Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Africa & the Middle East (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/)
-   -   Help with Singita, Royal Malawane, others (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/help-with-singita-royal-malawane-others-212921/)

B May 3rd, 2002 09:18 AM

Help with Singita, Royal Malawane, others

I've been reading the recommendations for game lodges and am trying to get a better sense of where to go. Trying to compare cost, convenience, and animal sightings. Most important are sightings and convenience of travel. Accomodations don't have to be 5 star but 3-4 would be nice. Singita looks amazing with convenient access (by air) and excellent service. Royal Malawane seems just as nice, yet harder to get to (45 minutes drive from airport), but less expensive. All the others (Mala Mala, Londolozi,Djuma, Chitwa, Sabi Sabi) obviously cost less, may not be as nice in accomodations/food, but might be ok if the sightings are better). By the way, I am particularly interested in seeing cheetahs (and of course the Big Five). Is it possible to see Bushbabies in the wild?

Rocco May 3rd, 2002 11:27 AM

If you want sightings, then you cannot go wrong with Singita! Just consider it an added bonus that you will also have the most luxurious accomodations imaginable and a wonderful staff that will cater to your every need.<BR>I was there in March and I loved it. Royal Malewane is a couple hundred a night less, last time I checked and I did meet another couple who slightly preferred the RM, although they said that the room wasn't as big and luxurious as Singita.<BR>All I can say is that I never imagined having such great game viewing that I did. Despite only having two nights at Singita, each game drive had numerous sightings. The rangers will follow the animals offroad, unlike at some game reserves where they stick only to the road. I do wish that I would have stayed a 3rd night but it is very expensive. You may save some money if you buy from a South African travel agency and are able to pay in Rand. <BR>Singita is opening a brand new camp in about six months, called LeBombo that is supposed to even outdo their current camps, although it will be nowhere near to the current two camps. Good luck.

Lisa May 4th, 2002 04:00 AM

Don't worry about sightings. wherever you go (of those camps you mentioned )you will see game. Of course, as it is not a zoo but the wild, you do have to be lucky. One time, we were at a camp for 4 days and did not see leopard. (ALthough the leopard saw us when he crossed behind the landrover as the tracker and driver were out tracking him! The vehicles in the private game reserves like Sabi Sand in South Africa are allowed to go off toad to follow the big 5. Those in Chobe in Botswana are not allowed to.<BR><BR>YOu do not need to stay at very expensive resorts to see game.<BR><BR>I would not worry about the longer drive. If you are flying into Skukuza and being picked up from the airport, the drive is through the Kruger park and you will also get to see some game along the way.Your vacation has already started.<BR><BR>The accommodation at Sabi Sabi and Londolozi was also wonderful. Sabi Sabi's Earth camp is apparently amazing.<BR><BR>My point is , don't feel you have to pay a king's ransom to have an amazing time.

Rocco May 4th, 2002 04:31 PM

I believe that Londolozi and Sabi Sabi Earth Lodge are both very close in price to Singita...perhaps $50 to $100 less per night but still above $750 (USD) per night.

jackie May 28th, 2002 02:27 PM

Nothing can compare to Singita - out of this world is all I can say. I never heard one person say it disappointed. The staff is incredible - Lee and Andrew are the rangers to ask for. I cant wait to try their new lodge. <BR><BR>One thing to think about with all these lodges that we didnt realize is whether its on a private reserve (singita) or on a public park (chobe chilwero in botswana) which made all the difference for us. In a public park, you are sharing with all the other camps there and it can get congested. The parks also close at 6:30 so you dont really get the thrill of night drives. Lastly, you can't go off roading on the rovers which was the greatest thrill for us when following an animal. Public parks, while lots of animals, are just not as liberal and you dont get the sense of adventure as in a private reserve.

pam Jun 4th, 2002 12:00 PM

I must also sing the praises of Singita! Please see some of my other posts about this awesome property. I was there a little before Rocco, and it was my favorite memory of my travels to South Africa and Zimbabwe. Just do a search on Singita.<BR><BR>Pam

Roger Clulow Jun 7th, 2002 02:34 AM

Dear Sir/Madam<BR><BR>Our company, go2africa.com, hosts an 8000 page website focusing on Southern and East Africa as travel destinations. We have 08 online travel consultants who can answer all your questions, give you qualified recommendations, and book whatever you require - including international flights. <BR><BR>Please let me know if we can send you an itinerary and quotaton - our prices are extremely competitive.<BR><BR>Kind Regards<BR><BR>ROGER CLULOW<BR>Operations Manager<BR>go2africa.com

x Jun 7th, 2002 06:26 PM

Roger,<BR>Please don't use this web site to advertise. Those that need to usually don't have a good reputation any way!<BR>Please avoid

beth Jul 18th, 2002 05:40 PM

singita was amazing accomodations and very good game drives. ulusaba was very nice accomodations and amazing game drives. i feel that it all depends on your ranger and tracker. i had the best ranger at ulusaba (craig) and an ok one at singita. i saw sooooo many animals every day (yes, even saw a bushbaby- but only once) both ulusaba and singita you can fly right into from skukuza.