Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Africa & the Middle East
Reload this Page > hermanus /fish hoeck/simonstown as base with children

hermanus /fish hoeck/simonstown as base with children

Feb 1st, 2006, 04:48 PM
Original Poster

hermanus /fish hoeck/simonstown as base with children

We will be visiting with small grandchildren in two weeks - will spend three days in capetown and then are looking at fish hoeck or hermanus for several days for a beach vacation - any ideas appreciated thank you
Feb 9th, 2006, 12:39 PM

Hi Elizabeth172
Fish Hoek is really a suburb of Cape Town while Hermanus is a two hour drive from Cape Town. Both have great beaches which kids will love. If you stay in Fish Hoek you'd want to drive to Cape Point which is absolutely beautiful, and visit Fish Hoek's "neighbours" Simonstown and Kalk Bay which have loads of character. How small are your grandchildren? If you let me know I can come up with some specific suggestions (for example the scratch patch in Fish Hoek - where kids can dig in the ground for semi-precious stones- is great fun for say 4 to 8 year olds and the tidal pool at St James beach near Fish Hoek is perfect for that age too). Hermanus is a very busy town, lots of shops - beautiful cliff walks. But I'd say stay in Cape Town - 3 days is really not enough time to see all it has to offer.
Feb 10th, 2006, 08:38 AM

I took my daughter on our second trip to Cape Town in December. We stayed at the Boulders Beach Lodge which was perfect. She is 5 and as we had seen a lot of Cape Town in July were looking for a relaxing place to stay next to the beach. Cape Town is about 45 mins drive away so you are a bit restricted but Boulders/Simonstown is very safe and quiet
Feb 14th, 2006, 08:58 AM
Original Poster

Thank you both !

Search this Thread