Search

Great deal on Canon S2

Search this Thread

Old Apr 22nd, 2006, 08:38 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Great deal on Canon S2

Hi All,
FYI. Just saw this deal for the Canon S2. I'm not trying to push it, this to perhaps help anyone who is serioulsy considering buying it. Quote -
Dell Home has the Canon PowerShot S2 IS 5-MegaPixel 12x Optical Zoom Digital Camera for $399 - 20% off - $35 off $300 code QFTPZQCNBRH9TD [Exp 4/30] = $284 shipped. That is Dell computers web site, dell dot com
regards - tom
Old Apr 23rd, 2006, 07:04 AM

Thank you, Tom. What timing! I just ordered it from Amazon last evening.
I did check on Dell after I saw your post, however, and was going to cancel my Amazon order, but Dell's estimated shipping time is 6 weeks. That's too late for me, so I don't feel so bad about missing out on this great offer.
I also ordered the memory cards you suggested, and an int'l battery charger so I'll have a couple of weeks to practice.
BTW, are there any particular batteries that last longer between charges? And about how many shots do you get between charges? The last 7 days of my trip are on mobile safari and I'm told there won't be electrical outlets, so I'm trying to plan how many extra batteries to take along. Thanks.
Old Apr 23rd, 2006, 08:20 AM

That's a great deal Tom but for those of us that purchased it less than 7 months ago for $499, its a bummer. I love my S2 and now that I am taking photoshop lessons, it doubles the fun and amazing how creative you can get.
Old Apr 23rd, 2006, 10:57 AM
Original Poster

Sorry guys. I sorta knew that would happen, you already bought it for $200 more. Happens to me all the time.

panecott- You got it for $360, no tax, freee shipping, a good deal. CarlaM paid $140 more about 6 months ago. But y you know, that's how it is with all this type technology.
The batteries to use are the NiMH type. (NOT Nicad). Easy to find around here at a computer store. The more capacity the better, try to get 2500mah ones. Cost $2-$3 each. We got at least 500 photos per fresh set.
Ideally, you have one set in the camera, a spare set with you and one set in room charging, 3 sets total. I think 2 sets would work ok for you. A fresh set in camera and a spare set with you. When you get back to your tent after drive take the set out of the camera and put it in charger. When you get the new batteries be sure and charge them and use them. Once in a while (1 in 20) you will get a bad battery, won't hold much charge. Just that one bad ruins the whole set, makes it useless.

Now here's a minor problem with NiMH batteries. They don't have good "shelf life". After a month of setting they lose something like 25% of their charge. (and thereafter). Charging and using within a week is fine. Ok for 7 days without a charger.
Old Apr 23rd, 2006, 11:10 AM
Original Poster

oops- sorry - went to board before I finished and checked spelling.

ok 7 days without a charger, jimmy crickets. There are battery chargers that work off of a vehicle battery/cigar lighter. But you probably don't want to do that. My first thought is to take 3 sets of fully/fresh charged NiMH and 3 or 4 sets of the regular alkaline type. Although I don't know how many shots you can get from the alkaline. The advantage to taking alkalines is - they don't need charging, they hold a charge/shelf-life for months, and you can get them on sale for 50 cents each. Anyone else with a suggestion on this?

CarlaM- yes indeed PhotoShop is like magic. Great fun, only problem is knowing when to stop. It will be very useful when you get back with photos that need cropping some or taking distractions out of the backgrond, just for starters.

Somebody tell how they solved the long-time-no-charger problem.
regards - tom
Old Apr 23rd, 2006, 04:02 PM

I never had a battery problem and still not sure how long my rechargables will actually last as I recharged them every night. I took 2 sets and a set of lithiums as a double back up(never used them at all). My photo instructor highly advised not to let your batteries run out while photographing. As soon as you see the warning, replace them.
Old Apr 23rd, 2006, 07:06 PM
Original Poster

Yeah, CarlaM, lithium batteries, that's the ticket. I forgot about those. They give 7 times the photo pictures compared to alkaline (per Energizer site). Lithiums also have an exceptional self life, 15 years. So if you don't need'em now just save for next time. They also weigh 1/3 less than alkaline. But they cost about $2.50 each. Anyway, two sets of lithium would make good backup for those 7 days. (What's another $20, well worth the cost on a safari).
regards - tom
Old Apr 23rd, 2006, 09:28 PM

Hi

I have the Canon S1 camera and I have been very happy with it. You can see pictures taken with it on my homepage http://gardkarlsen.com . All the pictures taken from the NYC trip report until now has been taken with the S1. I love having a 10x zoom and on the S2 it is 12x

Regards
Gard
Stavanger, Norway
Old Apr 24th, 2006, 04:42 AM

Thanks, Tom and Carla.
Tom, I know I got a good deal on the S2 and can't complain. I think the price will continue to drop now that the S3 is out. B&H has it for $499. But I'm happy with what I've heard about the S2.

About the batteries, I'll get some lithiums. What's another $20 is right! The supplies for this trip are costing as much as a quick trip to Europe!

Carla, I got the impression that you recharge your batteries every day even before they run out?
Old Apr 24th, 2006, 02:54 PM
Original Poster

panecott - you WILL love the S2 on safari. Answering for CarlaM, yes every night that it is possible, take out the camera batteries and recharge. Unless, of course you only took 10 photos that day. Not very likely on a game drive.
Quick trip to europe indeed !!! Everytime I ponder spending $30 for another safari book or such I remember the $1,000 per night the safari costs, and then laugh at spending another $30
Since Africa, the ONLY travel I think about is going back to Africa. (Well, not exactly true, going to Yosemite for 4 days in May. But doesn't count, too close to home, 5 hours drive).
regards - tom
Old Apr 24th, 2006, 05:56 PM

Hi Tom,

Thanks for the tip on the Dell discount... ordered it just a few minutes ago. A couple of questions:

1) How did you find out about the coupon?

2) I looked at your pictures (very cool indeed) and I wonder how far were you from the animals? I have been playing with S2 IS at Best Buy and I could not get as good resolution as yours with the zoom. Is it the operator?

3) Best Buy will have a good discount on the S2 IS starting on Sunday and lasting through Mother's day. But nothing like the Dell deal. Since I am going to Botswana in July, I figured I can wait and learn all the functions of the Powershot 110 (my old camera) in the meantime.

I also take the opportunity to thank all those who post to the Africa Board. Wow, valuable information!

Susana

Old Apr 24th, 2006, 09:18 PM
Original Poster

Susanita25 - S2 coupon deal was on wwwdotbensbargainsdotnet.
Distances to critters-
The very first hippo photo- about 50 yards
The second photo of elephants in river - long ways, maybe 200 yards.
The fifth phot of five elephants - about 40 yards.
The lioness with tiny cub - about 30 yards.
The leopard in tree eating - about 10 yards.
Same leopard on ground in grass - very close, about 5 yards.

Your not getting sharp photos with S2 at Best Buy? How do you know? The camera LCD on back is hard to use to check sharpness. Better would be to take your own SD card to Best Buy, snap a few, take card home and view on your PC. ALSO, do NOT try to take photos by holding the camera out away from you and looking at the LCD screen on back. It is impossible to hold a camera steady that way. Put the camera to your forehead, press it against your face, steady, and use the tiny EVF. (Electronic View Finder). I know, I HATE the EVF with passion. That is why I'm getting a DSLR, mainly so I can have the big bright optical view. Just like the old time film SLRs. Anyway, again take your own SD card, take photos using perhaps 2 of Best Buys S2s. Take card home. If photos from both cameras are not sharp, -buzzzzt- operator error.
Also, many times Dell says can be 6 weeks but turns out to be 1-2 weeks, never know.
I may be repeating myself, but, the S2 is a great safari camera for the money.
regards - tom
Old Apr 27th, 2006, 09:44 AM

Just read this thread and checked out dell dot com. After a bit of research, I bought a Canon S2 from dell and paid $319 with free shipping (they have a 20% off deal right now). Estimated ship time was 6 weeks but it shipped the day after I bought it!
Thanks to all the posters for the info and advice!