Search

Help with anxiety over changing the dates of our proposed 2008 Tz/Rw/Ken safari

Search this Thread

Old Oct 22nd, 2007, 08:32 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help with anxiety over changing the dates of our proposed 2008 Tz/Rw/Ken safari

Hello all,

First off, I DO indeed realize that I am completely anal-retentive/obsessed with planing this trip and may indeed need to chill out a bit

I am at the excrutiating stage of being 10 days away from both husband and I getting to the critical 120,000 miles mark for our frequent flier miles (the minimum for business class which is the main goal).

We just bid our vacation time at work and took two weeks starting Sept. 23.
On the day we hit 120,000 miles, the day I'll be calling Delta to get seats, the departure date will have been open for booking for 4 days. I assume this based on the 331 day thing.

Now, I am starting to panic and wonder if we should quickly change our bid vacation time to a week later. (Our jobs are such that, pretty much once you bid, you're stuck with those dates, but we may be within the grace period to change.) That way when I reach 120K, I'll still have a few days before the seats open up.

If we changed the dates to a week later, it would mean we'd be in Africa October 1-16.

The proposed itinerary is:

1 night JRO
2 nights Tarangire
2 nights Ngorongoro
3 nights Rwanda (for 2 gorilla treks)
1 night NBO
2 nights Samburu
4 nights Masai Mara

I know it's only a week and I'm quite positive I'm a total loon for worrying so much about it, but does the time frame of Oct 1-16 sound OK for visiting the places in this itinerary?
But my very first idea was to be in Africa Sept 17- Oct 2. So, since I keep pushing it back, I wonder if I'm getting into a less desirable time frame.

We are, of course, hoping to see the migration in the Mara (tentatively staying at Sarova Mara, possibly Serena).
Also, I'm wondering about the conditions for gorilla trekking.

Thoughts, anyone?
Or better yet, opinions that I am indeed a total loon?

Old Oct 22nd, 2007, 08:50 AM

Would it save you some anxiety to buy the additional miles? Or have you looked into trading points for miles? ie. you can change hilton honors points to AA miles.
You do lose some miles in the conversion, but it might be worth it to put your mind at ease.
Old Oct 22nd, 2007, 09:01 AM
Original Poster

We are leaving on a short trip a week from today to visit relatives and when we return will will be over the mark.
So, I just can't make myself pay for miles when we'll have them a week from Thursday.
So, I just have to figure out if I want to gamble and keep the dates we have, or push the trip back.

Of course, I do know that FF seats can always change and to keep checking back. But it would be soooo nice to be able to get them as soon as they open up and have that out of the way!

I also should have mentioned that cheetahs (and all cats) are VERY high on the priority list!

When I look at the "Best Time to Go for Game Viewing" chart, September is listed as "excellent" for the Ngorongoro, Samburu and Rwanda and then October drops to "good".
Tarangire and Mara are still listed as "excellent" in October.
Old Oct 22nd, 2007, 10:44 AM

If I'm counting right, 331 days from Sep 23rd would fall on Oct 28th, right? If you're sure you'll have enough miles on Nov 1st, you could call on Oct 30th and have them put the outbound on a 2 day hold.

If you push the trip dates back and hope to see the migration, I would head to the Mara first rather than last. You might want to do that even if you stick with your current dates.

Good luck!
Old Oct 22nd, 2007, 10:53 AM
Original Poster

Hi Patty,
I called Delta this morning to ask how long they could hold the seats.
She told me that typically it's 48 hours, but for KLM flights they can only hold for 24 hours.

Having the Mara at the end was a "save the best for last" type of thing. But I will certainly give that some consideration.

Still haven't decided yet. Thanks, though.
Old Oct 22nd, 2007, 11:08 AM

Did the agent happen to mention when that change took place? The last time I put an award reservation that contained KL flights on a 2 day hold was on July 31st. I ticketed on Aug 2nd without any issues.
Old Oct 22nd, 2007, 12:27 PM

I'd keep your dates. There is no guarantee 331 days, so 327 would be far enough in advance for me. I think the timing is better too with your first dates.

Old Oct 22nd, 2007, 12:45 PM
Original Poster

Patty,
I wasn't aware that it was a change, so I never inquired about when that happened.
But I have found that many times you call and speak with one agent who gives you certain information, then you call back and you speak with someone else who may tell you something totally different.
As for your suggestion...wouldn't I have to have the miles on my balance before I even call?
We won't have all the miles til the return leg of our trip, Nov 1.

atravelynn,
Thanks for your advice.
As the hours go by (and my wheels keep spinning) I am leaning towards just leaving the dates the way they are.
The only other time we used miles for business class overseas, we booked 4 months out, so it sure does seem like 327 days would be good enough.

So I'm tempted to just stay with my first instinct...I'll be crossing fingers and toes
Old Oct 22nd, 2007, 01:01 PM

While October is still good in the Mara, and I'm strong believer of "save the best for last" I'm with Patty about switching the Mara to the beginning.

The Gorillas of Rwanda can serve "best for last" purpose.

Consider:
Samburu 2
Masai Mara 3
Tarangire 2
Ngorongoro 2
Rwanda 3 *

There's a flight from JRO to Kigali on Rwandair (not daily though so check flight schedules), arriving late afternoon, at reasonable price. There's a more expensive option on Coastal from the Serengeti to Kigali arriving late afternoon. Then return via NBO to head home.

If this works, you may want to consider not staying the 2nd nt at Ngorongoro, instead doing a very early crater visit (6am for 2/hrs... this assumes you'll have the afternoon prior with 6/hrs on the crater floor) then haul back to Arusha for the Rwandair flight, or into the Serengeti to one of the airstrips from where you can fly to Kigali.

Just suggestions and options.

Old Oct 22nd, 2007, 01:22 PM

You can put an award reservation on hold without having the necessary miles at the time. I rarely have the miles in my account when I call. I generally have to transfer some from elsewhere to top off my account (usually Amex) and wouldn't want to transfer before I've confirmed availability. I take it you're flying Delta metal next week?
Old Oct 22nd, 2007, 02:05 PM

I think we'll be gorilla trekking at the same time! Our first trek is Sept 28; second Sept 29. We've been told this is a great time, as it's at the end of the dry season and views may be better.
I too have been obsessing about getting business class tickets - we're flying Delta from Atlanta to JNB (with a stop in Dakar). We transferred AMEX points the day before I booked the flight over (it was maybe 320 or so days in advance); got two seats 4 days earlier than we had planned and waitlisted for the day we wanted - then a week or so later the waitlisted date opened up. For the return, however, I am going to wait till midnight on the 331 days in advance date and then call. (What Delta does if it's one of their own flights is to transfer all the points, so we are now ticketed, just without a return date.)
Let us know how you make out! and maybe we'll meet in Rwanda.
Old Oct 22nd, 2007, 02:06 PM
Original Poster

Patty,
Hmmmm...that's very good to know!
If I can do that, that would help buy me some time.
I'm starting to feel a bit better about this.
And, yes, we're flying Delta next week to see my husband's 94 year old grandmother (gotta love her!)

So, now you and Sandi have my wheels going into overdrive with your suggestion to switch the Mara to the beginning.
As it stands, we'd be in the Mara Oct 5-8. If I changed it, we'd be there Sept 25-28. Do you really feel like it will make our game viewing THAT much different?

Also, I'm afraid of the "let down" factor by going to Tarangire last.
And I liked having Rwanda in the middle to break up all the game drives, do something a little different, get some exercise, etc.

I'm reluctant to change up the entire itinerary at this point. Not to mention that I'm afraid I may be pushing my luck with my TA, as I'm probably making her crazy as it is with all my questions/changes, etc. I know that's her job, but I do feel like you can only ask her to do so much work, after all, I'm not her only client.

Do you all really think it's imperative that I change it??
I completely trust the advice here on this forum!
Old Oct 23rd, 2007, 06:23 AM

We only suggested doing the Mara first if you were going to push the trip back, starting 1st Oct, rather than earlier in Sept. If sticking with the original Sept dates, then no reason to change.
Old Oct 23rd, 2007, 09:36 AM

I don't think it's imperative that you switch the order of your trip if you stick with your current dates. I just remembered something else. Since your Europe to Africa flight won't be until Sep 24th, you won't actually be able to book that flight until Oct 29th at the earliest anyway.
Old Oct 23rd, 2007, 10:05 AM

We are booked on Delta for next June in business class. We booked the departure date 330 days out, and they held the itinerary for us until we were able to book the return 330 days out from the return date. then we ticketed the whole reservation. You don't need the miles til you ticket.
Old Oct 23rd, 2007, 10:29 AM

I didn't have any luck getting them to hold the outbound until my return dates were within 331 days (but I've only done the 331 day thing once). You can try that first. If that doesn't work, have them note that you'll be calling back to add the return at which time the $75 per ticket reissue fee is waived.
Old Oct 23rd, 2007, 10:30 AM

Luv2globetrot,

Of all your worries, don't be worried about your travel agent. You are booking an expensive trip with her and your requests are not unreasonable.

You can give her a nice plug post trip too.
Old Oct 23rd, 2007, 01:21 PM

It looks like you have to make a choice -- which is more important to you: Having the dates you want or saving some money? Make it and move on to something else to be obsessed about. (That's said with a warm smile) This trip will give you man other things to worry about.

And have fun!
Old Oct 23rd, 2007, 01:25 PM
Original Poster

aowens,
I like that idea. I'm going to give that a try. Thanks

And Patty,
When I called Delta just to get some info, the agent did tell me that they'd make note of me calling back to book the return and they'd waive the $75 fee. So, we'll see what happens.
So, the plan is to just stick with departure on 9/23/08...and then hope that the FF tickets cooperate

Thanks again atravelynn for the moral support
Old Oct 23rd, 2007, 03:39 PM

That's nice Delta will hold the return flight. In my limited ff mile usage experience, holding the return flight is not common. As a result, the outgoing flight is booked when the time limits allow the return flight. I see that's what Patty mentioned.

If you do change the dates, I would suggest putting Kenya first, as the others have. But does that mean you must do Tarangire last? How about Tarangire and then the Crater when you get to Tanzania. That is the order I have done it both times. Ending with the Ngorongoro Crater, a World Heritage Site, is a high note.

If you decide against getting the miles for Africa, you'll have them for other trips. Or is the upgrade to business for added comfort on a couple of long flights an important goal?

Good luck!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -