Visas for Tanzania - Success by Mail

Old Mar 15th, 2006, 08:40 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Visas for Tanzania - Success by Mail

Just thought I would post this to possibly alleviate some fears about sending passports in the mail to get VISAS. We took our own pictures using our daughter's moderately priced digital camera. Printed them at home on photo paper and roughly sized them to passport size. These were by no means professional photos! Sent the applications, the passports, the photos, a copy of our itinerary, our flight info to and from Nairobi, a cashier's check and a self addressed fed ex envelope to the Tanzanian Embassy with a nice cover letter explaining when we were going, what was included and asking nicely to take good care of our passports. A week later and the passports have been returned complete with Visa stamps inside the passports. Now, everything will go on to the embassy in Kenya!
Old Mar 15th, 2006, 11:32 AM

Getting your visas before arriving to Tanzania is a very good idea. There were about 250 very agitated travelers arriving at 2AM in Kiliminjaro on my flight and about 200 of us seemed to be fighting it out to get our visas upon arrival...it was not a pleasant experience.

Our flight, due to weather, was sent all the way to Dar Es Salaam, where we were held in a flight gate for a couple hours, and then we returned to Kiliminjaro, arriving five hours later than scheduled. Then to have 200 of us fighting for visas, including some obnoxious tour leaders who felt they had the right to jump in line in front of everyone, just made it a bad way to arrive in Tanzania.
Old Mar 15th, 2006, 01:25 PM

I just had a similar, excellent experience with the NY office of the Embassy. They actually had my passport less than 48 hours.

But, it did raise the question of why they need a photo. Where doest that photo go - and what do thet do with it?
Old Mar 15th, 2006, 01:28 PM

Thanks Amy, for this - I am just getting ready to get the photos, etc. off to the TZ embassy in Canada. I thought we had to wait until at least 90 days prior, but as I recall you are going in July/Aug, I guess I mis-read that about the 90 days! I guess I should get off my duff and get going on that!
Based on what Rocco said about waiting in line in Tanzania, I just might change my mind about the Kenyan visas - I was going to just get them there, as we will have plenty of time. If a line like that can happen in TZ, I'm sure it can happen in Kenya too, and just our luck, it would.
Thanks both of you guys!
Lynda
Old Mar 15th, 2006, 01:41 PM
Original Poster

Lynda-
The visas are good for up to six months total but you can only travel in country with them for 90 days. So, the visas we just got back are good through September 06. The pictures are on the visas that are placed in the passport, so they do use the picture. The application for the Kenya visa, requires two copies of the pictures, Tanzania only required one.
Old Mar 15th, 2006, 01:50 PM

AmyH - Can you clarify. My Tanzania visa is just a large stamp (signed, dated, etc) on a page of my passport.

Where did the picture go?
Old Mar 15th, 2006, 01:51 PM

I've been waffling about this very issue, so am pleased to know how smoothly the process went for you, AmyH.

It does seem that getting Visas in advance is the better option, particularly in light of your experience, Rocco!

LyndaS...I too will be applying to the TZ embassy in Canada. When and where are you going? We leave June 25 for the Northern Tanzania circuit and return July 12.
Old Mar 15th, 2006, 02:07 PM
Original Poster

boomerm3 -
The visas that we received are printed and pasted into our passports, look electronic and have black and white scans of our photographs. No stamp, no signature.
Old Mar 15th, 2006, 04:44 PM

Calo-
We are going to Kenya & Tanzania, the 'regular' circuit, leaving May 25th and returning June 16th (4 days in Zanzibar too). We are on a group safari - Micato's Stanley Wing to be precise! I am SO excited, I have those knots in my stomach everyone speaks of! My itinerary is listed on
the 'when & where' are you going thread:
http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34748017
Now with both embassies to do, I had better get cracking!
Old Mar 15th, 2006, 04:48 PM

Confused... So, different people get differently appearing visas?
Old Mar 19th, 2006, 10:48 AM

Yea mine was just a stamp too
Weird
Deepppowder