Help with Uganda/Rwanda and Tanzania Itineraries

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 1st, 2008, 10:36 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will be travelling to Africa July 2009 and have narrowed it down to two itineraries. The Tanzania is the same for both itineraries - only the Uganda/Rwanda part changes.

I would love some input. We are not sure of the flow and the different gorilla/chimp options.

Any comments on lodging, parks, travel times, length of stays, etc are appreciated.

Option 1:

Day 1: Arrive into Entebbe Windsor Lake Victoria Hotel
Day 2: Spend day in Entebbe Windsor Lake Vicvtoria Hotel
Day 3: Travel to Ngamba Island Ngamba Tented Camp
Day 4: Drive to Ft. Portal Ndali Lodge

Day 5: Kibale Ndali Lodge

Day 6: Drive to Bwindi Gorilla Resort

Day 7: Bwindi - gorilla trek Gorilla Resort

Day 8: Drive to Rwanda Volcanoes Park/Gorilla's Nest

Day 9: Gorilla Trek/Gorilla Nest

Day 10: Genocide Memorial - depart to Kigali for Arusha flight

Option 2:

Day 1: Arrive into Entebbe, Windsor Lake Vicvtoria Hotel
Day 2: Travel to Ngamba Island Ngamba Tented Camp
Day 3: Ft. Portal Ndali Lodge

Day 4: Kibale Ndali Lodge

Day 5: Drive to QEP Jacana Camp or Mweya

Day 6: QEP Jacana Camp or Mweya

Day 7: Drive to Bwindi Gorilla Resort (or Gorilla Forest Camp)

Day 8: Bwindi Gorilla Resort

Day 9: Bwindi Gorilla Resort

Day 10: Drive to Kampala Hotel Bougainviller

Day 11: Drive to Entebbe fly out to Arusha

Tanzania section:

Day 12: Drive to Tarangire Swala Camp
Day 13: Tarangire Swala Camp
Day 14: Drive to Ngor Crater Lemala Camp
Day 15: Ngor Crater Lemala Camp
Day 16: Drive to Lake Eyasi Kisima Ngeda
Day 18: Drive to Central Serengeti Olakira Camp
Day 19: Central Serengeti Olakira Camp (balloon ride)
Day 20: Drive to Northern serengeti Migration camp
Day 21: Northern Ser. Migration camp
Day 22: Fly back or drive to Arusha.

Old Jul 1st, 2008, 01:04 PM

On the Tanzania segment, suggest you visit Lake Eyasi before Ngorongoro, and allow yourself more than 1/day.

Drive (w/o stops for game viewing) from Swala camp to park entry is 2/hrs, then about 1.5/hrs to turnoff to Lk.Eyasi, then about 2/hr drive on dusty bumpy road. The Hadzabe might hunt in the afternoon, but often they do this in the morning.

So figure at minimum 1.5/days. After morning with the tribes, you then have that 2/hr drive back to the turnoff for continuing 2.5/hr drive to Ngorongoro, arriving sometime mid-afternoon. You can schedule crater visit for following morning.

Old Jul 2nd, 2008, 05:48 AM
Original Poster

sandi, thanks, we will look into making that adjustment.
Old Jul 2nd, 2008, 07:09 PM

On option one: why the extra day in Entebbe and what is planned for you? I'd skip the extra day in Entebbe for sure!

I've been to Ngamba Island several times and now find it to be quite zoo-like (I'm sure other posters here will disagree). The last time I was there, I saw very little natural chimp behavior. I'd personally skip Ngamba Island.

On the day that you are driving to Ndali, do they have anything else planned for you?

On option two, I'd pick Mweya over Jacana (I very much like the location of Mweya; right on the Kazinga Channel). Keep in mind that the drive from Bwindi back to Kampala is an extremely long one - about ten hours (I've done it once and would really like to never do it again). I'd suggest stopping in Lake Mburo overnight on the way back (it's a halfway point).

If going to Tanzania after Uganda/Rwanda, I'd skip the extra day at Queen Elizabeth National Park in Uganda and spend it in Tanzania. Just make sure that you are booked on the Kazinga Channel launch trip in Queen Elizabeth.

Old Jul 8th, 2008, 10:34 AM
Original Poster

JustinaL, thanks for the information. We will work on your suggestions - interesting comment about Ngamba Island - I was kind of afraid of that. The day in Entebbe was only to have a free day after the long flight from LA. Re. the drive to Ndali, not sure what else is planned for that day. And lastly, can you elaborate on your comment re. the launch booking?
Old Jul 8th, 2008, 01:35 PM

When we were in Fort Portal in February, we stayed at a B&B owned by Professor Rugumayo and his wife.

You have no idea who this couple is until you view the photos hanging on the walls of their hall. Rugumayo with Mandela, with Tutu, with Presidents of Kenya, Zambia etc.

They have a lovely house, but their life histories will thrill you. he was a minister in Amin's government and in the present government. He was Uganda's ambassador to South Africa.

Nigel
Old Jul 8th, 2008, 07:19 PM
Original Poster

Learnix, I tried to Google this B&B but could not find it. Do you recall the name?
Old Jul 9th, 2008, 06:54 AM

You're welcome. Regarding the launch on the Kazinga Channel... not to be missed at Queen Elizabeth. Be sure to ask that you are booked on the launch trip on the Kazinga Channel (the channel connects Lakes Edward and George. You'll have great viewing opportunities for hippo, elephant, buffalo and many birds from the water. The launch departs just down from Mweya Lodge, which is located on the Kazinga Channel and has lovely views.

Old Jul 9th, 2008, 06:55 AM

I should have also clarified that the launch trip is a boat trip.

Old Jul 9th, 2008, 08:34 AM

It is the Eriiba Guesthouse on the Njara Road, just past the Mountains of the Moon.

They don't have a website and the best contact is when you get to Uganda, call them on 0712 446304.

They also have email but responses can take awhile!

[email protected]

Rooms are very very reasonable but the highlight is this couple and their wonderful stories.

He is also chairman of the Fort Portal Botanical Gardens which are right in front of their lovely home.

Nigel
Old Jul 9th, 2008, 08:36 AM

I would also caution you against over-itineraryising. We wert from Kili to Cape Town over three months this year and the only things we booked before we left were the climb and the safari. The rest was off the cuff and an adventure every single day!!

Nigel