high points of jordan and syria

Sep 25th, 2000, 07:35 AM
t oldham

high points of jordan and syria

I plan to go to Jordan, Syria and Lebanon next spring and wonder what places were special to others---Petra seems obvious and crusader castles have an appeal...anything I shoudn't miss?

Sep 26th, 2000, 06:41 AM
susan

I don't know about Lebanon and Syria, but I wish that I had had time in Jordan to spend a few days in the desert. I saw it on the drive from Aqaba to Petra and it was spectacular.

By the way, one day is plenty for Petra, unless you have a particular interest in Nabatean culture. We were told repeatedly that you need several days to cover it all, but we found that one day was plenty. Although the area is huge, by far the best part (walk through the Siq and view of the Treasury) comes at the very beginning and then the rest is pretty repetitive.

Sep 29th, 2000, 06:00 PM
Martha

My favourite place in Syria was Apamea, as I felt transported in time walking along the street with all the columns. Don't miss Baalbek in Lebanon. I'd also recommend an overnight trip into the desert around Wadi Rum in Jordan. Check out my photos of these places from my summer trip at http://community.webshots.com/user/annabelle302

Sep 29th, 2000, 10:24 PM
Alan

I did those 3 countries last year. In Jordan, Petra is a must, spend a couple of days there. Also, the ruins of Jerash near Amman are nice to visit, go in the morning early before the tour buses. In Syria, the Crusader Castle (Krak des Chevaliers or Qalat Husn) is very interesting. But in Syria, I would totally recommend Palmyra, ancient ruins situated at an oasis in the desert.

Search this Thread