Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Africa & the Middle East (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/)
-   -   Help with first time safari (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/help-with-first-time-safari-235152/)

Anna Jun 28th, 2002 08:08 AM

Help with first time safari

My husband and I (ages 30 and 32) have decided in the last few days to go on a safari this September. I have done a search of this board and it looks like 2Afrika would be a good choice for us due to their prices and good feedback. We are trying to decide if we should choose Kenya or Tanzania. We would also like to add on either Zazibar or Cape Town. Any suggestions for a first time safari would be appreciated.

Dick Jun 28th, 2002 09:29 AM

Anna, my wife, 15 yr old daughter and I returned last week from trip to Tanzania via 2Afrika. I will be glad to address any specific questions. Twice I have prepared rather lengthy response as a post only to not see them make the board. Maybe some of the more experienced posters could tell me if there is a max length involved. Bottomline, is that we were very satisfied with our trip. Dick

Patricia Jun 28th, 2002 09:52 AM

I went to Kenya and South Africa with them. Great trip. Very satisfied, so the provider is no problem. Now--where to go! We did our safari in Kenya. Lake Nakuru and Masai Mara, in that order. And I wouldn't do them in any other order. Masai Mara is the best and should be done last. We only did the Cape Town area in S.A. No safari or anything. Did a city tour, wine country 1/2 day tour, and one day to the Cape of Good Hope. It shows you a whole other side (very European) of Africa. It's a nice contrast. I can't advise you on Kenya vs. Tanzania, as I haven't seen Tanzania. Maybe others can. I know you'll have a great time. Vintage Africa takes over when you get to Kenya and they were great. Don't know if they operate in Tanz. or not.

Dave Jul 1st, 2002 06:27 AM

Dick-<BR><BR>It seems that the max length of a post is about one typed page. If I have a longer report, I post a page worth, then replies each about a page worth. You can see this in "The Road to Zanzibar."

Dick Jul 1st, 2002 06:31 AM

Dave, thanks for the hints. I will try that approach. Guess I got carried away in typing comments as I was almost on safari again. Will try the shorter means.<BR>Thanks

Anna Jul 1st, 2002 09:07 AM

I think we've narrowed it down to 2Afrika's Swinging Safari in Kenya. The tour includes Nairobi, Mountain Lodge, Lake Nakuru National Park, Lake Naivasha, and Masai Mara National Park. Is 4 nights on safari enough? After the safari we think we'll fly to Victoria Falls for 2 nights, then to Cape Town for 3 nights before flying home from there. <BR><BR>Dick- I hope you can post your report, I am interested in reading it.

Thyra Jul 1st, 2002 11:56 AM

We also took a 2Afrika Safari to Nakuru and Masai Mara, I posted a trip report if you do a search on 2Afrika. Have a wonderful time.. I am jealous to be going back.