Hippo, wild dog and waterbuck from Pilanesberg

Old May 15th, 2006, 01:57 AM
Original Poster

Hippo, wild dog and waterbuck from Pilanesberg

Great pics of very unusual interaction between the 3.

http://stones.org.za/jonathan/pilanesberg.htm
Old May 15th, 2006, 03:37 AM
africnow

FANTASTIC photos!!! Thanks.

Old May 15th, 2006, 04:12 AM

Thanks for this posting. Your beautiful pictures documented a most interesting wildlife encounter.
Old May 15th, 2006, 04:40 AM

Wow! What an experience!
Thanks!
Old May 15th, 2006, 06:00 AM

Wow, luangwablondes, Amazing shots - talk about being in the right place at the right time. I was really hoping the poor little one would get away - too much bad luck. I think I actually was holding my breath. What did the hippo do with the carcass? Also, what was the time span on all this?
Thanks for sharing the unfolding drama and well done shots. I give you much credit as I would never have gotten such great photos do to all the excitement all around.
Sherry
Old May 15th, 2006, 07:35 AM

Absolutely amazing! How did you stay composed enough to get such great shots? It's the kind of thing we see in National Geographic. Thank you for sharing.
Old May 15th, 2006, 07:38 AM
Original Poster

Can't take credit for the brilliant shots. Taken by a South African. Also illustrates having the right equipment. He filmed this over about an hour.
Old May 15th, 2006, 08:14 AM

Fascinating drama well documented. The dogs either were not super hungry or were wary of the hippos or they probably would have swam in after the calf. One of my guides at Madikwe saw a pack swim in and drown 2 adult kudu.

Hippo is the one creature that I really do not want to ever crowd.
Old May 15th, 2006, 09:42 AM

That is unbelievable. Sorry to ask a silly question, but do hippos often attack and kill non-predators - or do they just not realize the difference?
Old May 15th, 2006, 10:24 AM

Thanks Luangwablondes. Very interesting pictures.

Cooncat,
Hippos are omnivores – I’ve seen a couple of documentaries where the eat carcasses - and they’ll kill anyone that’s in the wrong place at the wrong time, regardless of dietary habits. I’d like to know what they did with the carcass – or maybe not.
Old May 15th, 2006, 10:37 AM

In January this year I was at Nyamundwa Dam in the Kruger Park and witnessed a pride if lion take an impala. The normal fighting occured but then a hippo emerged from the water and charged the lions and drove them off. The Hippo then proceeded to take the remains of the Impala in its mouth and try and revive it. There is an account recorded by Dick Rucassel of this behaviour and I was honoured to see it actually repeat itself right in front of me.
What a sighting!
Old May 15th, 2006, 02:36 PM

Wow from me too!

Kevin
Old May 15th, 2006, 03:21 PM

luangwablondes,

Thanks for sharing this amazing sequence of events.

It just was not that young waterbuck's day!
Old May 15th, 2006, 05:56 PM
Original Poster

The photos were taken at the hide at Batlhako dam. Pilanesberg makes for a nice quick safari in combo with Sun City. Been there a couple times. It is easy to spot a wide variety of game.

And yes, hippos are extremely dangerous. Kills more people in Africa then any other animal.

On land, when a hippo gets spooked, it heads straight for the water. If you are in its path, too bad.

The suggested method to avoid great bodily damage is to run parallel to the water or jump behind a good size tree. It works-I'm still here. The hippo normally is just heading for the safety of a deep pool.

I have had hippos grazing near my campsites on many occassions. At this point I make sure my fire is a little bigger/brighter and our voices a little louder. As long as they aren't frightened, no foul. Its only when they move to the opposite side of the fire(and me) from the river that I become nervous. Spooked one once and it came crashing straight for me out of the nite. Fortunately I did a few quick hops and side steps as the thing bulleted past. Then changed my 'pampers'(thinkin' of you Mitch).

In the water, when canoeing, your guides try to keep you in the shallows in order to cruise around the hippos in the deeper waters. But this is a whole different matter.
Old May 17th, 2006, 11:37 AM

Amazing pics.
Are hippos omnivores? Everything I've ever read or seen has called them herbivores.
Old May 17th, 2006, 12:02 PM

Max,
Here is what I could find about meat-eating hippos:
http://66.249.93.104/search?q=cache:...n&ct=clnk&cd=1
Old May 17th, 2006, 12:16 PM

Max
Yes, Hippos have been known to eat meat. Just like babboons. I have seen it
Old May 17th, 2006, 12:23 PM

Amazing sequence of pictures! What an awesome experience.
Old May 17th, 2006, 11:46 PM

Yes I've seen baboons and chimpanzees eat meat but not hippos. One doco I saw did claim that they eat fish.

Nyamera, I might go to Queen Elizabeth in Uganda later this year. I'll definitely ask the locals what they know about the hippos there.

I remember another doco where a hippo researcher was asked what she thought of hippos and she said she didn't like them, despite spending a long time watching them.
The interviewer: "Surely they have some good traits?"
Researcher: "No, they're pure evil."

Old May 19th, 2006, 09:00 AM
aby

FANTASTIC "PHOTO-STORY"

Thanx Luangwablodes !

WOW again

aby

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

FODOR'S VIDEO