Dec trip - group safari

Old Oct 30th, 2011, 03:13 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dec trip - group safari

Hi,

I'm traveling with a friend to Tanzania soon and we're doing a short safari (3 days) to tarangire or manyara, serengeti and ngorongoro around December 12. We already booked with pretty reliable/professional tour operator, and we're just hoping to get more people on board (2 or more) to reduce the cost.

Let me know if any of you is interested!
We're pretty flexible with the dates, but to hope to keep the safari before dec 18, as we'll be heading to Zanzibar.

[email protected]
Old Oct 31st, 2011, 07:22 AM

As my comment on Trip Advisor, with only 3/days and being on budget, considering it'll take 1/full day to get to/from Arusha/Serengeti, better to only concentrate on Tarangire or Manyara and Ngorongoro.
Old Nov 1st, 2011, 12:18 AM
Original Poster

nice. thanks for the advice. Think I will discuss more with my tour operator, they're pretty good & flexible with their itinerary, so that's a plus.
Old Nov 3rd, 2011, 09:13 AM
Original Poster

Sandi,
think I might be adding a day in my itinerary to include Serengeti. now i'm debating whether to take off Tarangire or Manyara. based on your experience, which park would you choose - for a December safari?
Old Nov 3rd, 2011, 12:57 PM

Even 4/days is very tight for a stop in Serengeti, which wouldn't be more than 1/full-day. Besides, you can see the same and even more game with a visit to Manyara or Tarangire and Ngorongoro.

In Dec you would want to be in the Southeast Serengeti or Ndutu area of the NCA, and if it's this Dec, space may already be an issue... lots has been booked for months.

Assume:

Day 1 - depart 8am, straight-on drive on tarmac road to Ngorongoro (4.5/hrs), continue to Ndutu or SESerengeti, 2.5-3/hrs. Bear in mind once passing Ngorongoro the road disappears and is dirt/gravel/mud... so can enjoy game drive to lodging where you'd likely arrive by dusk - o/n
Day 2 - Serengeti - o/n
Day 3 - Drive on dirt/gravel to Ngorongoro (can take 4+/hrs) and unlikely be able to get in crater floor tour, so would - o/n
Day 4 - Ngo - morning crater tour (limited to 6/hrs), by 12N drive to Manyara (2.5/hrs) or Tarangire (3.5/hrs) having game drive at either park, to your lodging - o/n
Day 5 - Game drive at Manyara or Tarangire; then drive to Arusha (2-2.5/hrs) - end

Personally, I feel Tarangire is the best hidden gem park.
Old Nov 3rd, 2011, 02:48 PM
Original Poster

Thanks - Sandi. kind of impressed by your detailed response/knowledge on the parks - how many times have you been on a Tanzanian safari?

Based on your response, I think Tarangire probably offers more attraction? I did some research, and Lake Manyara seems like just a great spot for birdwatching, which doesn't really interest me that much.

Your proposed itinerary seems pretty awesome, I'll be forwarding this to our tour operator (Safari Infinity).
Old Nov 3rd, 2011, 06:06 PM

I also love Tarangire, so for a short safari, that's your best bet. You mentioned going to Zanzibar... personally, I'd opt for more safari days and forget the beach time.

Sandi is a well respected safari planner in NYC (Africa Serendipity). I've used her services and and can assure you that she "knows her stuff" when it comes to East Africa.