Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Africa & the Middle East
Reload this Page >

Help with planning Morocco-AndalusiaThe best route to take?

Jul 25th, 2010, 02:00 PM
Original Poster

Hello Again
I had asked for help a few weeks ago , but my plans have changed. Need advice on Itinerary Please!
We use trains ,planes & buses.
April 19th 2011 fly into Madrid (9:00am)from Miami arriving 20th-Fly out to Marrakech that day (11:00am)? Easy Jet
5 days Marrekech , Atlas Mountains, Desert overnight trip
3days Fes
3days- Seville
2 days Cordoba
3days Granada
2 days Madrid- DH flies to US and I take a flight from Madrid to Nice(5 days to visit GF!)
My questions are: Morocco
1 Do I just visit Marrakech for 6 days forget Fes?
2 How do I get to Fes from Marrakech? or to Seville?
3 Do I hire a guide to get me to those places?
Andalusia
1 If I fly from Fes or Marreckech to which city in Andalusia to start so I end at Madrid? Do I need to go in reverse Granada- Seville- Cordoba -Madrid?
Any help would be appreciated as I am to book tickets in next few days(FF miles)
Jul 25th, 2010, 03:03 PM
Original Poster

PS- We are a couple in our 50's who like history and adventure.Staying in a Berber tent sounds fun!
We are not luxury travelers,We try to budget travel but it doesn't always end that way.
We have traveled to many countries,DH speaks French, Spanish,Italian and sometimes English!LOL
Thanks for any and all help
Jul 25th, 2010, 03:36 PM
jgg

1 Do I just visit Marrakech for 6 days forget Fes? - No definitely go to Fes, split up your time between the two.

2 How do I get to Fes from Marrakech? You could self-drive, hire a guide or take the train (not sure if it is direct, might stop in Casablanca). Also, if you are planning on doing the desert overnight you should not go all the way back to Marakkech from there but drive Marakkech to desert and then desert to Fes (or vice versa).

3 Do I hire a guide to get me to those places? We did, and we really enjoyed our guide, but many people do it on their own. I guess it is your personal preference.

Here is a link to my trip report with contact info. for our guide etc. We started out with 5 nights in Barcelona and then flew to Marakkech so don't have any insight on the Andalusia questions.
http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...s-tangines.cfm
Jul 25th, 2010, 05:09 PM
Original Poster

jgg
Just read your trip report- awesome!
Would like to take your same route so will check out BlueMen.
I think we might do Marr by ourselves for 2days then hire someone to take us from there to Fes.
Jul 25th, 2010, 06:00 PM

I don't think that you have enough time when you first arrive to connect to your Easy Jet flight. If you are arriving at 9 a.m. you have to wait for your luggage and clear immigration and customs. You will then have to go to the Easy Jet counter (probably in another terminal), check-in and re-check your bags. You cannot check bags through or use the transit drop-off for Easy Jet. Then you have to go back through security.Easy Jet closes their check-in desks 40 minutes before departure. If you have an 11 a.m. flight then you would have to be checked in by 10:20 a.m. That's really cutting it close for a 9 a.m. scheduled arrival. What if your original flight is late, your luggage is the last off or lines are long?
Jul 25th, 2010, 06:44 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the reply. I agree- There is another flight at 3:40pm on Ryan Air I am considering. We travel with carry on only so that could save some time. Keep the suggestions coming please! All are appreciated.
Jul 26th, 2010, 09:01 AM

Are you sure the Ryan Air flight leaves from the same airport (they often do not)?
Jul 27th, 2010, 08:31 AM

Charon53,
I am in the planning stages for a similar trip though we will do Spain first. I have been unable to obtain definite info on Ryan Air flights from Seville to Fez in April 2011. The website does not appear to go out that far. In the months of Oct. Nov. 2010 they have flights on Sunday and Wed. then it changes in January to Tues then they stop showing flights all together. Do you have any info on this, or if any one else does chime in.
Jul 27th, 2010, 03:13 PM
Original Poster

Hello scfphoto,
The website is only up to March 26,2011. I am sure the next month you will be able to look at April and in 2 months look at May.It appears Ryan only flies Seville to Fez all year on Sunday and Wednesday. I checked on www.whichbudget.com and the only airline it showing Seville to Fez is Ryan.
What month are you going?May?

Today my itinerary has changed to:
April 19,-20th Miami to Madrid
20th catch the 1640 to Marrakech
21-Marrakech-local guide
22 Marrakech
23-27guide to Atlas mountains, Desert overnight,ending up in Fez
28 flying out to either Seville, Granada,or Cordoba
28-May6-Seville, Granada,or cordoba-haven't figured out the order yet.
May6-8th-Madrid(actually Toledo)DH flies out from Madrid to Miami- I fly to Nice France to visit GF !!!!
May 14th Nice to Miami
Since we were going to fly into Madrid and being big holidays in Seville I thought we would fly straight to Morroco the visit Spain for the last part of vacation.
I have not figured out if flying to Marrakech first , Atlas mountains, desert and then Fez if that's the best way to do it. I will take jgg suggestions above and hopefully all will work.I love to plan my trips!
Jul 27th, 2010, 03:22 PM
Original Poster

scfphoto
You can also go to www.alternativeairlines.com it will tell you what airlines have flights to anywhere.
Jul 27th, 2010, 03:44 PM

Charron 53, I must be dense. When I go to Ryan Air Website it shows no flights anytime after January 2011. Feb, March and April has no flights available for SVQ to FEZ. Maybe their site is not MAC friendly. We are trying to book for April 6 which is a Wed. I will have to call them. Everyone seems to make a loop one direction or the other Fez, then Mountains, desert dunes, gorges then Marrakech or the reverse order.
Jul 27th, 2010, 04:06 PM
Original Poster

scfphoto
Website showed me flights up to March 26th- Maybe the Mac?LOL
Will fly to Marrakech and go from there. I have alot of work ahead of me, but I enjoy it!
Just wish the air websites would let you book sooner as I still don't have my flight to Nice yet!