Need some honeymoon advice...

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 26th, 2011, 03:41 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are planning our honeymoon for next July/August. We are definitely doing a safari in South Africa (looking at the lodges in Balule reserve if anyone has any suggestions/opinions on that please feel free to comment) for 4-5 days. After that we have another 7 days or so and had been considering Mauritius strongly. We are now wondering if we should forego a beach leg and do something else (Cape Town, Dubai, etc) that might make this a bit more "once in a lifetime". Would love any advice on whether Mauritius is the way to go for that, or some other option.

Thanks in advance.

Terry
Old Dec 26th, 2011, 04:47 PM

I stayed at Mohlabetsi in October (Balule Reserve.) It's a great lodge, with a fantastic staff and excellent dining. The game drives and walks were good, but a bit spotty at times. However, I'm following their Facebook page and note lots of "Big 5" drives of late. I think you'd really enjoy this place. Since you're in South Africa, you could either do more game reserves such as Timbavati, which is close to Balule, or go to Cape Town as noted. There are lots of wonderful areas to explore there, such as the Winelands, Cape Peninsula, etc.
Old Dec 26th, 2011, 04:59 PM

Why Balule for safari?

I would agree to forego the beach in Maruitus and do something unique to South Africa, that you cannot do elsewhere. Cape Town can be rainy that time of year, but it has so much to offer, including spectacular shoreline--even if it's too cold to swim that time of year.

That is a perfect time for Great White Shark activity off of Cape Town. Many good operators. I used African Shark Eco Charters out of Simons Town, which is 30 minutes from Cape Town and a great place to base yourself. It's where I chose.
http://www.ultimate-animals.com/facts/methods.htm

Easy drive (or hire a driver/guide) to Cape of Good Hope, it's right where the penguins are. Easy to get to Kirstenbosch Gardens.

For perspective, I've never been to Mauritius or Dubai.

Check these threads

http://www.fodors.com/community/afri...r-botswana.cfm

http://www.fodors.com/community/afri...-honeymoon.cfm

http://www.fodors.com/community/afri...s-211402-2.cfm
Old Dec 26th, 2011, 05:25 PM
Original Poster

Some great links, thanks very much. As for the safari, we aren't wedded to any one place (other than it be in South Africa for ease of travel). Have looked at Sabi Sands, MalaMala, etc. Just came across Balule and it seems to offer a lot, but we could be swayed if anyone has alternate recommendations (the Pondoro caught our eye as did Singwe and the above mentioned Mohlabetsi ).

Thanks again.
Old Dec 26th, 2011, 07:25 PM

Thanks for the Balule info Shaytay. Lots of good places around Kruger.
Old Dec 27th, 2011, 02:47 AM

capetown.oneandonlyresorts.com
Add their Le St Gerain Property
in Mauritius if time permitd.
Garth Jenman www.jenmansafaris.com
best most knowledgeable in SA for me.
CAREFUL many touts/scammers here "advising"
with for profit motives..Always pay with
CC NEVER wire money and insuremytrip.com

Congrats!
Old Dec 27th, 2011, 02:51 AM

One&Only Le Saint Géran, Mauritius is a relaxed and discreet luxury resort that features breathtaking vistas of the deep blue Indian Ocean.

lesaintgeran.oneandonlyresorts.com
Old Dec 27th, 2011, 07:13 AM

There are lots of private reserves in the Kruger Park area catering to all interests and budgets. I've been to camps in Sabi Sands, Kapama, Timbavati and Balule. It's hard to be Sabi Sands for consistent game viewing, but the prices are mostly high. I had some great sightings in the other areas, but it was less consistent (several "quiet drives".) Of course, I've had those at Sabi Sands, as well. You just need to look at your budget and then find the best place that works in that framework (says the accountant!)
Old Dec 27th, 2011, 07:20 AM

Where are you traveling from that you are even considering Mauritius?

And, where does Dubai fit it? It's in the UAE. Are you planning on flying Emirates Air? If so, then you transit thru here to/from SA. Of course, you can spend a day or two on the return if it's 'beach' you're seeking.

Otherwise, once in South Africa, Capetown 4/nts should be a must, then the balance can be safari. (or safari then CPT).
Old Dec 27th, 2011, 11:58 AM
Original Poster

Dubai is just another place we have always wanted to go. We would fly up to Dubai and then hopefully get the A380 home (to New York City). The safari is the one thing we absolutely can't miss. All the comments and suggestions have been great, but the description of Cape Town as perfect for anyone who loves to eat and drink might have sealed it though. Thanks to everyone.
Old Dec 27th, 2011, 04:24 PM

Dubai isn't what it used to be about 5/yrs ago and even then... building and more building. There's been so much there are closed roadways, horrific traffic that getting from place-to-place, depending on where staying in the first place, can be quite a challenge.

Otherwise, lots of malls, with the best place to consider is probably the Gold souk, but you'd better know prices beforehand, or whatever you're considering purchasing 'is a must.' Remember... we do have 47th Street! Where if you don't like or feel ripped-off can easily return... not so easy to do so if bought in Dubai. And, as far as the beaches go, you can do better by visiting at the Hamptons, Caribbean, Mexico, Central America and even Hawaii.

But, CPT - now, that's a winner!
Old Dec 28th, 2011, 11:53 AM

... not to mention it will be blazing hot in Dubai in the summer! I vote for Cape Town.
Old Dec 28th, 2011, 02:41 PM
Original Poster

Seems like it is Cape Town all around

]]]]]]]]]

Seems like Cape Town in the consensus pick . Dubai is out and while I am sure Mauritius is beautiful and has lots to offer, we can skip the beach and stay in SA. Now it will just be a matter of getting award business class tickets to JNB. I reserved 2 from JNB-JFK, but so far only economy is available on JFK-JNB.

Thanks again everyone!