What to bring on game drives?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 30th, 2008, 02:13 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My apologies if this has been asked before, I'm sure it has been but I couldn't find it. But, what do you (esp the ladies) bring on a game drive? The obvious springs to mind - tissues, hand sanitizer, camera and binocs, field guide(s), sunglasses and hat, bug spray and sunscreen. But, anything else?

And, what do you carry it in? I'm thinking one of my older canvas shoulderbags, a smaller one, that zips shut and is secure. I don't want to buy yet another thing for this trip that I may never use again, and I don't use backpacks, or, Ugghh! fanny packs.

Any advice appreciated - we leave in 19 days and I'm starting to panic!!

Old Nov 30th, 2008, 03:05 PM

Should be obvious, but unless you've secured in a lodge safe, don't leave your passport, credit cards, money and airline tickets behind.

Extra battery/ies for your camera and film or digital media. Your journal/pad, pens/pencils.

If you have a tote bag that zips, you should be fine.
Old Nov 30th, 2008, 03:11 PM

A little torch - even just key-ring size (I have one attached to my camera bag) so that if you are out after dark you can see your camera controls or see to change a battery etc and also to take a look around the vehicle to see if you've left anything behind.
Old Nov 30th, 2008, 03:23 PM
Original Poster

sandi, yes that is obvious, and I hadn't thought of it - Thank you!

Batteries - check! and chargers to charge up electronics.

and a journal - I have stalled doing a trip report on a Europe trip a few years ago. Didn't do it right away and have forgotten too much to finish it now - aaah, the pleasures of aging! So, a journal is a great idea.

Small flashlight - wonderful! I have one and will bring it.

Thanks all - any more ideas?
Old Nov 30th, 2008, 04:36 PM

Some SPF lip balm. Your camera manual if it is slim. Water bottle. A small ziplock if you will have used tissues to take back to camp.

I think you'll be set to go.
Old Nov 30th, 2008, 05:44 PM

i brought small sizes of everything (sanitizer, bug spray, etc.) so that everything fit into my camera bag, thus eliminating the need for a second bag.

additional suggestions: a few drink "singles" like Crystal Light or Propel - they weight nothing and make warm bottle water much more palatable. also, the cool gel neck wraps are fantastic!! you soak them overnight in water; they swell up and remain cool around your neck all day long. aaahhhhhhhhhhh
Old Nov 30th, 2008, 05:49 PM

granola bars

wet wipes but make them non scented.

Ibuprofen or tylenol

Bandaids and antiseptic cream

Old Nov 30th, 2008, 06:15 PM

Patience!

Regards,
Eric
Old Nov 30th, 2008, 06:20 PM

Plastic Ziplock bags and T-paper for those bush stops.
Never leave anything behind .... so awful!
Old Nov 30th, 2008, 06:27 PM
Original Poster

I love those neck wraps - I have two, 1 with the cutest martini glass design. And, they truly work.

Baggies and tp - check!

Patience definitely, especially if we have to look a tad more for wildlife since we will be there in the rainy season. I try not to forget my sense of humor, too...

Snacks and aspirin, of course.
Old Nov 30th, 2008, 07:50 PM

One of the things I have learnt ti take on game drives, especially early morning starts which return for a late breakfast are some cheese and crackers, and perhaps a flask with some hot tea or coffee.

Old Nov 30th, 2008, 07:50 PM

Momliz,

One thing I wouldn't take with me on safaris or game drives is anything food related. There is much too much food on safari. There will always be food in the jeep during game drives just in case the drives are long. Same with water, drinks etc etc., also storing food in tented camps isn't something I would do - never know what bugs and insects they may or maynot attract.

Jeeps will also have the bug repellant in them. Atleast, the Bots places that you are going to.
Old Nov 30th, 2008, 07:52 PM

Our posts crossed.......
Old Nov 30th, 2008, 10:02 PM

Hey Hari,

Main thing is to have something to munch. If the game drive provides the food then thats excellent. I was looking more at the private vehicle I used in Kenya and also in South Africa I was self driving in Kruger for 7 days with the family and a hungry bored kid is not nice. The cheese and crackers really were hit. I originally learnt this idea from a friend in Sri Lanka and it was so nice that I have emulated it and really works for us.

On the evening drive (unless sundowners are provided) it is very nice to take a bottle of wine and stop by a waterhole near sunset.

I really enjoy just stopping in nice places and waiting. Whe you switch off the car engine and wait you start hearing so many sounds and it is beautiful. One in Sri Lanka I had stopped on the bund of a water holeand we were wathcing some bee eaters and a couple of eagles when we heard the calling of a leopard, and few minutes later e tracked her down. In a moving vehicle you do miss a lot. I guess in the end its a compromise.

Old Dec 1st, 2008, 01:03 AM
Original Poster

Thank you, Hari - you raise a good point. Having traveled out west in bear country, I'm familiar with the issue.

And, Mohammed, a hungry kid is no fun. Thanks for mentioning turning the vehicle off - we live somewhat close to a major highway, and I drive a large vehicle, so I do love silence - or at least listening to the sounds of the bush - they are magic...
Old Dec 1st, 2008, 03:33 AM

It entirely depends on where you are staying. I say that because if you are staying at Governors (I have no affiliation with them by the way) all you NEED is sunblock and bug spray, but they may even have that.

Field books, cameras, binoculars are by no means required. they may enhance your trip, but may also distract you from the beautiful places you are about to visit.
Old Dec 1st, 2008, 04:26 AM

Mohammed,

Our posts crossed, and I didn't read your post at the time I was typing mine. My suggestions to Momliz was based on her immediate itinerary RE her upcoming safari.

I fully agree with what are saying, though.....

Momliz,

You will have a blast! Enjoy and stop worrying ..... everything will be fantastic .........
Old Dec 1st, 2008, 04:44 AM

Hi Moml,
It may help if you tell us where your staying.

Many camps will provide unlimited water and food goods which include snacks etc. I'd think twice about bringing food. Baboons will tear your tent apart looking for it.
They'll also have TP etc. Ask ahead but they should have a first aid kit.

Some do have bug spray but from what I've seen it's nothing that I'd use on my body.
Bring your own favorite ( I brought bug wipes)along with lots of block.

I had 3 different types of hats - a fleece one for cold, a baseball cap (great for the early rising sun that gets in your eyes and a smaller brimmed crushable hat with a neck tie for faster drives.

I also bought a buff which was useful to cover my ears/neck and to block out dust. DH had a headband instead.
Gloves (EMS) - I had a great pair of tight fitting gloves with hand grips _ I could keep them on when using the camera.
Extra thin layers to peel off or add. AM drives are cold but get warmer as the sun comes up. The reverse of course is true for the afternoon drive. Can't go wrong bringing a foldaway windbreaker on each drive.

My extra backpack came with us on every drive. I've got one that has many compartments for ease.

Extra camera batteries and chargers, lens cleaners, etc. would also come with us on each drive, as well. That, and the extra camera, just in case.
Old Dec 1st, 2008, 05:26 AM

I'd also suggest Visine or some other eyedrops, especially if you wear contacts. I found my eyes to be very dry when we where driving - probably a combination of dust and allergies.
Old Dec 1st, 2008, 08:14 AM

Instead of taking my full-sized journal along, I keep a small spiral-bound notebook with a slim ball-point pen in the spiral tucked in a pocket. I can then jot down a quick note of the wildlife seen on the drive, or other notes (some of the signs in Nairobi were interesting!)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -