Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Africa & the Middle East (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/)
-   -   Here we go... less than ten days to Kenya and Tanzania (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/here-we-go-less-than-ten-days-to-kenya-and-tanzania-725080/)

safaridude Jul 30th, 2007 04:48 PM

Here we go... less than ten days to Kenya and Tanzania

OK. I am flying out Aug 8 for my seventh safari.

The itinerary includes a morning game drive at Swara Plains (a game ranch 45 minutes from Nairobi), 3 nights at Ol Donyo Wuas in the Chyulu Hills, 2 nights at Elsa's Kopje in Meru, 2 nights at Wilderness Trails in Lewa Downs, 3 nights at Sayari Camp in northern Serengeti, and 4 nights at Ugalla East Camp in the Ugalla Game Reserve (a hunting reserve -- I don't hunt but as I did last year I am accompanying birdshooters).

The Kenya Wildlife Service is in the midst of re-stocking Meru with game, so we might be able to catch some of the game release action. I also hear that the late migration this year might mean we might get really lucky in northern Serengeti. We'll just have to see.

I'll be back to post a report for sure.

emdee Jul 30th, 2007 05:04 PM

Hi Safaridude, when are you going to be in Sayari? We are going to be there August 24, 25 and 26. So we will likely just miss you. Before that we are a night in Arusha and three nights at Little Governors. From Sayari we fly to Lake Manyara and spend a night at the Serena Crater and then back to Nairobi.

We fly to Mumbai via Dubai with a two day stop there one of which will be at the Burj. Then a couple of days in Mumbai before back home to Canada.

safaridude Jul 30th, 2007 05:09 PM

we'll miss you since we'll be there on 8/17, 18 and 19. Hopefully, we will convince the wildebeests to stick around for you.

Patty Jul 31st, 2007 12:06 PM

Have a fantastic time!

Marija Jul 31st, 2007 01:05 PM

Have a great trip!

Nyamera Jul 31st, 2007 01:09 PM

Safari njema.

Local2542 Aug 1st, 2007 06:57 AM

Hi Safaridude - you are not including CYK in your itinerary this year? I enjoyed reading about your connection to Luca and his place so much it inspired us to try to visit CYK. Why ODW, if you don't mind me asking?

Thank you and can't wait for your trip report!

safaridude Aug 1st, 2007 05:25 PM

Local, I still love Campi ya Kanzi. I will go back there many times. I am trying something different this time, that's all. I have kept in touch with Luca, and I am a supporter of the various conservation efforts at Campi ya Kanzi. FYI, the folks at Campi ya Kanzi and Ol Donyo Wuas are very friendly to one another and have agreed on many joint conservation projects. Luca flies his own plane, and he plans on coming over to Ol Donyo Wuas for lunch one day, as he sometimes does.

Local2542 Aug 1st, 2007 05:42 PM

Thank you for the reply - we are booking at least two nights at CYK for next January, and looking forward to it.

Have a great trip.

nevermind Aug 1st, 2007 08:44 PM

Safe travels.