Here today, gone tomorrow...

Oct 8th, 2004, 10:26 PM
Original Poster

Here today, gone tomorrow...

Maybe I am just in need of some sleep, but does anybody else share my thoughts on the following subject?

As anybody who has followed this forum for the last year or two knows, I am all too eager to help out newbies with advice. Yet, how many of these very same people ever return with a trip report, photo albums or to help out others?

While my first inclination is ALWAYS to offer my assistance, I am starting to get gunshy and ignore such postings.

I am all for helping others that have bothered to do the smallest amount of research on their own, but I really do not want to be an unpaid travel agent for any longer.

Instead, while other Fodorites are free to help as they see fit, I do think our energies would best be served in helping those that have tried as best they can to help themselves and just need a little nudge in the right direction.
Oct 9th, 2004, 05:05 AM

I think there are different types of people that use these sorts of travel forums. Some people consult them religiously every day, offer up advice and share stories and reports. The "regulars", if you will.

Others just consult them at a specific time when looking for specific information, and when they have found the information they are looking for, they move on. I'm sure it just doesn't occur to lots of people to come back with trip reports or advice *after* their journey.

Also, don't forget there are loads of people who don't post questions but just search previous threads for tips and information. It's likely that every helpful piece of info is read by a lot more people than the original asker.

I think that due to the nature of this medium, any information one chooses to share has to be given in good faith. Unfortunately, you can't always expect thanks or follow-up postings. But there is a good chance that the information you share *is* being read and appreciated by others.

Just my few cents worth.

Search this Thread