Help: What to wear, Oct, Kenya & Tanzania

Sep 7th, 2005, 06:24 AM
Original Poster

Help: What to wear, Oct, Kenya & Tanzania

We are going with GAP "Serengeti and Masai Mara Experience" in early Oct. It is a participation camping.

http://www.gapadventures.com/tour/dsm

1. Do we need shorts? Will Jeans do fine or do we need nylon/water-proof pants?

2. Do we need short-sleeves? We learned from the board that there will be a lot of mosquitos. So maybe we should stay with long sleeves all the time?

3. Do we need hiking boots? Or sneakers will do fine? How about sandals?

4. What temperature rating do I need for my sleeping bag?

Thanks!
Sep 7th, 2005, 08:47 AM

Cheerful,

I'm afraid I can't speak to most of your questions (again!), but I would like to suggest T-shirts under a long-sleeved top. You can take the long-sleeve off when it gets hot in the afternoon, but it will keep you warmer in the a.m. and p.m., and will help to keep the mosquitoes off.

I took high-top Converse because that's what I had that could get ruined and not care. Also took some rubber flip-flops, and some "nicer" leather/semi-girly ones. Are you really hiking? That's the only time I'd bring hiking boots b/c they're heavy.

I didn't bring jeans, although I live in jeans at home. Brought cotton pants. No shorts--I don't really wear shorts anyway. I did bring a couple of lightweight below-the-knee cotton skirts. Again, I tend to wear these in lieu of shorts in warm weather; that's just me.

Have a wonderful trip!
Sep 7th, 2005, 09:07 AM

Jeans are heavy and I think too hot for daytime wear. I'd bring a combination of light weight cotton or nylon pants and shorts. Same with shirts, a combination of short and long sleeve. You'll want to bring clothes that will allow you to transition between hot daytime temps and cooler evening/early morning temps.

We saw hardly any mosquitos in Jan/Feb (perhaps they're more of an issue in the rainy season but you're not traveling in the rainy season either). Insects in general were much less of a problem than I'd expected.

Unless you plan to do some real hiking, any type of comfortable walking shoes or sneakers will be fine. I'd also bring a pair of sandals.

Don't know about sleeping bags, sorry!
Sep 7th, 2005, 11:51 AM
sandi

cheerful -

Unless you'll be hiking, leave the boots home. Sneakers should be fine, but have those you can toss into water if they get muddy (leather works best) and dries quickly. Have a back-up pair, if need be. Some people like the Teva-type sandles, but watch those toes if doing work around camp - setting up, rocks, dirt, fires, etc. These work fine for "walks."

The hot temps come in Jan - Mar, so you don't really need shorts - daytime temps will be in mid-/hi-70s. An alternative is the convertible pants that unzip right above the knee to become shorts. If you don't have these or want to buy a pair, then pack 1-pr of shorts.

Short sleeve and long sleeve t-s are fine and good for layering which you'll need for the cool mornings and evenings. Or pack a thermal t-shirt.

Can't remember seeing a mossie on any of our safaris, but you should have repellent regardless and apply especially during dusk-dawn when they bite, if they're going to. Apply on exposed skin, not on face and wash off before retiring. Spray your tent before going to sleep (leave tent while it settles don't let it fall on you or breathe it in) and sleep under nets if provided.

If you're a magnet for biting things during the day - use repellent. Otherwise, I've never run into mosquito problems. Sometimes there are pockets of tsetse flies, but repellents don't always work for them. It's their bite that hurts - no worry about sleeping sickness.

Can't comment re sleeping bags. Evening/night/morning temps rarely drop below 50-degrees if that helps.

Search this Thread