Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Africa & the Middle East (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/)
-   -   Help with South African itinerary Aug/Sept (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/help-with-south-african-itinerary-aug-sept-532295/)

postgsl May 28th, 2005 12:46 AM

Help with South African itinerary Aug/Sept

Hi we are planning a South African driving holiday in mid Aug/early September and would appreciate any comments on our itinerary and proposed accomodation.

We are from Australia in our late thirties/early forties and enjoy wildlife spotting, scenery - particularly waterfalls, bushwalking - usually 3 to 4 hour walks.

Night 1 Sydney to Johannesburg Southern Sun Hotel Airport
Night 2 Hazyview - Tanamera
Night 3 Hoedspruit Tshukudu Game Lodge
Night 4 & 5 Timbavati Reserve Gomo Gomo Game lodge
Night 6 & 7 Kruger NP (Sabi Sabi)Lion Sands Private Game Reserve, River Lodge
Night 8 & 9 Swaziland Phophonyane Lodge
Night 10 & 11 Dundee - Rorke's rift Isibindi Zulu Lodge
Night 12 & 13 Royal Natal NP Thendele Camp
Night 14 Ladybrand Oak Tree Lodge
Night 15 Craddock Die Tuishuise
Night 16 & 17 Addo NP Addo Elephant National Park
Night 18 & 19 Knysna Paradise Room - Kanonkop
Night 20 & 21 Dekelders Cliff Lodge
Night 22,23,24& 25 Cape Town Lezard Bleu Guest House - Tree House room
Night 26 & 27 Niewoudtville Papkuilsfontein Farmhouse
Night 28 Cape Town Cape Heritage Hotel

Thanks for your help

JOL May 28th, 2005 10:46 AM

Looks like a good balanced itinerary and you should have a great time. I assume once you are in Cape Town you will do Stellenbosch, the winelands etc. I see you are only in Joburg for one night. Pretoria and Sun City are also good to visit but you say you are outdoor type people so perhaps you dont think it merits a visit.

colind May 28th, 2005 10:35 PM

It seems a shame you are by passing Port Elizabeth it is a pleasant place to spend a couple of days with great beaches.

Five Star Shamwari Game Reserve has a great off season special book 2 nights at the reduced price of 2,560 Rand per person and get three nights free bed and breakfast accommodation at the Plettenburg Bay, the Belivedere in Knysna or the Steenberg in Cape Town all of which are great hotels.

Also make sure to at least visit the Tsitsikamma National Park, the tree top canopy tour at Storms River is also a good option.

laguna92688 May 30th, 2005 08:31 PM

\I'll be at both Gomo Gomo and Tshukudu in about 5 weeks so I'll let you know how they are. I'm at the Sheraton in Cape Town so cant help with that one.
Re the comment about more time in JHB/PTA-Pretoria is very boring in my opinion. You can spend a few hours seeing the various sites but thats about it. Kind of like Sacramento here in California. I actually prefer the northern Jo'burg suburbs but again not more than a day is really worthwhile for shopping and some very good restaurants.

Celia May 31st, 2005 06:00 AM

I'm looking at Gomo Gomo for next year's trip, so I'll be happy to see reports from there too.