Help with my itinerary - please!!!

Sep 30th, 1999, 03:39 AM
Jo

Help with my itinerary - please!!!

OK - I have 6 weeks in to Cairo, and out of Cairo. I'm trying to full in my itinerary, and I'm having a few problems sorting out whats more worthwhile. I am on a budget and want to a mixture between a relaxed beach, diving and sightseeing holidayI know on previous trips I tend to get "sightsee sick" or rush around trying so hard to see everything I forget to relax. I don't want that this time.
At the moment I have.
Cairo - 3 days - overnight train to Aswan
Aswan - 2 days
Boat cruise to Luxor
Luxor - 3 days
Hurghada -ferry to Sharm-el-Sheik, bus to Dahab
Dahab - about 10 days
Eilat - about 2 days, bus to Jeruselam
Jeruselam - about 3 days
Dead Sea - about 3 days
This is when I hit a bit of a dead spot. I have 3 weeks left to get back to Cairo before I fly out. I would possibly like to consider heading towards Alexandra on the Mediterranean coast of Egypt. Only problem is that I haven't heard too much about it. Is it nice? Or am I better of heading back via Dahab for a few days? Also, how is the dress code on the Med side? I know its pretty cruisey on the Red Sea side, and I really do want to get a tan! What about diving? Obviously it won't be as good as the Red Sea but is there any? Or even snorkelling? Please help me! I have got a guide book, but there is so many places, I really don't know. Also, what else is really worth while in Israel?
Thanks for any help - sorry for such a long post.

Sep 30th, 1999, 08:17 AM
Tarek

Hi Jo,
For one thing, you might consider spending more than just three days in Cairo. It defiitely desreves it. I would also suggest that you head North to Alexandria (no diving, unfortunately), and then West to Marsa Matruh (check out the beaches), and then South to the oasis of Siwa (just a great place), and then you can visit other oasis in the Western desert (Baharyia, Dakhla, Kharga, Farafra -- Docn't miss the White Desert!!!). These places are remote, but since you have time, it is definitely worth it.
Have a great trip!

Sep 30th, 1999, 10:31 AM
Paula

Skip the long drive to Marsa Matruh - it is nothing but desert. You could see El Alemein and the WWII cemetaries there but I don't think that that is your thing.

As far as the desert oasis go, again that is a long drive into the desert to se basically more sand and a little water.

There are plenty of things to see in Israel but you get bored with the sightseeing thing from your note. The Med beaches in Israel are comparable to the Alex beaches in Egypt.

Jordan is a nice country filled with castles, deserts, historic relics but I am not quite sure you are into doing touring.

You certainly can spend much more time in Cairo - the city itself is chock full of adventures and there are short trips from Cairo itself that are worthwhile to see other pyramids.

Oct 1st, 1999, 10:31 AM
lisa

A friend of mine just showed me the photos from her trip to Jordan and it looked incredible and she said it was wonderful -- that's where I'd go.

Search this Thread