Help-South Africa-only 8 days

Apr 30th, 2002, 12:55 PM
B

Help-South Africa-only 8 days

I have a trip to South Africa planned for the end of July. Arriving/Departing J-burg. Visiting friends in Durban (for as many days as I can). Am interested in the following: Cape Town (winery, CT sites, Cape Point, 2 day safari (anywhere to see Big 5), Sun City, and Victoria Falls (1 day). Looking for advice on how to plan the trip and what to see/leave out. Would be willing to drive or fly.

May 1st, 2002, 03:06 AM
Lisa

Wow! You'll never be able to do it all. We have 2 weeks and are doing only Vic Falls, Safari, Cape Town and 1 night Jo'burg. Otherwise you will land up seeing pretty much Jo'burg airport and not much else.

You can fly in and fly straight on to Durban or Cape Town. That is no problem. Depending on where you are coming from, you could probably fly straight to Cape Town.

You will need to prioritize and decide which you really want to see and cut out what is of lesser importance.

With this short of a stay, I would cut out Sun City. Flying between Jhb, Cape Town and Durban, you can do early morning or late night flights so that you don't lose a full day traveling.
Remember that to go to Vic falls there is only usually one flight per day and perhaps 2 on weekends. Try also flights between Jhb and livingstone, Zambia.
So if you did 1 night Vic Falls, 2 nights, Safari, 2 nights, Cape Town, 2 nights Durban. That is a very rushed trip.

May 1st, 2002, 07:15 PM
Rocco

I must agree that eight days is far too short to spend in South Africa and Victoria Falls. I spent eight days ALONE in Cape Town, along with four nights in Victoria Falls (one night against my will), one night in Joburg and two nights at Singita.
If I had to do it all over again, I would have spent six consecutive nights in Cape Town (instead of two separate four night stints which is just the way it worked out as I bought the trip on an auction website). Besides Cape Town, I would have spent three nights at Singita instead of two. I would have probably skipped Victoria Falls entirely...one of the most beautiful sights in the world, but just not a very stable country. I got stuck there an extra night and that ultimately forced me to cancel a two night stay in the Cape Winelands. I would also have skipped Joburg. So, six nights in Cape Town, three nights on safari, preferably at Singita or Royal Malewane and then maybe five or six nights driving the Garden Route, possibly from Cape Town to Port Elizabeth.

Search this Thread