Reload this Page >

Accom near Addo and Shamwari

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 20th, 2002, 07:43 AM
Caitriona

Hi there--<BR>I just logged onto fodors and think your advice and input is excellent - I wish i had discovered you sooner!<BR><BR>I have a quick question for you - Myself and 3 friends are staying in Capetown from 12/28-12/31, Hermanus 12/31 - 01/03, drive to Kariega for 4 days...all accom is sorted...what is not sorted though is the following...<BR><BR>We need a place to stay that is convenient for both Shamwari and Addo as we leave Kariega on the 6th for a day in Shamwari and have the followinng day in Addo - we then have a few days to play with until we arrive in Stellenbosch on the 10th and 11th - I would love for us to stay in Kynsa - I will email Overmeer but is there somewhere that you recommend for the nights of the 6th and 7th of Jan?<BR><BR>Any help would be much appreciated.<BR><BR>Thanks<BR>Caitriona<BR><BR><BR >

Old Dec 22nd, 2002, 07:27 AM
Karen

Here is the URL for a fairly new safari park in that general neighbourhood. They have just purchased (or whatever safari parks do to get wild animals on site)members of the big 5 which they didn't have before.The fellow's name is Grant and they have some very pleasant accommodation available from 'roughing it in the bush' type to upscale. www.amakhala.com Give them a look at. Hope that helps<BR>Karen

Old Dec 22nd, 2002, 03:24 PM
Selwyn Davidowitz

Hi Caitriona,<BR><BR>I always value Karen’s excellent advice highly but this time round cannot comment about Amakhala as I dont know the establishment at all. However with her recommending the venue I strongly suggest you look into the establishment<BR><BR>In my opinion as far as accommodation near to Addo is concerned it all depends on your price bracket but I would recommend Elephant House or River Bend as they are both close to both Addo and Shamwari. (see more later in this mail)<BR><BR>I have to ask you as to why is your heart so set on visiting Shamwari? Furthermore have you considered the possibility of rather visiting other game farms in the area?<BR><BR>Shamwari is sort of OK as a lodge however I feel it is way out of line price wise ESPECIALLY for its day trippers. I have a suspicion that if you have booked this you might have paid for the trip already as I think Shamwari insist on this upfront payment and if that is the case then all advice from here on could be a waste of time however just in case this is not the case let me mention that as a tourguide/tour operator I would not recommend the Shamwari game farm day drive. I have actually heard the rangers on the farm call the day drive a “Ferrari safari”. This in its own should tell you quite a lot however my non recommendation is because in my opinion there is much better available to those who travel in the Eastern Cape area. <BR><BR>My suggestion is that you travel straight on to Elephant House as I have already recommended or if you want to choose even more upmarket accommodation try River Bend Country House. Reside at any of the above suggested venues as they are both wonderful guesthouses. Simply relax at one of these wonderful guesthouses on the 6th (If you can still get accommodation) On the night of the 6th have dinner at your guesthouse. River Bend in particular serves a wonderful meal but make no error there is nothing wrong with Elephant House either. If you stay at Elephant House do try and book the Courtney Room as it is the quietest room in the guesthouse in that it is upstairs and isolated from most other parts of the house. Fair warning: you will be staying &quot;in the sticks&quot; and that means that the Addo rail train comes past every now and can be quite noisy however the Courtney room protects you from this sound. River Bend does not hear the Addo train. <BR><BR>http://www.elephanthouse.co.za <BR><BR>http://www.riverbend.za.com <BR><BR>The next morning start your day early by visiting Addo Elephant Park. http://www.addoelephantpark.com/ The venue is absolutely amazing to say the least. You will not believe what it feels like to be surrounded by herds of elephant as well as many other animals. <BR><BR>After your trip to Addo Park return to your guesthouse for an hour and then drive to Schotia Game farm (20 minutes away) where you should go on the Tooth and Claw journey. It is a wonderful night drive with the speciality being that you will see the lions on Schotia and believe me these guys are in the wild big time. After your very exciting safari you can return to the lapa on the farm where everyone joins in for a great round the fire campsite meal. Thereafter you should return to your guesthouse OR you could arrange to sleep over at Schotia itself. They have two wonderful rondavels next to the lapa and let me tell you that you will not have a more authentic experience on a game farm than when you sleep over at Schotia. It truly is fantastic. <BR><BR>Http://www.schotia.com <BR><BR>I hope that the above helps you in terms of what you are trying to find out. If you need further help just post your request to the Fodor site and if I can answer I certainly will however if I am not able to do this rest assured Karen will certainly help too. <BR><BR>Enjoy our great land when you visit us.<BR><BR>Selwyn Davidowitz <BR><BR><BR><BR>

Old Dec 24th, 2002, 08:45 AM
Caitriona

Thanks a million guys, I will look all recommendations up. Re Shamwari, unfortunately it is too late as all is booked, however it is just a day trip as we are staying in Kariega and just doing Shamwari for the big 5...I booked Overmeer so thanks a mill for that advice - wishing you a very Merry Christmas. Regards - Caitriona.

Old Dec 26th, 2002, 07:07 AM
Grant Fowlds

In response to the queries ragarding accomdation in this reqion; we have a large private reserve of 5000ha. We do A day/night safari for R450 which includes a bush braai in a bush boma. We have a range of accomadation on Amakhala Game Reserve and we seriously reccomend the Shamwari experience. Even though it is expensive; guests rave about the service and usually see 3 of the big 5 every day if not more!!<BR><BR>The proof is the success of it and everybody wants to witness the success?<BR><BR>you can note my comments<BR><BR>regards<BR><BR>Grant Fowlds

Old Jan 16th, 2003, 04:22 AM
Irene

I am also thinking of a trip to Addo and appreciate the adive but I was wondering about Bushmanskloof Wilderness reserve. Does anyone have any information about which is better?<BR>Thanks<BR>Irene

Old Jan 16th, 2003, 09:16 AM
Karen

I replied in your other message. This is a copyBR>Hi Irene,<BR>Bushman's Kloof is quite spectacular and a relatively new (it is itself rather ancient)addition to tourism offerings. Both animals, plants and trees are indigineous but many have only recently been reintroduced. It is more wilderness than the wilderness!<BR>The accommodation is very classy and their prices are all inclusive. To me they offer a pretty good and a bit different look at South Africa. Probably best known for the absolutely fantastic cave art to be seen on the cave walls that was put there by the ancient San people. I, myself have not booked anyone in there but it sure was not for want of trying. But most of my clients are golfers and there is not a major course close enough. If you go, please let me know what you think. That area of South Africa is, to me, a super spot but it seems to often get left out. Is it better than Addo etc.? Depends on what is better to you. It is definitely less travelled and therefore more pristine and it is definitely different. Where ever you end up, have a great time. Karen<BR>

Old Jan 20th, 2003, 02:53 AM
Cc

I stayed at Woodall Guest house near Addo - I thought it was fantastic and highly recommend it.<BR>Addo is a great experience. But Shamwari a big disappointment in my view. Not worth the exoribant fee (in SA terms)

Old Feb 5th, 2003, 03:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I stayed IN Addo in a 'forest cabin' and it was terrific. No amenities or personnel, but complete freedom and privacy, and tea at dawn on the balcony before getting into the park as soon as it opened - and seeing an elephant close enough to touch within 30 seconds - was the greatest!
Old Sep 11th, 2004, 04:41 AM

I would like to spend a day visiting Addo and Schotia. I also have a price limit of about R1,000 per night. would you recommend staying is schotia, staying at a chalet or cabin in Addo, or the Elephant House. It seems like staying inside a park is a more authentic experience

thanks
Old Sep 27th, 2004, 06:02 PM

Hi Milkypaws. We stayed in Addo in a self catering chalet. We were lucky and had the beautiful family chalet. It was a real pleasure. The gates are minutes away. There are walking areas AND best of all game viewing from your deck. I would highly recommend it.
Old Sep 28th, 2004, 01:10 AM

We also stayed in a self catering chalet at Addo. It was huge, very comfortable and had a view out over the park.

On our main day in the park we actually managed to get up early enough to be the 5th car through the gate into the park!