Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Africa & the Middle East (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/)
-   -   Hiltons and Marriotts in Cairo (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/hiltons-and-marriotts-in-cairo-563967/)

mckie5150 Oct 11th, 2005 08:28 PM

Hiltons and Marriotts in Cairo

I am traveling to Cairo in November and would like to know if anyone can rate the Hiltons and Marriotts. Is the new JW Marriott too far from downtown attractions? Is it closer to the pyramids since it is outside of town?

Is the Conrad Hilton the "best" Hilton?

Any help would be apprectiated.

Sherif Oct 12th, 2005 01:53 AM

Why Hiltons & Marriotts in specific (do you have special deals with them ?)... anyhow there is only one Marriott in Cairo (in Zamalek overlooking the Nile)... in addition to the JW Marriott at the outskirts of Cairo...

there are two Hiltons (Nile Hilton & Ramses Hilton) less than a mile from each other... both overlooking the Nile

and there is the Conrad (no considered a Hilton here).

While the JW Marriott would be the nicest resort, it is too isolated and would require long drives to go anywhere...

My own preference would be the Cairo Marriott .... the Conrad is too business like... the Nile Hilton is the oldest of them and despite renovations would not be as modern as others....even though it is the most entertaining for people watching .... the Ramses Hilton lacks character and I have never really liked it.

mckie5150 Oct 12th, 2005 08:27 PM

Thanks for the advice Sherif. I try to stay in Hiltons or Marriotts because of their points programs.

Travelnick Oct 13th, 2005 03:14 AM

Marriott is the nicest overall look, as main reception area is an old palace. Grounds are very nice and it is certainly a busy hotel - for some this is a negative. Room that I had was pretty mediocre and dated. I like Zamalek location as there are streets you can wander down and take in some atmosphere without worrying somuch about all the traffic.
Nile Hilton is still a favourite for many business travellers, partly as restaurants are regarded as some of the best in Cairo. Location for museum is very good. Swimming pool area is surprisingly serene given location - on other side of wall is highway runnign along river. Conrad as newest may well have most consistent up to date rooms. Next to very good shopping mall (especially for great value kids clothes)and opposite is a good trendy bar/restaurant very popular with well off educated young locals.
Rameses Hilton is a do not go - horrible location next to major highway bridges and bus stop area. Hotel is very dated and really a step down from the other 3 hotels.

mckie5150 Oct 20th, 2005 05:28 AM

Thanks for all of the advice.

moremiles Oct 20th, 2005 06:29 AM

I also recommend the Marriott because of the main bldg being the old palace and the location. We had a large one bdrm suite for a very reasonable price on the club floor and while the rooms are nothing special, it was comfortable. Location is convenient also.