Henna Tatoos and Vegetarian Cafe

Old Feb 14th, 2021, 10:24 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Henna Tatoos and Vegetarian Cafe

You will find many women offering henna tattoos on Djemaa el Fna square in Marrakech and I have to say it's best to avoid them. They use black henna with chemicals that burn some people's skin, but they are also extremely aggressive, demanding incredibly high amounts for a couple of minutes work and generally intimidating visitors.

If you would like a traditional light-brown non-permanent henna tattoo, I can recommend the Henna Cafe. This is a vegetarian cafe with henna parlour that is run as a not-for-profit venture with all proceeds dedicated to educational courses run in the ground floor rooms of the cafe. Here's a video of the classroom (with some delightful kids) that I shot when visiting with a group from the British Moroccan Society last February,

During the pandemic the cafe has repurposed itself into being the hub for free meal distribution to needy people in the medina and has just completed its 20,000th free meal, see https://www.facebook.com/groups/1323...4715185800103/

So when the dust has settled and I am able to visit Morocco once more, I shall remember the Henna Cafe as a great place to eat and also help the local community.