Help with Africa homesick blues

Nov 26th, 2007, 06:12 PM
Original Poster

Help with Africa homesick blues

Its been three weeks since I returned from such a great trip to Southern Africa. The people, wildlife and experiences were like none other. Many of you know what I mean. And those of you going, beware, you probably will catch the same sickness as the rest of us.

You were all so helpful before I left, thank you for the packing advice, camera suggestions and Napamatt-the drink advice at Mala Mala Rattrays.

Now, what advice do you have to get over this terrible Africa disease. Only positive answers need apply.

Scoter-the elephant safari was really great, and because of that chance meeting with Gerald, we are raising money through two Rotary groups to get his niece to the states on a Rotary student exchange.

The lion cubs at Mala Mala were all safe and sound, and viewed everyday of my trip. What a treat to see the lost cub return, a little worse for the wear, but alive and playing hard.

Mombo Camp has a new set of lion cubs with more on the way with one pride. Two hours of smiling so hard I thought my face would break will be forever in my mind.

The Africam is helping, at least for the sounds and animal viewing, and Planet Earth last night was a reprieve.

If I could leave tomorrow, I would go baggage class. I look forward to your many answers.

Nov 26th, 2007, 06:27 PM

Welcome back.

I feel your pain.

This forum helps.

Do a detailed trip report if that sort of thing appeals to you. You get to go back as you work on completing it. Plus what you did and learned can help others.

Post your pictures. You can label them or not.

That's good the cams work for you. I won't look at them because I'll become addicted to them too. It's why there is rarely ice cream in my house.

Can you work on planning a return trip, even if it is a few years off?

We could all form a support group.
Nov 26th, 2007, 06:37 PM

My wife and I were talking last night how we must go back...we have just started building a new garage and we hesitated for a moment considering how much of Africa we could see with the money we are spending on the new garage, but it is an investment.  I would spend 3-4 days at Mashatu and then head to the Okavango, then go to Victoria Falls.   I actually checked to see if there were any international opportunities within the company I work for.  There are several plants in South Africa.  Who knows...but I do know I will return.
Nov 26th, 2007, 07:05 PM
Original Poster

I think the support group idea is a good one, as is the return trip and the trip report. I wrote in a journal everyday, and am swapping emails with several of the camp managers who befriended me. Nice way of keeping track of my favorite animals.

This should interesting what other comments show up.

Nov 26th, 2007, 07:10 PM

Hi ShellCat

Keep up with MalaMala's animals on their cyberdiary - it fills a small gap - otherwise, for me, it is in the planning of the next trip or two!

Kind regards

Kaye
Nov 26th, 2007, 09:25 PM
Original Poster

I just did that prior to leaving you the other message! It is by far the best website, especially when you have been there with close to the heart memories. Have a great Christmas trip!
Nov 26th, 2007, 11:06 PM

Welcome to the fold. Like a lot of us, you will spend a lot of your time day-dreaming about the bush, wishing you were there.
Nov 27th, 2007, 02:52 AM

For me the best "cure" is planning another trip. Even if it's years away!
Other than the friend who I traveled with to Botswana on my last trip, there is no one in my "real" life who understands this affliction. So I consider this forum my support group. Welcome to the "club!"
Dec 4th, 2007, 10:41 AM
brw

ShellCat,

Add me to the list of those infected. We were at Mala Mala Rattrays in July and I'm hooked. I feed my addiction (and that's what it is) with forums like this, my pictures and those posted by others - I love KayeN's and look forward to hearing about her upcoming trip - and keeping up with Mala Mala's wonderful cyberdiary. Not to mention planning when I can return.

Bob
Dec 4th, 2007, 04:39 PM

Thank-you very much Bob for your kind words. Less than 2 weeks to go before I head off to MalaMala and as usual I am beside myself with excitement! To say it is an addiction, is probably too mild a term! Everyday I am saying to friends and/or family - that we would just have come home from a gamedrive or just going to head out for a gamedrive - what have we seen or what will we being seeing in 2 weeks time!

Between visits does seem so long, and the one thing that really helps me is the wonderful cyberdiary and thinking how lucky the people there at that time were to see the things that they saw, as I do not believe a lot of guests realize how lucky they are with the sightings they have!

Bob, when do you hope to return? Soon I hope!

Kind regards

Kaye
Dec 4th, 2007, 05:37 PM

Hi ShellCat:

Sorry to say I've never encountered a cure. Here are some things that help me:

Hang out at either of these waterholes (live streaming webcam). Enjoy the sounds, animal behavior and incredible sunrises and sunsets. Truly addictive.

http://www9.nationalgeographic.com/ngm/wildcamafrica

www.africam.com

Add a few new books to your library; a wonderful way to increase your knowledge and pleasure between safaris.

Consider getting involved with a philanthropic project; giving back makes me feel good. There are many to pick from. A small amount of money can provide significant changes in the lives of others.
Dec 4th, 2007, 06:16 PM

Shellcat,

I hear you. You are not alone. Life is never the same once you are bitten by the Africa bug. I went to Kenya/Tanzania in May 2007 and have almost all my leisure hours on youtube, this forum or watching my nature video collection. I would go back in a heartbeat if I could.
Dec 5th, 2007, 03:16 AM

Hello, I got the sickness back in 1991, didn't go back till 95, then 2000 (the year I met my now husband), then again in 2004 for our wedding on the beach in Zanzibar. In 2006 we found a solution to the sickness, we threw in our corporate jobs and high salaries, sold our house to get rid of the mortgage, sold our car, stored our possessions and got a job managing a tented camp for a year. It was wonderful we lived in a National Park in a tent, waking up to and going to sleep to animal sights and sounds for 10 months and saw things you may never see on Safari. An experience we will never forget. We have yet to go back to our old life - maybe never will.
Dec 5th, 2007, 06:29 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the great stories. Especially the suggstion about giving back. That is already how I live my normal life, so with a chance meeting with a fellow Rotarian in Zamibia whose niece in Zimbabwe has been approved for a youth exchange to the States (which was not possible due to the cost)two of us committed to making her dream happen. A Seattle club member and myself are determined to raise the money to get her here.

We will give an update to her story later.....

KayeN-I am counting down the days with you, please say hi to Nils.

Dec 5th, 2007, 07:29 AM

Bwino,

It's scary; have you been reading my thoughts? :=). Let me know if you could use some help. Some facts about me: I make good coffee, eat very little (a good slave) and for the right job will work for food.
Dec 5th, 2007, 11:25 AM

I think Bwino is the only one who knows the cure. Bwino, how did you get that kind of job???

Bearable, there’re millions of people like you in Africa.
Dec 6th, 2007, 04:15 AM

Hi ShellCat

Will be happy to pass on your hello to Nils, will he know who ShellCat is?

I am also counting the days and having just looked at the new cyberdiary - it just makes me want to be there now!

Kind regards

Kaye
Dec 6th, 2007, 04:25 AM
Original Poster

KayeN-

Its 5:00 a.m. here and I just finished looking at the updated Mala Mala cyberdiary as well. Great wild dog photos, I did not see any, although we searched for most of a day. I hope you do, and what a great report with all the cubs looking healthy. It is amazing how big they have gotten since October. Feeding well helps.

My name is Shelly, live in Bend and ski.

Counting down the days with you.

Dec 7th, 2007, 05:45 AM

Hi ShellCat,

Thank you for your info, I am sure I shall run into Nils at MalaMala and I shall say Hi on your behalf.

I am from Brisbane in Australia, so now it is 12.45am (hadn't realised it was so late!) Saturday 8 December - so tommorrow pm I shall be gameviewing, which makes me think of what I may be seeing for that gamedrive!

Kind regards

Kaye
Dec 7th, 2007, 05:58 AM

Hi Kaye,

You leaving today? Bon voyage!!! Enjoy the gameviewing and i lookforward to meeting you and your neice early next month.

Rgds,
Hari

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO