arrange that. I don't know where your hotel is located, but the rates run from $20-$25/person, using a tour operator. You might as well ask about this transfer in the same email to the companies listed above.

May 22nd, 2004, 04:13 PM

mpigott:

I can attest to Southern Cross Safaris. I have used them on five previous trips and they are highly reliable. In fact they are handling my upcoming trip in August. They also have transfer service from airport to hotels to anywhere you wish to travel. They have been in business for almost 50 years and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend them.

Jan

Search this Thread