Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Africa & the Middle East (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/)
-   -   Help with Safari itinerary (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/help-with-safari-itinerary-902052/)

mrringo123 Aug 9th, 2011 05:20 AM

Help with Safari itinerary

I'm going on a two week trip to Africa with my wife and in-laws in November. We're planning on spending a week or so on a safari in Kenya, and then another week exploring S. Africa. My in-laws prefer the luxury experience, and it's my job to make sure it's still rugged and genuine enough to remember that we're in Africa, not a country club. We've gotten three itineraries so far, each of which include two 3 night stays at safari camps. I could use feedback on which one sounds like the better, more exciting option. Thanks!

Micato:

Loisaba Wilderness, Laikipia Plateau
Bateleur Tented Camp, Maasai Mara

A&K

Lewa Safari Camp
Little Governor's Camp, Maasai Mara

Sirikoi Game Lodge
Governor's II Moran Camp, Maasai Mara

Cheers!

sandi Aug 9th, 2011 06:52 AM

All I can say is that if you go with Micato and/or A&K their prices will be higher than is necessary. Their mark-up is ridiculous.

All properties shown are luxe and expensive, but you can do better price wise working with a smaller dedicated safari operator who will provide more competitive pricing.

Micato's Loisaba and Bateleur are a good combo; knowing that Bateleur is very very expensive... ugh!

The A&K combinations are a bit strange. Sirikoi is also very very expensive (as Bateleur), and I don't see where any of the Governor's Camps work with this, though Lewa Safari Camp is an excellent choice. Maybe even Lewa House or Borana.

As in November you don't have to concern yourself with the "migration" (herds are usually back in Tanzania), but still more game than you can imagine, let me suggest you contact Cheli & Peacock www.chelipeacock.com and combine
1) Loisaba Wilderness and Cottars or Saruni Mara
2) Saruni Samburu and Cottars
3) Elsa's Kopje and Saruni Mara
4) Lewa Safari Camp and Saruni Mara or Cottar's

If staying 6+/nts (3+3, 2+4) at any combo of these, you'll be entitled to a 15% discount on the daily room/tent rate (averages 1/free day).

If discount not of interest, other great options in the Mara would be: Mara Plains or Ol Seki Camps. And, in November rates for all should be at mid-season.

Good luck!

qwovadis Aug 10th, 2011 12:51 AM

www.porini.com eco camps best for me

for budget upscale

travelzoo.com great package with

air 5 star hotel lodges game drives

at great prices with friendlyplanet.com

Unless money is no object might have a look there also.

pixelpower Aug 10th, 2011 01:27 AM

I agree with Sandi; A&K & Micato... ridiculous prices sometimes.

My personal tips would be;
- choose either destination. Kenia OR South Africa. One week is too short to see either of them. You'll spend more days "on the road" than in the midst of nature.
- I don't know Kenia that good, but if you choose South Africa, then you might want to ask prices at Sun Safaris. It's a local TA, very known, very reliable, and with very good prices.

B.regs,

J.

Grace_Ndungu Aug 10th, 2011 04:33 AM

try www.mongasafaris.com

sandi Aug 10th, 2011 06:31 AM

pixelpower -

FYI - Kenia is the spelling/pronounciation from Colonial times and not used since Kenya gained it's independence.

mrringo123 -

While 6/days is a short safari, if visiting only two (2) areas, i.e., Laikipia/Mara, Lewa/Mara, Samburu/Mara, these will be done by morning flights (after breakfast) to next destination. Arriving with time to spare before lunch, even having a game drive from airstrip to lodge/camp. And, on departing the Masai Mara, it's a morning flight (11am), in Nairobi by 12:15pm latest, where you can have a dayroom till later departure to SA, or direct to JKIA for flight to SA... schedules dependent.

These clients will not be loosing time with "road transfers" ... rather short flights, the longest a bit over 1/hr.

atravelynn Aug 10th, 2011 04:26 PM

As others have mentioned, you owe it to yourself comparison shop.

A Lewa and Little Gov combo would be my choice. LG is a luxury tented camp but not the fanciest of properties in the Mara. Great location. I would say this is the "most exciting," combo, one of your requirements because
-you can do a really nice camel back safari in Lewa
-you can do walking safaris in Lewa
-you can ride horses (I think) in Lewa, though I have not
-you can include wonderful cultural activities in Lewa
-to get to Little Govs, you take a short boat ride across a stream, which is cool
-there is a good deal of wildlife activity around LG (as there is at many camps)
-if you want a balloon ride, they take off from LG. Very convenient.

A US agent I have used and all went great was The Africa Adventure Company in Ft. Lauderdale.

Do get some other quotes besides A&K and Micato.

pixelpower Aug 12th, 2011 03:11 AM

Sandi,

>>FYI - Kenia is the spelling/pronounciation from Colonial times and not used since Kenya gained it's independence.

No, it's simply me not switching fully to English mode. It came out in Dutch, my native tongue. In Dutch it is still written with an "i" ;-)

B.regs,

J.

sandi Aug 12th, 2011 06:52 AM

pixelpower - Good to know; I stand corrected!