Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Africa & the Middle East (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/)
-   -   Help with camera setting (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/help-with-camera-setting-556638/)

tigerpaw Sep 6th, 2005 11:07 AM

Help with camera setting

I have just received my Panasonic FZ20 and am reading the manual and experimenting. It came with a 16MB card and using the setting that was set on the camera when I got it--2560 X 1920 with the Fine quality---I could only get 5 pictures on the card. I changed to 1600 X 1200 with a Standard quality setting and now can get 30 pictures on the 16MB card. I had prints made from both of the 2 settings and to my untrained eye, both look about the same quality.
I really don't know what I am doing and what the settings indicate. Some were taken inside with the flash and some were outdoors on both settings.
Can anyone help me understand what I am doing?
Thanks so much for your help.

matnikstym Sep 6th, 2005 11:37 AM

go to border's or another bookstore and get "shooting and sharing digital photos for dummies" Very helpful with my new canon powershot s-1. (and about 1/2 as thick as the digital for dummies)

jasher Sep 6th, 2005 12:27 PM

Hello,

I have an FZ20 myself - hope you're enjoying it!

I'm not very technically orientated (Phil can help with that bit of it) but in layman's terms: the numbers you see (2560x1920) represent the size of your picture in pixels. You can take smaller or larger pictures. The Fine/Standard represents how the data is stored -- data from pictures taken in Fine is not compressed as much as data from pictures taken in Standard. More compression = data loss = quality loss.

When you made your test prints, they were probably relatively small (4x6). You'll notice the difference in quality once you start making larger prints (8x10 and above). If you only plan to make small 4x6 prints, you should be fine with standard. If you think you might want to enlarge some of your pictures and hang them on your wall, you need to use the maximum size and Fine quality.

You'll definitely need more memory for your safari. On my first trip, I used about 512MB a day with a 4MP camera -- count on using at least that much. I spent about 15 min every night getting rid of redundant pictures.

There is a page in your manual which shows approximately how many pictures can fit on a given size of memory card. This can help you calculate how much memory you need. I can't remember where you're going, but if you're headed to somewhere where there isn't easy access to CD burning equipment (like Botswana) you'll either need a lot of memory or a PSD (portable storage device).

Hope this helps!

Cheers,
Julian

tigerpaw Sep 6th, 2005 06:49 PM

Matnik,
Thanks, I'll look for the dummie book. I need it!

Julian,
Thanks,your explanation helps. I appreciate the layman's terms! I know that Phil is gone on an OAT trip now, but might see what he has to say when he gets back.
Yes, just for general everyday use, I will probably only get 4 X 6 prints. But for special photos--such as on safari--will use the highest pixels and Fine quality. Is that what you used?
I have a couple of 512MB cards and will need to get additional storage. Still doing research on locations and seasons for travel to Africa and plan to go sometime in 2006.
Thanks again.

matnikstym Sep 6th, 2005 08:30 PM

you can change it also during use, so all pictures do not have to be the same pixels and quality. i'm sure i am not going to blow up all 1500+ pictures they say i will take so i'm planning on leaving mine set on fine quality medium compression to get the most pictures and to print 4 X 6's and its only 4 button pushes to change if i see something i know i want to enlarge. (hopefully the lion will wait...) im bringing 1-1gb card, 2-512 mb cards and 2-256 mb cards. 1/2 way through the trip i can download to cd and start all over.