Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Africa & the Middle East (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/)
-   -   Help with posting a trip report (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/help-with-posting-a-trip-report-367215/)

spiegelcjs May 25th, 2008 02:28 PM

Help with posting a trip report

We are just back from Israel and would like to do a trip report. These are my questions.
1. Can I do it in word and then cut and past it in?

2. If I do that should I break it up into segments under different headings or leave it as one long report.

3. If I have do write on the message board but cannot write all at one time how do I continue without having a lot of other posts in between?

atravelynn May 25th, 2008 02:43 PM

1. That is what I do.

2. I would put it all in one thread, but with different titles for different parts, unless you did really different things that would not really be of interest to the same people. Then you might want to split it into two sections.

3. You cannot stop posts from going between your entries and that is why keeping it in one thread is best.

I was going to add that you should just do it the same way you did your Botswana trip report. Then I went to search for your Botswana trip. I saw one reference to your return, and another pledge to post photos, but I didn't see the whole report.

Did I miss something or do you have makeup work to do?

matnikstym May 25th, 2008 07:32 PM

1. Yes
2. Please leave it as one long report
3. I kind of like the posts in between...gives me the momentum to continue the report, but to each his own. If you're fast and do it late at night you can probably fit in the whole report before someone posts in between.

sandi May 26th, 2008 04:50 AM

I do my reports in Word, and as each section is complete, post each under a single thread title.

Bill_H May 26th, 2008 07:43 AM

<b>1. Can I do it in word and then cut and past it in?</b>

If you use Word and then copy/paste into Fodors *please* click on 'Preview My Reply' and make sure the paragraph markers are picked up. Many long posts done in Word seem to have these dropped by Fodors so you end up with one extremely long block of text with no paragraph spacing. I usually just quit reading these afer a few lines ... you can just add the paragraph spacing in the Fodors editor.

Bill

Jed May 26th, 2008 08:02 AM

Posting on one thread in parts is how I like to do it. And I leave a day or so in between parts, so they can be digested and commented on. I think it makes for a more lively report. ((*))

spiegelcjs May 26th, 2008 09:23 AM

I knew I could count on all of you. Now all I have to do now is do it.

Thanks again

Dana_M May 26th, 2008 03:34 PM

In addition to paragraph markers geeting lost, some other items show up as strange characters (i.e. apostrophes, quotation marks, and exclamation marks). It may have something to do with the version of Word you are using or how the file is saved. I have to save my Word document in Rich Text Format for it to copy to the site properly.

spiegelcjs May 26th, 2008 05:37 PM

Dana M

What is Rich Text Format?
If I keep asking questions I can keep putting off starting to write,!!!!

steamboatsista May 27th, 2008 07:31 AM

When I have tried to include a link to a website and then go to preview the post/reply, the link is there twice! What am I doing wrong?

atravelynn May 27th, 2008 07:43 AM

I have not had to use rich text. I just copy and paste from Word in small batches. As was mentioned, 20 pages may not copy and paste.

I put in lots of enters so that that paragraphs are shorter than normal. Easier on the eyeballs.

When it comes time to save, below where you type the name of your file, it says &quot;Save as type;&quot; When you click on the down triangle to the right, you have numerous options from Word document (the default) to Rich Text Format to Web Page, etc.

But what about that Botswana report <b>Spiegelcjs,</b>? You can use Rich Text, Poor Text, Word, or Pig Latin. Give us a couple of details.

<b>Steamboat</b> As for the double size link, once you post it then it goes back to normal size even though it is double in the preview.

Here's another solution. Use tinyurl.

Go to www.tinyurl.com and follow the simple instructions to change a long address to a short one. Then post the short one.

Bill_H May 27th, 2008 07:43 AM

<b>When I have tried to include a link to a website and then go to preview the post/reply, the link is there twice! What am I doing wrong?</b>

Nothing! It shows the link once as you typed it in, then a second time with the HTML code that will allow a user to click on the link and jump to the site. It looks confusing but that's the way it's supposed to work. Then when people view it on Fodors they only see one link.

Bill

isabel25 May 27th, 2008 09:47 AM

Okay, since we're on this topic: How do you convert text into bold type on this site? Or even better, is there a formatting FAQ somewhere on this website? Couldn't find one when I looked.

Patty May 27th, 2008 10:06 AM

isabel,
http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=35106985

isabel25 May 27th, 2008 10:11 AM

Thanks, Patty!

atravelynn May 27th, 2008 11:29 AM

Isabel25,

We'll be expecting a rainbow of colors, underlines, bolds, etc. in your upcoming posts.

Dana_M May 27th, 2008 08:24 PM

Sorry I didn't see your question until now spiegelcjs, but Lynn answered for me. Now you have all the information you need, so you better start writing :) And, personally I think you should start with Botswana first!