Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Africa & the Middle East
Reload this Page > HELP!!! What is the cost of car/driver/ tour from one point to another in Morocco?

HELP!!! What is the cost of car/driver/ tour from one point to another in Morocco?

May 16th, 2000, 01:14 PM
MK

HELP!!! What is the cost of car/driver/ tour from one point to another in Morocco?

My husband and I are going to Morocco next week. We were advised to stay away from the private tours because they are way too expensive. I was also told that I would be able to arrange a car with English-speaking driver and a tour guide to go from one city to another for about $150 for each trip. We plan to go from Casabalnca-Rabat-Fes-Erfoud-Ourzazate-Marrakech. Since we have very limited time (9 days) we want to be on the move and see a lot, but at our own pace. Renting a car with driver for the whole trip seems to run about $2000 for the week. By going from point to point we are (supposedly) going to spend no more than $150 x 5 = $750. Can anyone confirm this? Also, does anyone know if it is easy to setup the excusrion to the sand dunes in 4x4 /camel ? If so, how much should I spend?
Lastly, we are spending our nts in the following order: Rabat-1 , Fes-2, Erfoud-1, Ourzazate-2, Marrakech-3.
Any opinions on this itinerary?
Thanks for all the help in sdvance.

May 16th, 2000, 02:46 PM
elvira

For the Sahara camel trek, we used
http://www.imilchil-travel.com/ and
arranged it all before we left. Ask them about hiring a driver/guide for between-city transportation. They arranged for our guide in Marrakesh, then the car/drivers from Marrakesh to Ourzazate to the Sahara.

In Tangier, we hired a grand taxi to take us to Chefchouan and pick us up the next day. There were 3 of us, and I think we paid the driver $40 each way (so it was $13 each); we took the train from Rabat to Fez to Meknes to Tangier and then to Marrakesh. In Meknes we hired a grand taxi to take us to Volubilis; we were overcharged but it was my fault for not clarifying the cost.

Our camel trek was $600 each, which included transportation from Marrakesh to Ourzazate, the hotel in Ourzazate (for the two nights, one from, one to), the transportation over the Atlas Mountains (to and from), an overnight stay with a Berber family in the Atlas, the camels and guides, and all the meals.

It was two years ago, so prices may have changed.

I think Ourzazate warrants one day, not two.

Oct 31st, 2000, 09:13 PM
comicman

oh my gawd did you over pay for your trek. http://www.imilchil-travel.com/ must have saw rich american on you.

we payed 100.00 each for almost the same trip as you did leaving from Marrakesh
i aranged at hotel faculd, i was told hotel ali has the same trip.
it was wonderful, we had to pay our own hotel bills at O, but that did not abount to more then 50 for 2 nights.
and we spent 4 in the desert and a lovely beber vilage. it was wonderful.
and as to drivers , i was able to get a car with driver for 60.0o usd a day.

Search this Thread