"Middleman" companies

Old Oct 12th, 2005, 10:25 AM
PMK
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"Middleman" companies

Hello. I'm new here. Does anyone on the forum have experience with a company called Destination Africa Tours ("DAT" and based in South Africa) for a Kili hike? I know of a couple of hikers who used them a couple of years ago and were very pleased with their booking services and the actual hike itself up Machame. Any other feedback?

Also, how can I research the local outfits that these "middleman" companies hire? I want to know their reputations w/r/t how they treat porters. I'm checking out several companies, so I'm curious about how to find out that info!

Any advice?

Thank you.

Old Oct 12th, 2005, 10:42 AM

PMK, do you live in South Africa? Is that why you're considering a South African company for your Kili climb?

Great questions, though, esp. w/r/t how the porters are treated. I hope someone can answer you!
Old Oct 12th, 2005, 10:59 AM
bat

Eben's website has information on how to pick an outfitter.

www.go-kilimanjaro.com

He has also referred people to this site. http://www.hec.org/club/partners.htm
Old Oct 12th, 2005, 11:17 AM

PMK,
As to checking out local outfitters, get names and do search on this board. Also, you can do search simply with Kili and maybe get more names that way. Fodors search engine is not always up to date but should get your started.
Dick
Old Oct 12th, 2005, 12:13 PM

PMK

Step 1: Follow Bat's advice!

Step 2. Visit the offical list of licensed kilimanjaro companies. http://www.tourismtanzania.go.tz/Doc...t%20Agents.pdf

If the company does not appear here, it is either a red flag or an agent.

Step 3, assuming it it is an agent, copy the itinerary on the agent's website and do a Google search. In this case I copied day 1 on DAT site into Google and the exact same itinerary showed up on the Zara site! Unless there is a copyright infringement, you can assume that DAT uses Zara although I am not sure!

Step 4. Check the official list again. Zara happens to be a well-known licensed budget outfitter!

Step 5. Research the internet for Zara. I applaud you for being concerned about your porters. As Bat stated, you can contact IMEC to get some independent feedback on Zara or any other company including IMEC supporting companies - http://www.hec.org/club/partners.htm

Step 6. Make your choice, pay your deposit and start training!

You will have an excellent time on the mountain!
Old Oct 12th, 2005, 02:32 PM
PMK
Original Poster

Thank you, all. I've contacted the hiker I know who went through D.A.T. two years ago and it WAS with Zara. So, I will check to see if it's still the same situation now. (Excellent idea to do the Day 1 itinerary Google search. with D.A.T. and said he'd do it again with D.A.T. any day. Thanks for the feedback.