Here's our "back from Egypt" report

Oct 17th, 2000, 01:46 PM
Linda Thompson

Here's our "back from Egypt" report

Hi,

We're back from our two weeks in Egypt, and I really don't know where to begin.

First of all, it's a long, long flight from the States, but the rewards are worth every minute. I've wanted to see Egypt every since I was a small girl.

The Egyptian people are friendly and inquisitive, And they seem to have a fascination with Americans. Perhaps it's because they think we are rich. Or as some of the merchants said during the ever present negotiations, "A few pounds means nothing to you, but it is important to me because I have two sons" I've decided that every male in Egypt has two sons, but I wonder if they ever have daughters!!<g>

Advising the next Egypt visitors, I would recommend that you take some type of liquid tears (the dryness makes your eyes burn), take a good body moisturizer (such as Cetaphil), buy a strap-over-the-shoulder bottled-water carrier (we found ours at a sporting goods store called REI), buy a Brookstone portable fan/spritzer (everyone in my group enjoyed mine), and make sure that your film type is suitable for extreme brightness. Don't slack on the amount of film because you'll probably take hundreds of snapshots.

Also, find out if your Nile cruise includes an Egyptian night. If so, you can bargain for an outfit before you board the ship, and save a lot of pounds in the process.

The Egyptian Museum in Cairo was a disappointment. It was crowded, hot, and noisy. Tour guides were screaming to their clients in multiple languages, and it was difficult to see anything up close. We had an opportunity to return to the museum during the extra day that we purchased after the end of the tour, but we elected to visit the City of the Dead and the Klan-el-Khalili. This bazaar is so much fun--don't miss it!!

Don't travel to Cairo if you have a weak heart. The traffic will probably kill you!! We arrived and began our trip to the Mena House at about 10:30 p.m. Traveling at about 60 mph, we were in traffic that observed no lanes, signals, traffic lights, or headlights. We were side-swiped by a dump truck, and neither party seemed to care. My travel partner told me later that the dump truck left a three-foot long scrape on the cab. I later learned from our Egyptologist that driver's licenses don't require any preliminary testing.

Our trip to Egypt fulfilled a life-long dream of mine. I trust that your trip will be as rewarding as was ours. If you have any questions, send me an e-mail. I'm so far behind in my day-to-day responsibilities that I probably won't have time to check this message board for awhile.

Nov 3rd, 2000, 08:16 PM
ginger

Hi Linda
Glad you had a good time. My question for you is what was the daily low and high temperature for Cairo and Answan for the two weeks you were in Egypt? I assume you were there the first part of October. We are tentalively considering Oct 2001 but have heard it still is fairly hot. I would appreciate your advice on this.

Sincerely
Ginger J

Nov 4th, 2000, 12:59 AM
Karen

Hi Ginger,
We returned yesterday from spending the last 2 weeks in October in Egypt.The weather was quite pleasant during our stay. The high in Cairo was around 80 and Aswan around 85. Our hotel in Cairo was on the Nile as was our cruise boat in Aswan so the evenings on the water were a little cool. I needed a light sweater on deck and on the patio of the hotel. The warmest place we visited was in the valley of the kings and queens where the temperature was close to 90.
I agree with Linda that the Cairo museum can be a little warm when crowded. My advice is to go late in the afternoon when the crowds start to thin.We went twice, once in the am and once around 3pm. I think the museum closes at 4:30pm.
Hope you have a great time, we certainly did.
Karen

Nov 4th, 2000, 04:58 PM
Christie

Karen, thanks for the weater report for end Oct., also considering that time frame for 2001. Would you consider that time of year crowded,extremly crowded or on the verge of being crowded? Thanks to you or anyone else that has an opinion on this.

Search this Thread