Here's my month's plan for East Africa

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 8th, 2005, 08:05 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've written a few brief posts on here, but I've decided to post our whole general itenerary in hopes of getting some feedback from more knowledgabe people. My husband and I are going to Kenya and Tanzania for just around a month in January. This is loosely what our trip is shaping up to. I know this is a very "main stops" itenerary and we would appreciate any suggestions for places to visit. We might take an extra day in Arusha to drive around Mt Kili. We are young and don't mind traveling off the beaten path. Suggest away!

Jan 4 - Leave USA
Jan 5 - Arrive in NBO evening
Jan 6 - Acclimate and explore Nairobi
Jan 7 - Start 7 day camping Kenya safari with Kenia Tours and Safari Ltd; Amboseli national park
Jan 8 - Amboseli national park
Jan 9 - L.Nakuru national park
Jan 10 - Naivasha
Jan 11 - Masai mara game reserve
Jan 12 - Masai mara game reserve
Jan 13 - Nairobi by mid afternoon, explore a little more
Jan 14 - Take bus to Arusha
Jan 15 - Explore Arusha
Jan 16 - Start 7 day Tanzani camping safari with Sunny Safaris; Lake Manyara National Park; overnight at Twiga Public Campsite
Jan 17 - drive to Serengeti National Park; overnight at Seronera Public Campsite
Jan 18 - Serengeti National Park; overnight at Seronera Public Campsite
Jan 19 - Serengeti National Park; overnight at Seronera Public Campsite
Jan 20 - Ngorongoro Conservational Area; Simba Public Campsite
Jan 21 - Tarangire National Park; Lake View Campsite
Jan 22 - Safari ends in Arusha
Jan 23 - Take bus to Dar es Salam
Jan 24 - Explore Dar es Salam
Jan 25 - Take ferry to Zanzibar
Jan 26 - Explore Zanzibar/Stone Town
Jan 27 - Visit some other place on Zanzibar/dive
Jan 28 - dive
Jan 29 - dive
Jan 30 - ?
Jan 31 - ?
Feb 1 - Take bus to Nairobi
Feb 2 - Leave Nairobi 11pm for USA
Old Nov 9th, 2005, 04:57 AM
bat

A month--how great. For Zanzibar take a lool at amfs recent post---she describes several places on Zbar.
Old Nov 9th, 2005, 06:54 AM

Look at flying from Zanzibar to Mombasa. From there you can connect(taxi) to the evening train to Nairobi.Get a sleeper. Arrives in Nairobi in the AM. Whatever the scheduled arrival, add a couple hours to be safe and its inexpensive-saves on one night accomodation. Alot better then a bus ride. Not sure about which days the train runs. I think 3x per week in both directions.
Old Nov 9th, 2005, 10:22 AM

We did a bus ride in Kenya when we were young-be prepared for buses that are built to hold 40 but actually carry 70!
Old Nov 9th, 2005, 10:28 AM

I believe the train operates Tu/Th/Su in the Mombasa to Nairobi direction.
Old Nov 9th, 2005, 09:36 PM
Original Poster

Great advice about the train. I'll look into a flight to Mombasa. The bus ride from Dar seemed like a hellishly long one.

On another board I got a few comments that 2 weeks of safari might be a bit too much. However, my husband and I love watching animals and couldn't imagine getting too bored. Any thoughts on this?

And if we were to cut down one of the safaris, any suggestions on which parks/places we should change?

Thanks for the great advice!
Old Nov 9th, 2005, 10:26 PM

It seems like a decent plan to me. Personally, I will always say it is not enough game viewing.
If you could change anything, maybe cut Naivasha and add to the Mara. If you arrive in Arusha early enough from Tarangira, move down to Moshi. At the bus park make your reservations for Dar the next AM, and check out Moshi.You will be that much closer to Dar.
There is not much to see in Dar, Although I have managed to keep myself amused for several days at a time in the past. If your bus arrives soon enough, I would sugggest an attempt at the last ferries/hydrofoil to Stonetown. Its worth it. Get your touring done and tool out to where you want to dive and chill.
Old Nov 9th, 2005, 10:57 PM

Scandinavian Bus leaves Moshi at 8:30.
Arrives Dar at 15:30. Its the same bus that you would have been on out of Arusha.

The last ferry I think leaves at 16:00 or 16:15. The only way to make that is to carry on your luggage and don't store it underneath. Hire a taxi driver who knows where to purchase the ticket and haul. Its a busy time of day in that section of Dar, so it all comes down to the bus arrival and your taxi driver. So have an alternative plan.