Help - Tour Company/Victoria Falls

Mar 6th, 2006, 03:35 PM
Original Poster

Help - Tour Company/Victoria Falls

Has anyone traveled to Africa with Go2Africa? We are thinking of planning a trip to Singita safari and Cape Town early September. Is it worth the effort and expense to go to Victoria Falls from Johannesburg before going South to Singita? Do you recommend the Elephant rides. It seems like this might be just commercial center for tourists. Are the Falls spectacular in September?
Mar 6th, 2006, 05:20 PM

Hello,

Whether it's worth it to go to Vic Falls is a very personal decision. Some people love seeing the falls and spending time there, and others find them worth a glance and want to move on.

Do you plan to just see the falls, or do you plan to stay a few days and participate in some of the adrenalin activities, like bungee jumping and rafting? If you plan to stay a few days, it's probably worth it. I'm not sure the transportation cost is worth it if you just want to spend a day there.

Personally, I wouldn't combine Vic Falls with South Africa, though others have done -- it's a lot of money spent on transportation. Vic Falls makes a more natural combination with Botswana or Zambia, and you won't incur a lot of extra transportation costs. On the other hand, if you won't be back to Africa for a long time and you really, really want to see Vic Falls -- go for it.

Cheers,
Julian
Mar 6th, 2006, 07:28 PM
santharamhari

I agree with Julian. Vic falls, is better combined with Botswana, zambia or if you are adventurous enough to visit Zim. Personally, i would combine adrenaline activities like White water rafting. The rapids and the rafting experience is the best i have participated in! My only other experiences are in Alaska and in the Himalayas........the falls itself, may not be as spectacular in september.....as the rains have probably stopped in March....the falls are probably at their peak between January-June, maybe July.

Hari

Mar 7th, 2006, 06:29 AM

First of all, I have traveled with go2africa and I HIGHLY recommend them. Rikke did a great job of planning our trip with us and everything went off without a hitch. Now, as to going to Vic Falls, I guess you need to decide whether or not you are likely to get back to Africa again. Vic Falls is an amazing natural phenomenon (it ends up on every top ten list I have ever seen)and I wouldn't have missed it for the world. That being said, we also did Botswana in addition to South Africa, so it was pretty much on our way. I don't know exactly what they will be like in September. We were there in June and they were definitely spectacular. I have read that they are amazing at any time of the year and I tend to believe that. The elephant safari that we did while we were there was definitely worth it. It is commercial, but you also learn alot about elephants that you might not otherwise know. And riding on the back of one is pretty impressive and memorable. We didn't book the elephant ride ahead of time. It was something we decided to do when we got there. If you do decide to go to Vic Falls, I recommend staying at Ilala Lodge and I also recommend doing a helicopter ride over the falls. That's really the best way to get the full sense of them. Then walking along them takes on a different perspective. When you walk next to the falls, bring some kind of waterproof jacket. We didn't and got soaked! At least it was fairly warm that day. Enjoy!

Search this Thread