&Beyond vs. Wilderness Groups

Old Mar 22nd, 2016, 09:39 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
&Beyond vs. Wilderness Groups

I am traveling to Bostwana and have my 3rd camp decided (Sanctuary Chief Camp) but trying to narrow down between WS vs &Beyond properties for the other two. Any thoughts/feedback?

Duma Tau/Vambura Plains
Sandibe/Xudum
Old Mar 23rd, 2016, 01:53 PM

We were in Botswana with Wilderness Safaris in 1999 and the camps were wonderful: Kings Pool, Xigera, and Mombo. We stayed in &Beyond camps in S Africa and Namibia in 2014. They, too, were wonderful. Don't think you can go wrong.
Old Mar 24th, 2016, 05:37 AM

Hi There,

I have been to Chief's Camp and every &Beyond and every Wilderness Safari camp in Botswana except for the new Pelo. In order for me to give my best answer to your question, can you let me know what time of year are you traveling? Do you have flexibility? For example, traveling the last week of June vs. first week of July could save you about 30% with &Beyond and Chief's. This is an important factor in how I answer. Also, are you going to Vic Falls or on safari in South Africa or to the beach in Mozambique? This may affect available long stay discounts.

I noted this same question on TA so I answered there as well.

Craig Beal - owner - Travel Beyond
Old Mar 24th, 2016, 07:41 AM

Hi There,
It really does depend on your personal preferences, what exactly you are looking for in and on your holiday.
Broadly speaking, I would say &Beyond is a more stylish and fabulous in the food department, but (personally speaking) the camp positions are not quite as good in terms of game viewing.
Wilderness Safaris camps on the other hand, are more down-to-earth, but in general (once again, my personal opinion) better positioned for game viewing.
Not to set a cat amongst the pigeons, but you may also want to consider Desert & Delta, who have some excellent properties in Botswana.
If budget is not an issue you can't really go wrong with any of the properties mentioned, there are slight strengths and weaknesses to each.
I'm not sure when you are planning on travelling, but I do however feel like your decision may be decided 'for' you by the actual availability at the various properties.
I hope this helps, happy planning.
Debbi - Travel Guru, Southern Destinations
Old Mar 24th, 2016, 08:49 AM

Chitown - as mentioned on the other forum:

I am a fan of all four lodges but May can be a tricky time because of the peak flood levels in the Okavango Delta. The rains typically stop in March, but the water levels of the Okavango Delta reach their maximum height in May/June before rapidly receding. The floods have different effects on each of the places you mentioned.

In generally, I travel to Botswana in two distinctly different styles. Sometimes I do what most would call a “normal” safari staying at each lodge for 2-3 nights and doing all the “normal” safari activities. I have done this type of trip with my family and with groups of friends and even with industry colleagues. O other trips, I move around Botswana and see as many lodges as possible to get a comparison of products in the same season. Usually I do this to check-out the hardware (the camp itself) at places I have already been to make sure they are keeping up the standards. In May 2010, I chartered a helicopter and flew to every Wilderness Safari camp and every &Beyond camp in the country over a ten day period. It was a great way for me to have a side-by-side comparison of ecosystems in peak flood.

So, here are my two cents: in May, the water levels at Xudum will be very high and I fear you will not have much opportunity for land based game drives because much of the landscape will be flooded. Although the vast majority of Sandibe’s game drive area is dry, the approach to the camp is relatively low lying. You end up having to cross quite a few bodies of water at slow speed to get to the camp. In May, I feel Chitabe Camp is a better option to minimize this time spend “wading”. Chitabe is on the opposite side of the same concession as Sandibe and they share an air strip. There is one crossing as you approach Chitabe were the land rover is in 2-3 feet of water and that is it.

My answer on Vumbura Plains is “it depends”. It depends if you are talking about Little Vumbura/LV or Vumbura Plains North/VPN or Vumbura Plains South/VPS. To get to the game drive area from LV you need to drive through 30-45 minutes of water each game drive in each direction. Therefore, each day you can spend 120-180 minutes driving slow through water. So, you can utilize LV as a water camp and do boats or canoes but if you want game drives then VPS and VPN are better. After you leave camp, you can quickly turn north to dry land from the VPS/VPN lodge. Duma Tau is impervious to the floods so it is a good choice in May with regards to that factor.

Chief’s Camp has solid odds of seeing the big five and they offer water activities so maybe there is no need to go to a second water camp. Wilderness Safaris optimizes their discounts with a six night stay in May so perhaps spend three nights at Chitabe and three at Duma Tau in combination with Chief’s. If you book Sussi & Chuma for the Victoria Falls portion of your trip you will pick up some discounts that apply at Chief’s Camp as well. As long as you are considering Chitabe & Duma Tau you might as well cost out an option that changes Chief’s to Mombo. Mombo is owned by the same company as Chitabe and Duma Tau and you can get a discount then. Mombo and Chief’s are on the same island with great animal viewing, the best in Botswana in my experience and opinion.

I hope this helps!

Craig Beal – owner – Travel Beyond
Old Apr 12th, 2016, 04:59 PM

"Broadly speaking, I would say &Beyond is a more stylish and fabulous in the food department, but (personally speaking) the camp positions are not quite as good in terms of game viewing. "

I would agree for Botswana.

"In May, I feel Chitabe Camp is a better option to minimize this time spend “wading”."

I would agree.

Duma Tau and Chitabe in May. Hope you did or will book that combo.

Swapping out Chief's Camp for Mombo could make sense to stay all Wilderness but check the $$$$$ for the move to Mombo.

If for this May, could be tight bookings.
Old Apr 26th, 2016, 04:55 AM

Chitowntraveler, are you going? Did you decide on something?