Help! Should we cancel the trip???

Jan 13th, 2007, 03:44 PM
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 13
Help! Should we cancel the trip???

We are supposed to be in Kenya in one week. I am concerned that the roads will be impassable. I saw the post about Lewa--we're supposed to be there for a few days. I checked weather.com and it seems that it will be raining almost every day for the next 10 days.

If the roads are passable, is it even worth going? Will the wildlife "hide" due to all the rainfall? It would seem like such a waste to spend so much money and then have to sit in a tent during the entire vacation.

If anyone has experience with rainy safaris, please give us some advice.
Amunah is offline  
Jan 13th, 2007, 04:28 PM
  #2  
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 26
When I was in Kenya May 06 - during the rainy season, it rained everyday, generally only late in the afternoon for an hour or so. We continued our game drives and saw many animals. Of course, it wasn't as conveniet as if it were not raining, but it stopped while we were out, most days. And while we got stuck several times during that trip, I would not have traded the experience. It was the time I saw four lions sleeping atop an acacia tree, one of the most precious, but unusual sightings everyone had soon. And this, during the rainy season. We saw plenty of animals, Of course I was not in Lewa, but I wouldn't let it stop me. Rain could be all day every day, some days part of the day, no rain everyday, or rain a few minutes each day or sporadic days.....I say GO and have fun. Everything is so green too.
kmactravel is offline  
Jan 13th, 2007, 04:29 PM
  #3  
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 26
ooooops, didn't proff. I meant to say, unusual sightings anyone had SEEN.
kmactravel is offline  
Jan 13th, 2007, 04:34 PM
  #4  
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 14,440
What is your itinerary? I'd check in with your agent and ask what alternatives are being made. You may have to trade Lewa for elsewhere, but I would not cancel unless the financial consequences to you are very minimal.
atravelynn is offline  
Jan 14th, 2007, 04:51 AM
  #5  
sandi
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Absolutely ask your agent about the alternative to Lewa. Im sure you're not the only travelers heading here or elsewhere in Kenya/Tanzania. The ground outfitters are probably scurrying about looking for options to areas that will be closed or impassable.
 
Jan 14th, 2007, 09:26 AM
  #6  
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 1,252
Lots of people have had rainy safaris recently and everyone seems to have had a great time (not just those posting here, but also the people I met during my rainy safari). I would think it highly unlikely you'll be stuck indoors for more than one day, and you certainly won't be restricted to your tent (unless you are doing basic camping?). Lewa is doing the right thing way beyond what most places would do (closing because they cannot offer full service) and I think you'll be extremely unlucky if they decide to open and then can't take their guests out.

The wildlife won't hide. You'll see a little less and it'll be a bit more difficult to see clearly at times but it'll be fine. I would be slightly disappointed if I were you but I certainly wouldn't be cancelling.

But then of course I'm not you.

kimburu is offline  
Jan 14th, 2007, 12:46 PM
  #7  
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 532
and to add to kimburu's comments. it will also be very green and lush with lots of wild flowers and no dust.

i would not cancel either, but then again i'm not you.
joeyi is offline  
Jan 14th, 2007, 07:45 PM
  #8  
santharamhari
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Spend more time in the Mara if you can? and hope that the rains are keeping other visitors away, so that you can have uninterrupted sightings to just a few jeeps.

Hari
 
Jan 21st, 2007, 07:23 PM
  #9  
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 5
I got back from Kenya one week ago tonight and things began to dry up when I was there keep the trip and have fun
drdrake is offline  
Feb 13th, 2007, 06:24 PM
  #10  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 13
We took the trip! It rained one afternoon during our game drive at Lewa Downs and we saw a beautiful double rainbow.

It only rained twice in the Mara--both times in the evening and this did not affect any of our game drives. The roads were fine due to some dry weather the week before we arrived.

We were fortunate . . . it was green and, for the most part, dry.
Amunah is offline  
Feb 13th, 2007, 09:06 PM
  #11  
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 748
I'm so glad happy for you that things worked out.

A double rainbow, with Kenya as the pot of gold at the end...
nevermind is offline  
Feb 14th, 2007, 10:10 AM
  #12  
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 12,871
Glad to hear it turned out to be fine. Will you be posting a report or photos? I'd love to hear more about Lewa.
Patty is online now  
Feb 14th, 2007, 10:14 AM
  #13  
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 4,222
Glad to hear you went and had fun, Amunah.

Photos???
Leely is offline  
Feb 14th, 2007, 12:14 PM
  #14  
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 14,440
When I saw this post topped again, I was hoping you had gone and returned with a good experience.

A double rainbow! Please post more when you are able.
atravelynn is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO

All times are GMT -8. The time now is 04:23 PM.