Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Africa & the Middle East (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/)
-   -   Help with Itin, Cape town, botswana, Kruger (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/help-with-itin-cape-town-botswana-kruger-848496/)

Atlantasuger Jul 7th, 2010 05:17 PM

Help with Itin, Cape town, botswana, Kruger

Does this look to crammed? We are trying to see a lot in 11 nights/12 days
3 nights Ngala Lodge
3 nights Cape Grace
1 night Royal Liv
2 nights Sandibe
2 Nights Chobe under canvas.
Thanks!
Cheers
AS

living4safari Jul 7th, 2010 11:24 PM

Hi AS

From a personal point of view.. - it looks exciting!! It is a lot to do, but I love being very busy and having the time of my life when I travel to foreign countries - so maybe someone else will tell you something different

cary999 Jul 7th, 2010 11:37 PM

Does a bit to me, seem crammed.
When you jump a lot between safari camps you most likely lose a game drive (or two) at each camp. Check your camp transfer details for times and see if you could stay more time in camps, more game drives, save $$$, by having fewer camps. Maybe in Botswana four nights at one camp?

You coming from Atlanta? I live/leave from California and considering the flights time/rigors and $$$$, I like to stay 3 weeks in Africa.

And, also, my personal preference would be to skip Cape Grace Hotel and put those days and $$$ into the other safari camps. What attracts you about Cape Town (that you have not already seen in USA or European cities)?

regards - tom

Lynneb Jul 8th, 2010 04:50 AM

It's a great trip but I do think it's quite a lot of moving around. As Tom says you will probably miss game drives and be exhausted. Personally, I'd miss out Cape Town.

Atlantasuger Jul 8th, 2010 05:19 AM

Thank you all very much!

spassvogel Jul 8th, 2010 12:17 PM

OMG - comparing Cape Town with an American or European City it outrageously underestimating that marvelous city, its surroundings and landmarks. I don't even mention the winelands!

But - "it's all matter of taste said the monkey and bit in the soap".

I would rather stay 4 nights in Sandibe instead of splitting.

But for sure would I under no circumstances skip Cape Town!

I would advise you to calculate one or two more night(s) in JNB as you need to connect to Botswana in the morning; the afternoon service is too risky in order to arrive early so that you reach your camp priot to sunset; Air BOT often has delays in the afternoon getting out of JNB into Maun e.g.

I would prefer the following:

- fly into JNB and either fly further to Maun or Livingstone - what ever suits best to your time table
- do Livingstone or Botswana first or vv
- fly Botswana-JNB in order to get to Timbavati and head down to CPT in the end.
Anything else is too much criss crossing time in transit.

Happy planning

((@))

Atlantasuger Jul 8th, 2010 05:21 PM

Thank you-we can't afford 4 nights sandibe-do you think we should do 3 nights chobe under canvas 2 nights royal liv and skip sandibe?

Atlantasuger Jul 8th, 2010 05:22 PM

And we wouldn't skip cape town!! can't wait for it!thx

wildwings Jul 13th, 2010 05:52 AM

I would probably skip Sandibe, yes. Also interesting that Sandibe is before Chobe under canvas in your itinerary. If you did have enough time for it, I would do Sandibe last and then fly back to Joburg via Maun. But your idea of 2 nights royal livingstone and 3 nights chobe under canvas would work well.
If you are booking this through a tour operator, ask for a detailed itinerary that shows the travel times and expected arrival/departure times at each place, so you can get a feel for how much travelling is involved, and whether you will miss any game drives on such a busy schedule.

Atlantasuger Jul 13th, 2010 10:22 AM

Ok thank you. YOu do not think Sandibe is worth it?

canadian_robin Jul 14th, 2010 05:51 AM

If it were me, I would get rid of the Royal Livingstone and stay in tented accommodation, where I will hear the sound of the hippos and elephants in the (Zambezi) river at night. There are plenty of luxury options - such as Tongabezi (www.tongabezi.com) or their island Sindabezi (described in the Bradt Guide as "the closest you can come to being a castaway in luxurious comfort"), Toka Leya (see wilderness-safaris.com) etc.

As for Cape Town, we love it and always fly in and out of the city (from Heathrow) so that we have an excuse to visit. Table Mountain, the Winelands, the Cape Peninsula...so much to see. However, as your time is limited, I might give it a miss - it depends on your priorities. Robin

wildwings Jul 14th, 2010 09:02 AM

Sandibe is a great lodge, I'm just thinking of the distance and time constraints. Two nights and three nights will be more relaxed than 1 night, 2 nights and 2 nights. And Chobe under canvas is closer to Vic Falls so a bit easier to reach (shorter flight). So if you skip one camp, it would make sense to skip Sandibe. You can also skip Chobe under canvas and do Sandibe instead. But that will cost more.