Search

A Safari Neophyte

Search this Thread

Old Jun 25th, 2002, 01:17 PM
Nisha

A Safari Neophyte

My parents have charged me with the task of planning a safari in celebration of their 25th wedding anniversary. They, along with one other couple, would like to spend about 10-14 days in "untouched" Africa. They don't want to spend more than, say, $3000 per person, not including air fare. Does anyone know of any quality tours to South Africa that fit these criteria? My dad has fixated on Zambia...any comments on that country? Please, please, please help...I really want them to have a fantastic time, as they really deserve it Thanks!

Old Jun 25th, 2002, 02:02 PM
kavey

Nisha<BR>I'd start with spending a few hours reading through some of the posts in this forum.<BR><BR>Search (using the search function at the top of the page) on the following countries:<BR><BR>Zambia<BR>Botswana<BR>Namibia<BR >Kenya<BR>Tanzania<BR>South Africa<BR><BR>And try and narrow down the kind of trip you are looking for.<BR><BR>Generally speaking tourism is least expensive in Kenya and Tanzania, and most expensive in Botswana, though you can find budget and luxury choices in each country.<BR><BR>If they would like to combine regular sightseeing with the safari I hear that South Africa is wonderful. Close friends of ours went recently and did some sightseeing in Cape Town, some driving through the wine and garden routes and some time in a safari area.<BR><BR>I loved my trip to Namibia and Botswana, it was the most wonderful holiday I have ever been on, and I am lucky to have travelled a reasonable amount.<BR><BR>Posters here are equally enthusiastic about East Africa (though I personally found it more crowded and less "untouched".<BR><BR>One tip would be to look at the website of Wilderness Safaris who run some wonderful camps in Southern Africa. We found the lodges fantastic (the tents have comfortable beds and bathrooms and yet allow you to hear the sounds of the wild through the canvas walls and windows). <BR><BR>http://www.wilderness-safaris.com<BR><BR>Kind Regards<BR>Kavey

Old Jun 25th, 2002, 03:47 PM
Lisa waverley

With that kind of budget, they have their pick of any number of places. but it also depends on what time of year. Certain camps have cheaper rates in the south African winter. Sabi Sabi is one that I know of. I can speak only of our experiences in South Africa and Botswana as that is where we have been on safari. <BR>While South africa is a highly developed nation with a solid infrastructure (all pluses in my bbok), when on safari, you will not feel that you are inundated with crowds. There are strict conservation and ecological controls so numbers are limited especially in terms of the number of landrovers allowed per sighting. Many of the camps are small and intimate, In private reserves the landrovers ar allowed off road to track the big 5, allowing for up close and personal encounters.<BR><BR>We will be in Zambia at the Falls but I really don't have much experience with their safari operations.

Old Jun 26th, 2002, 09:59 AM
Louise

I would like to recommend Bert at www.fisheaglesafaris.com. He is in Houston but originally from Africa. I am sure he can put a great trip together and does use the Wilderness Safari locations. Our trip to Capetown, Botswana and Victoria Falls couldn't have been better. We did go previously to Kenya and Tanzania and although a wonderful trip also, we found it a little too "crowded" for what we like.

Old Jun 27th, 2002, 12:00 PM
Karen

With that type of money they should be able to see a lot of really good stuff in South Africa - the exchange rate is between 9 or 10 to 1 in their favour. Sabi, Kapama, Garonga, Pilanesberg - all great. If they are into cave art - Cederberg - Bushman's Kloof has over 125 ancient San People cave paintings on show. Lots of Boer War historical stuff in and around Durban and then there is always The Blue Train. If they are over 60 they get 50% off and it is luxury like you wouldn't believe. If they took it from Jo'burg to Cape Town they would see Kimberly which is diamond country. The train stops to let you explore Kimberley. Or they could do Cape Town to Victoria Falls. They have a web site you can check out. There are so many things to see and do here.Whatever you finally decide I am sure they will have a wonderful time. One thing to remember is that if you are leaving from the US it is minimun 13 hour flight from JFK and there is a minimun time difference of 6 hours which take at least a day to adjust to. I would certainly thank you if you took that into consideration for me so I am going to guess that they would appreciate it too. Good luck <BR>Karen