Sheldrick Sanctuary/Giraffe Center/Blixen Museum

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 13th, 2005, 10:00 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi- we got a very expensive quote from our travel agent (over 200 each) for two of us to hire a driver and see these sights in Nairobi. What do each of these venues cost and does anyone have an idea how much it would cost for a driver to take us to all these places?

Thanks,

Karmagal
Old Jun 13th, 2005, 10:06 AM

I am by no means an expert, but that seems quite high. Who is your travel agent? We ended up doing all that stuff , plus lunch at Carnivore and a night out at a dancehall (we paid for our food and drinks separately), with the guy who picked us up at the airport. I think we paid him $120 or so for the both of us, including tip, and we gave a very big tip.

I know other people have mentioned having a taxi driver take you. Admission to these places is pretty low, if memory serves me correctly. I'm sure others who have been more recently can advise you further.

Old Jun 13th, 2005, 10:06 AM
sandi

Who is your travel agent or tour operator? Wow, those prices are way out of range.

On average a half day in NBO with stops at Sheldrik, Giraffe and Blixen runs about $50 +/- person.

If a full day, naturally double that number; if adding lunch and/or dinner at The Carnivore, add some more for the meals. But if only those three stops, look elsewhere!

Old Jun 13th, 2005, 10:41 AM

That figure is quite high. Who are you booking this through? Our tour operator charged $55pp to visit the same 3 places including admission. It ended up being a full day for us as we stopped for lunch and a few other places to shop.

I was advised by Hilton staff that a taxi hire was approx. $50 per day to see the sights around Nairobi. In this case, you would pay your admission separately which if I recall correctly in Feb were -

Sheldrick Orphanage - free but donation suggested
Blixen Museum - 200 KES per person
Giraffe Centre - 500 KES per person
Old Jun 13th, 2005, 11:08 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone! I have had my suspicions confirmed. I was thinking it was just possible that these activities would cost that much since everything around a safari seems so expensive! I don't want to mention the agent until I talk to them about it just in case it was just a misunderstanding. I really appreciate this forum and all the knowledge and experience you have.

Karmagal
Old Jun 13th, 2005, 11:09 AM

Definately a high price we did a half day thing that came to about US$70 for 2 of us. We did not arrange it until we got there and the local operator met us in Nairobi inbetween a Tanzania & Kenya trip and we asked about what we could do to fill in our last day when we got back to Nairobi before our evening flight. If we had booked it before leaving home it would have been about US$60 per person but in credit to our agent here he told us just to wait and organize it with the ground operator when we got there.

Happy & safe travels

J
Old Jun 13th, 2005, 12:45 PM

I just checked the tour operator we used for our Kenya safari, 2afrika, and at this time it's listed as approx $65.00 pp for Giraffe Center, lunch and Blixen museum. We lucked out and got it all for free, along with complimentary lunch at carnivore, courtesy of 2afrika! Long story, but it had to do with a mix up on departure times.. luckiest mix up I've ever experienced! We were very glad to have been able to visit,particularly the giraffe sanctuary. Have a nice trip.