South Africa private reserves

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 16th, 2005, 06:53 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Never been to South Africa, but am considering.

Can you help describe the experience of some of these private reserves in terms of other parts of Africa (because I've been to most other "safari countries.&quot

Is the amount of game similar to Botswana? How about the vehicle traffic around sightings?

Also any recommendations that focus on game, rather than luxury of accomodations would be good. Or by asking for private reserves in South Africa, but downplaying the luxury, is that any oxymoron?

Appreciate any comments you may have.

Old Feb 17th, 2005, 03:25 AM

Have only been to Africa once, but we stayed at the Akeru lodge on the private Timbavati reserve. www.akeru.co.za

They are not one of the luxurious lodges, but really focus on the game drives. They have 3 drivers, and the 2 we met and used while we were there had a real passion for their job. The lodge itself was rather simplistic, yet romantic. Because they are not about luxury they focus more on the animals. Plus, they are very reasonably priced.
Old Feb 17th, 2005, 04:18 AM
sandi

Another alternative for safari on private reserves is on the Manyeletti Reserve - Honeyguide Camp. Recently refurbished, it is quite reasonable pricewise, the luxury extends to outstanding linens in rather basic tents, and a true safari experience. The animal sightings were outstanding with excellent rangers and trackers.

Old Feb 17th, 2005, 09:18 AM

atravelynn -

This is only based on my experiences staying at Sandibe in Botswana and at Chitwa in Sabi Sands in August last year...

In Botswana we saw lions (5? male & female) tracking buffalo & feeding on a kill, large buffalo herds, a few elephants, a few giraffes, bats, and others. And, a total of two other cars. Landscape was more open plains & water.

In Sabi Sands we saw leopards (one male, two cubs - multiple times), rhino, female lions, herd of elephants, herd of buffalo, wild dogs, a puff adder, a couple of giraffe, and others. And, several other cars - there were never a lot of cars, but at good sightings there were typically a few cars either there or waiting. Landscape more bush.

We saw more animal interactions in Sabi Sands than Botswana - probably just luck of the draw.

Is this the kind of comparison you're looking for? I can give more info if you are looking for something else.
Old Feb 17th, 2005, 04:17 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for the info.
Old Feb 18th, 2005, 12:51 AM

Hi

My wife and I went to Djuma Vuyatela in December 2004. This is a part of the Sabi Sands area. I have posted a trip report with pictures on my personal homepage http://gardkarlsen.com. Maybe you can get an idea of what to expect from my trip report.

Regards
Gard
Stavanger, Norway
Old Feb 18th, 2005, 04:30 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Gard!
Old Feb 18th, 2005, 04:36 PM

Atravelynn,

Unfortunately, I had a different experience at Vuyatela. I have topped my report for your scrutiny.