Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Africa & the Middle East
Reload this Page >

Info on the Carleton and David Intercontinental Hotels, Tel Aviv?

Old Sep 22nd, 2000, 08:39 AM
karen

Can anyone give me any recommendations/experience re: the Carleton and/or David Intercontinental hotels in Tel Aviv?

Old Sep 24th, 2000, 09:15 PM
Lori

The David Intercontinental is one of the newer hotels in Tel Aviv. It is closer to Jaffa's old city than others and a bit quieter (although I would not call the area quiet as you're not going to find that in TA, espcially near the beach).

The Carleton is more in the middle of things (the beach strip) and Hayarkon St. I have heard that it has been recently renovated.
Anything in particular you're interested in, eg access to buses, health club facilities, beach vs pool etc.?

Old Sep 28th, 2000, 09:07 PM
karen

Lori -

Thanks for the reply. We did a 3 week tour 2 years ago, and spent several days in Tel Aviv. This time, we're only there for a day and a half before we leave. We'll be with our 13 & 15 year olds. Since it will be in March, access to the beach won't be as important as our last trip (August). What I want is something central to just walk out of the hotel and do some shopping and dining. I know the Carelton's been renovated, but if I remember correctly, it's not in a particularly attractive part of the Hayarkon strip.

The Sheraton was recommended in the guidebooks as luxury and very well located. Do you agree? Is there more than one Sheraton in Tel Aviv?

Old Sep 28th, 2000, 10:17 PM
Lori

There are actually at least 3 Sheratons in Tel Aviv. Two of which are close to each other on the beachfront. I stayed at the Towers (not the Moriah) at 115 Hayarkon. Frankly I was not impressed. However, they were renovating the restaurant area and we were there on Shabbat Eve (Friday night) which severely limited the services available at the hotel. And while the pool was closed when we tried to go, there was a sign indicating there was a charge for using it which really turned me off (again, there's a possibility that it was a charge only for non-guests, but that was not my impression and there was no one there to ask).

Old Sep 28th, 2000, 10:36 PM
Lori

Karen, another different kind of option for you may be the Abratel Suites. The hotel is smaller, but pretty new, spacious and clean. It is on Geula, which is not RIGHT on the beach road, but just about (it's perpendicular, ie you turn the corner off the main road, the beach is visible from the balconies of the rooms) It is one block south of the Opera Tower if you remember that small shopping center/building. If the pool, health club, etc facilities of the luxury hotels/chains are important to you then this isn't the place. But it's nice and a bit down from the big, big crowded area tha't N. of the opera tower.

Old Sep 29th, 2000, 06:31 AM
John

For what it's worth, we stayed a couple of times at the Yamit Plaza on Hayarkon, and found it to be comfortable, friendly, and fabulously located. The worst Planet Hollywood on Planet Earth on the ground floor, though. Maybe it's gone by now, peace be on it.