help with first trip to capetown and safari

Jun 10th, 2004, 05:17 PM
Original Poster

help with first trip to capetown and safari

My wife and I are planning our first trip to south africa for next february. We live in Atlanta and can travel for about 10-11 nights. We want to see capetown, victoria falls and safari at a luxury game reserve near Kruger park. Should we consider Abercrombie and Kent? We need advice. Thanks
Jun 10th, 2004, 10:38 PM

Hi Freester, I know a good tour operator in Cape Town called O'Africa. Their website is http://www.oafrica.co.za/ She can give you lots of good advice and will even make restaurant bookings for you.
Jun 11th, 2004, 06:54 AM
sandi

freester - As to A&K, I and just about everyone else here would have a give you a resounding NO (especially Roccco, but he's in Africa right now).

There is nothing wrong with working with A&K, that is if you have no issue with paying almost twice as much as what other outfitters would offer.

There are a number of in-country tour operators who can help with your itinerary, such as:

Pulse Africa
go2africa
Taga Safaris

If you'd prefer to work with companies in the US, you might consider:

Africa Tours (located LI, NY)
African Portfolio (located CT)

there are many others here in the States (those on the board seem to have their favorites) which I'm sure our regulars will be glad to advise.

You should check the site links for these companies and see what they have to offer - they may even have the same or similar itineraries as A&K - check number of days of entire itinerary, days in CPT, VFA, and Lux Safari, also the lodging/accommodations used, as well as internal flights (A&K usually has these listed separately and their prices are higher than everyone else). Compare these to the itinerary you were thinking of from A&K; then send emails to a miminum of 2-each African and US-based operators and ask them for prices. You can tell each company that you have put your request out to bid to a few others and will base your decision on (price, accommodations, extras - whatever you decide) and see what they come back to you with.

Understand that there is nothing wrong with A&K, but they are overpriced. You can get like, and often better options from others and at better prices. The only thing you'll be missing by not using A&K is a cap with their name on it and maybe a small duffle bag. Take my word, these trinkets don't justify the price differences.

Once you have the information from some of these outfitters, don't hesitate to come back to us here if you have any questions.

Search this Thread