Reload this Page >

Things to do in Johannesburg?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 17th, 2001, 06:54 AM
Jessica

Hello there,<BR>I am planning a trip to Johannesburg in the end of December tis year. I have never been in South africa before and I would be really grateful for some advice. I will be staying in an area called Randburg. <BR>what is the night life like? Is it expensive to eat out? is it very dangerous to walk at nights? <BR>Neither me or my friend have a drivers licence but we would love to go for a short break to Cape Town. What is the best way to get there? <BR>Any information would be useful,<BR>Thank you,<BR>Jessie<BR><BR><BR><BR><BR>

Old Nov 18th, 2001, 09:10 AM
van

The best thing to do in J'burg is to leave town as fast as you can!<BR>Get a flight to CPT - it's only a couple of hours and the lifestyle is completely different - much more relaxed etc.

Old Nov 18th, 2001, 10:19 AM
Jasper

Randburg is a very "upmarket" area of the greater Johannesburg. It is an active city with lots of clubs, restaurants, cinemas, etc. Like any other city in the world, it's not wise to walk alone in the dark and avoid isolated places. The best will be to visit places like Cresta Center, North Gate, Sandton City, etc. These are big shopping Malls with lots of entertainment. If you don't have your own transport, make use of the private taxis (you'll find the telephone numbers in the telephone directory) but don't use the "mini bus taxis" you might end up in Soweto!<BR><BR>The prices of eating out depends on the restaurant you visit. Prices in comparisson are very competative. A Mac Donalds meal will cost you appr. US$ 2 and a nice meal in a steak house appr. US$ 4 - 10.<BR><BR>There are only two ways to get to Cape town - namely by air or luxury bus. In my opinion the best will be to fly from Joh'burg to CT. The cost of a return flight on SAA is less than US$ 100 per person. You can make your reservation via the Internet<BR><BR>Please contact me if you need any more info - I'm living near Joh'burg and have a good knowledge of Southern Africa and will gladly help you to enjoy your visit to our beautiful country. My E-Mail: [email protected]

Old Nov 19th, 2001, 08:26 AM
Celia

On one of our last trips to Jo'burg we went to Gold Reef City. Although it's very touristy, we really had a good time, going down in a gold mine, and seeing some really good mine dancing and other traditional dancing.

Old Nov 19th, 2001, 12:28 PM
Jcameron

We're scheduled to overnight at the Grace Hotel next September ... anyone know this one? And we have a few hours in JBN before flying back to the US ... can anyone suggest a person who gives a private 2-hour tour and provides transportation? I'd like to contact them in advance and make arrangements. Thanks.

Old Nov 20th, 2001, 03:20 PM
Lisa

Jhb in Dec is very quiet as almost everybody heads for the coast. In order to see the best that SA has to offer, I would really recommend going to other places besides Jhb. Once you are going all the way there, it is a pity not to see more. There are such beautiful and interesting parts. The only thing to remember is that the vacation spots like Cape Town will be crowded and more expensive, but with the current exchange rate, that should not be too much of a problem.

Old Nov 27th, 2001, 08:06 AM
Leslie

Hi. I lived in Jo'berg for 7 months and would definitely recommend going to the Lion Park, a sort of cheesy touristy deal close to Pilanesburg. You can actually hold baby cubs - something that few places would allow these days! You will need, however, to get a car/driver as this is about 1.5 hours away.

Old Nov 29th, 2001, 11:35 AM
Celia

I just realized (after my husband pointed it out to me!) that you'll be close to the Randburg Waterfront. It's an area of lots of good restaurants, arcade games, and shops. There are often sound & light shows there too.